Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2017, 09:15 PM - 1 Like   #34651
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Y'all are going back to horses and buggies?

That would be fun !!!

03-27-2017, 09:38 PM   #34652
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Hi Tim & Racer

Tim did you turn the light off when you left ?
We now have no pollution but we're all on welfare so pick your poison.
Well bacon production must be our savior.

Dave
I hope the people there can get their act together. One day I will go back.

---------- Post added 03-28-17 at 03:14 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
As if a car doesn't already cost too much in Australia.
Like almost everything else. It is often cheaper in Australia to buy online in US, send to a US address, because many US sellers do not sell direct to Australia, and then pay the forwarder to post to Australia, than to buy in Australia. Created a business opportunity for some people to facilitate this. Shops in Australia complain but do not get competitive to avoid the interest in this.
03-27-2017, 10:01 PM - 1 Like   #34653
dbs
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
I hope the people there can get their act together. One day I will go back.

---------- Post added 03-28-17 at 03:14 PM ----------

Like almost everything else. It is often cheaper in Australia to buy online in US, send to a US address, because many US sellers do not sell direct to Australia, and then pay the forwarder to post to Australia, than to buy in Australia. Created a business opportunity for some people to facilitate this. Shops in Australia complain but do not get competitive to avoid the interest in this.
Hi Tim
The younger ones of the older ones are still here so still the same as before so no change.
Hope you can come home soon regardless.
Yes all the cars will be imported ,a shame really. The Australian Divisions mostly made a profit but not enough to help head office .
So maybe they should have closed the main office instead and left us alone!
Whishful thinking I know!

Dave
03-28-2017, 03:05 AM   #34654
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tim did you turn the light off when you left ?
No Dave, no-one has turned the lights out. You crow eaters just blew-up you last real power station.
We smart Victorians are just starting to take lessons from you; Hazelwood PS has just shut down one generator, and the remaining seven will be gone soon.
We still have our lights switched on: it is just that there is either no energy available to make them work, or there won't be soon!!

03-28-2017, 04:22 AM   #34655
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Thanks Bob....it is wonderful, Mrs Rupert had two slices, which is highly uncommon!
Glad to now you both liked it!
Thank you for recommending the Aldi's jumbo shrimp, we had those and Aldi's tater tots for dinner, good eats!
In this week's ad they have Kobe ground beef at $7/lb, not cheap for GB but I've always wanted to try Kobe, and so have my grills.
03-28-2017, 05:07 AM   #34656
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Glad to now you both liked it!
Thank you for recommending the Aldi's jumbo shrimp, we had those and Aldi's tater tots for dinner, good eats!
In this week's ad they have Kobe ground beef at $7/lb, not cheap for GB but I've always wanted to try Kobe, and so have my grills.
We did like it! Will like it again tonight when we eat the rest of it! Last night we had those jumbo shrimp, clam cakes( $2.99 for a dozen and they were delicious!) and some Aldi canned veggies...excellent. Some small Aldi biscuits (.49 cents a can) and washed down with Aldi milk ($1.59 a gallon)

Got to make an Aldi run today....getting low on Winking Owl.($2.89 a bottle) Need more of those shrimp too...hope they have them? So many things at Aldis are "seasonal" and when you find something really good, you need to stock up on it.

Regards & Happy grilling!
03-28-2017, 08:26 AM   #34657
Veteran Member

...well with the bike I said screw it, and just adjusted the brakes and gears to work nicely. The chain oiled runs smoothly and the frame doesn't appear to have any rust on it... It rides nicely now but the pedals are old toe clip ones (I'd like some new clipless ones - but then I'd need shoes as well...) and the saddle isn't the best, but the bike works fine. Any suggestions on ways to carry lunch and some books to school? I'm thinking a rear rack will probably be easiest? I'm not wearing a backpack - last time I wore one on the bike my back was killing me for days.

03-28-2017, 10:06 AM   #34658
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
...well with the bike I said screw it, and just adjusted the brakes and gears to work nicely. The chain oiled runs smoothly and the frame doesn't appear to have any rust on it... It rides nicely now but the pedals are old toe clip ones (I'd like some new clipless ones - but then I'd need shoes as well...) and the saddle isn't the best, but the bike works fine. Any suggestions on ways to carry lunch and some books to school? I'm thinking a rear rack will probably be easiest? I'm not wearing a backpack - last time I wore one on the bike my back was killing me for days.
I always used Blackburn racks...with and without panniers

my mountain bike racks had plates over the tires...no mud lines up your back

I never liked clipless pedals...using toe clips just make sure whatever shoes you wear can come out when you want them to
03-28-2017, 10:10 AM - 1 Like   #34659
Veteran Member

Yep, get a passenger and have them carry your gear....you can ride in the back and play your bagpipe as you go along...killing snakes, rodents, and other vermin as you enjoy the ride!
Name:  DSCF0720.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  335.5 KB

Jim can customize it for you.....a nice horn, some lights, some handlebar streamers and maybe some custom paint?

Regards!
03-28-2017, 10:20 AM   #34660
Site Supporter

So should I check out the Aldis across the road from the building I work out of?
03-28-2017, 10:32 AM   #34661
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
So should I check out the Aldis across the road from the building I work out of?
Only if you want great food at the lowest prices?

Regards!
03-28-2017, 10:42 AM - 2 Likes   #34662
Veteran Member

Any suggestions on ways to carry lunch and some books to school?
Sounds like a minor problem.

03-28-2017, 11:41 AM   #34663
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

The Army used bicycles quite a bit during WWII. Their testing showed that the best place to carry heavy loads was on a front rack. The weight distribution ratio on a bicycle is roughly 65/35 rear/front. Adding weight to the rear increase that differential. Putting it up front reduces it, thus disturbing the handling of the bike less.
03-28-2017, 11:45 AM   #34664
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
The Army used bicycles quite a bit during WWII. Their testing showed that the best place to carry heavy loads was on a front rack. The weight distribution ratio on a bicycle is roughly 65/35 rear/front. Adding weight to the rear increase that differential. Putting it up front reduces it, thus disturbing the handling of the bike less.
So a front pannier rack might be better?
03-28-2017, 12:05 PM   #34665
Pentaxian

Hi Tim
The younger ones of the older ones are still here so still the same as before so no change.
Hope you can come home soon regardless.
Yes all the cars will be imported ,a shame really. The Australian Divisions mostly made a profit but not enough to help head office .
So maybe they should have closed the main office instead and left us alone!
Whishful thinking I know!

Dave

I remember way back in the late 70s. The Chrysler plant at Tonsley was the only Chrysler factory in the world making a profit. But instead of flogging off all the loss making ones in places like Detroit, they punished the Australian workers by selling them to Mitsubishi. And then in the 2000's when Mitsubishi got into the financial trouble in Japan, again Tonsley was their only factory making a profit, so they closed it, to punish the Australian workers for making a profit.

The problem of running an economy as the outposts of multi-national companies. Even being their only factory making a profit is not enough to keep you in business.
« AF1 vs AF2 | - »