Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108795 Likes Search this Thread
03-25-2017, 02:33 AM - 1 Like   #34546
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
As this thread is only read by the sharpest and brightest members of the forums . . . . . . .
You're too kind.

. . . . . . . . . . . can someone explain to me why telephones and TV remotes have the numbers one way, and calculators another?
I have no idea.

03-25-2017, 05:36 AM   #34547
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Hey. I just found out that I'm darned happy. It says so even on Wikipedia, so it must be true, right? According to the World Happiness Report for 2017 Norwegians are now the friggin' happiest people in the world. How miserable mustn't the Danes be dumping down to second place, huh?

03-25-2017, 05:46 AM - 2 Likes   #34548
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

As this thread is only read by the sharpest and brightest members of the forums ( the others won't know I've said that ) can someone explain to me why telephones and TV remotes have the numbers one way, and calculators another? These images were taken with my P&S X-5 as to not defile this thread. Cheers.
There's more than one possible explanation, and they vary quite a bit: Keyboard Trivia

Here, in the time of the rotary dial phones we managed to have two different layouts even of that. One for Oslo, another for the rest of the country

03-25-2017, 05:50 AM - 1 Like   #34549
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
As this thread is only read by the sharpest and brightest members of the forums ( the others won't know I've said that ) can someone explain to me why telephones and TV remotes have the numbers one way, and calculators another? These images were taken with my P&S X-5 as to not defile this thread. Cheers.
Keyboard Trivia

this was my guess

coming from an industry where zero can equal zero, one or ten depending on context this made total sense

03-25-2017, 05:53 AM - 2 Likes   #34550
Veteran Member

can someone explain to me why telephones and TV remotes have the numbers one way, and calculators another?
Let's not leave out the rotary dial.
I can still see my blind dad using a rotary phone, he would start by putting 4 fingers in the holes, pinky in the 1, index finger in the 4.
Then move them to higher numbers/letters when needed.
The phone number we had after we moved to St Louis in 1961 was PRospect 6 8008, but I do not know my cell number.
edit, looks like savoche beat me to it.

03-25-2017, 05:55 AM   #34551
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Here, in the time of the rotary dial phones we managed to have two different layouts even of that. One for Oslo, another for the rest of the country
WOW !! There must have been sooooo many wrong numbers. I bet Norwegians weren't too happy back then.
Congratulations on topping the list now.
03-25-2017, 06:17 AM - 1 Like   #34552
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm going to take the lead to get the lead out. Hopefully I will not have led anyone astray. Anyone who agrees say here hear. Or there,their they're. I'm so confused. Now I'm not happy. I'm going to say bye now because I need to stop by the store to buy something.

03-25-2017, 06:34 AM   #34553
Veteran Member

Weekly weigh in time VoR I hit 212lbs officially down 19 now , 37 to go 1/3 of the way, but loss will of course slow as time progresses more functionally I have a lot not clothes that fit now lol
03-25-2017, 06:43 AM - 1 Like   #34554
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Interesting observation, Peter. I had never noticed that.
Something that certainly needs to be explored in depth.
03-25-2017, 07:26 AM   #34555
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
I'm going to take the lead to get the lead out.
Funny you mention this, I had to google LEAD this morning.
I have a granddaughter in the Air Force ROTC at Colorado State and got word that she was chosen for the LEAD program, here's what I found:
"The Leadership Evaluation and Development program is designed to evaluate military leadership and discipline, determine the cadet's potential for entry into the Professional Officer Course (POC), and to stratify cadets amongst their peers."

She did all she could to get into the Air Force Academy, all the qualifications were met, but she didn't have the political clout needed to make it in.
It did not deter her ambition, and we are all so proud of her.
03-25-2017, 08:14 AM   #34556
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
I have a granddaughter in the Air Force ROTC at Colorado State and got word that she was chosen for the LEAD program, here's what I found:
She will go far! Give her my congrats! Our youngest son had great grades, and a guaranteed appointment to West Point (My Dad was a Bird Col and had many political connections) But our son wanted to go to Texas A&M Corps of Cadets like my Dad. Made my Dad so proud! He went on to graduate and my Dad swore him into the Army.....the rest is history....22 years and retired a Lt Col.

You should be proud, only the best make it. Military has great benefits, some almost unbelievable for retired Vets. Artie is working on his PHD, got his Masters two years ago and the Army paid for it all...along with his house payments while he is in college....and he lives in a damn fine home!

Make sure she is aware of all the "good things" available if she decides to go career Military. Air Force is a much better life than Army, and safer too!

Regards!

...You guys can have another "Hot Day" today without old Rupert...and I don't mind...We're heading to Llano and Coopers BBQ, then on to Willow Loop for the most wildflowers in Texas along a gorgeous loop of all kinds of scenic views and wildflowers.

Willow City Loop | Hill Country Trail Region

Coopers and Willow Loop One Day Trips | Flickr

Can hardly wait!

This time I won't try to snatch Mrs Rupert's pecan cobbler.....she guaranteed I can have my own! I love traveling with a woman loaded in cash!
03-25-2017, 01:10 PM - 2 Likes   #34557
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's pretty weird Rupert! You post food and the thread is dead for 5 hours. There's a disturbance in the force it seems.
03-25-2017, 01:21 PM   #34558
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Weekly weigh in time VoR I hit 212lbs officially down 19 now , 37 to go 1/3 of the way, but loss will of course slow as time progresses more functionally I have a lot not clothes that fit now lol
Been hovering at 190lbs (86kilos) for a week or more.
03-25-2017, 01:21 PM   #34559
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
I'm going to take the lead to get the lead out. Hopefully I will not have led anyone astray. Anyone who agrees say here hear. Or there,their they're. I'm so confused. Now I'm not happy. I'm going to say bye now because I need to stop by the store to buy something.
Lead, follow or get out of the way.
03-25-2017, 01:55 PM   #34560
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Interesting observation, Peter. I had never noticed that. Something that certainly needs to be explored in depth.
Thanks Jim. If I didn't spend so much time on the phone and watching TV, I wouldn't have noticed either !!
« AF1 vs AF2 | - »