Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108795 Likes Search this Thread
04-28-2017, 01:13 PM - 2 Likes   #35521
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
I've been thinking (scary I know) maybe we need a secret handshake, or hand sign, so if we ever run into each other on the street we will know.
Maybe something like this:
Just hold up your camera brother, I'll know ye.

04-28-2017, 01:32 PM - 1 Like   #35522
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Just hold up your camera brother, I'll know ye.
Well, yes, but not all with our make of camera are on the thread. Or even this forum. One of the very few I've seen with a Pentax around here was at a concert with his K-5 and DA21 - filming the performance. I instantly knew he was not a PFer, or else he would have known he did the impossible

Oh, sorry, gear talk...

Hail bacon!
04-28-2017, 05:05 PM - 1 Like   #35523
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
One of the very few I've seen with a Pentax around here was at a concert with his K-5 and DA21 - filming the performance
They have a film model k5 in Norway?

04-29-2017, 11:25 AM - 1 Like   #35524
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Today I went driving with Mrs Tim to the south west suburbs of London. A40, M40, M25, A3 and some streets. Weather was nice. Got 54 miles per gallon.

We went ot buy stuff. Found a good east Asian grocery store, Chinese, Japanese and Korean stuff. Cheaper than the others we had found by enough it was worth going all that way. Also, found a good Korean restaurant at KT3 4NT (google map that postcode and you can work it out). And, just for Australians the street number is 96, but Abigail was not there.

We had BBQ but it is not what others of you name BBQ in this thread.

04-29-2017, 10:31 PM - 1 Like   #35525
Pentaxian

Someone liked my last contribution.

Could have been an American having their understanding of the diversity of definitions of BBQ expanded.
Could have been an Australian with the reference to Number 96.
Or an English person thankful for practical advice.
Whilst we were in the big supermarket we found a couple who had travelled about 40 miles to get there saying it was the cheapest similar place they had found. Another week we will try a different place, a Chinese one, in the north of London, near the A40. About 20 miles each way. Not too far from Wembly and Tottenham and near the south end of the M1.

---------- Post added 04-30-17 at 04:34 PM ----------

A news story this morning was the waste of food here caused by supermarkets. The problem they were discussing included the 'perfect' stuff in supermarkets. I grew fruit at my previous house. They were all different. Shops want to support online shopping and things like that, and have pre-packed sets of fruit and veg, at standard prices and all that, so the result is there is a lot of wastage of stuff the farmers grow that does not fit the spec.

I really want every wing Racer makers to be within tolerance of the specs, but my apples can be various shapes and sizes without loss to me. Why apply Racer's boss's standards to apples?

Last edited by tim60; 04-29-2017 at 10:50 PM.
04-30-2017, 12:50 AM   #35526
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Why apply Racer's boss's standards to apples?
...makes sense.

Similarly, it would be ludicrous to fit four different sized tyres (tires for our septic friends!) to a motor car (automobile for our septic friends) and there would be lots of other examples; but apples??
Apples are a natural product - they don't grow to absolute, predetermined, millimetre (millimeter to our septic friends) perfect specifications.
Let them be sold au naturel (minus any grubs, of course)
04-30-2017, 05:11 AM - 1 Like   #35527
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
...makes sense.

Similarly, it would be ludicrous to fit four different sized tyres (tires for our septic friends!) to a motor car (automobile for our septic friends) and there would be lots of other examples; but apples??
Apples are a natural product - they don't grow to absolute, predetermined, millimetre (millimeter to our septic friends) perfect specifications.
Why "septic"?

sep·tic
ˈseptik/Submit
adjective
(chiefly of a wound or a part of the body) infected with bacteria.
synonyms: infected, festering, suppurating, pus-filled, putrid, putrefying, poisoned, diseased; purulent
"a septic finger"
denoting a drainage system incorporating a septic tank.

04-30-2017, 05:12 AM   #35528
Veteran Member

The only thing worse than finding a worm in your apple is finding half of one.
04-30-2017, 05:13 AM   #35529
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
Why "septic"?
denoting a drainage system incorporating a septic tank.
Cockney rhyming slang. Septic tank = Yank
04-30-2017, 05:17 AM   #35530
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
Why "septic"?
Hi Jim, "septic" = short for "septic tamk" = yank. Meant in a very friendly way (by me at least!!)

Compare with "pom" = englishman - Only derogatory when prefixed by whinging, as in whinging pom.

EDIT I should have read Mike's post first!!

(Mike is a pom. I haven't noticed him whinge though.)
04-30-2017, 05:26 AM   #35531
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Trust me, I have my moments
04-30-2017, 05:40 AM - 1 Like   #35532
Veteran Member

"pom"
The only poms I know are pom poms.

04-30-2017, 05:44 AM - 1 Like   #35533
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Hi Jim, "septic" = short for "septic tamk" = yank. Meant in a very friendly way (by me at least!!)

Compare with "pom" = englishman - Only derogatory when prefixed by whinging, as in whinging pom.

EDIT I should have read Mike's post first!!

Got it! And my question was inquiry as opposed to complaint. Our daughter is a linguist and certified translator - her curiosity about languages has rubbed off. We 'septics' hardly have a common tongue ... here is an interesting series if you have the time:

“Do you speak American?” from PBS (2005), about one hour per episode…

Episode 1

Episode 2

Episode 3
04-30-2017, 08:05 AM   #35534
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
The only poms I know are pom poms.

I know lots and none of them look like that.

---------- Post added 05-01-17 at 01:41 AM ----------

...makes sense.

I think you mean inches for those from the place across an ocean from both of us.

And I think there is so much perversion of the agricultural sector caused by supermarkets wanting to treat fruit and veg just like manufactured machine parts - every one looks the same, feels the same, and they all have a shelf life long enough to ship them around the country from the farm to the depot and then back again to the supermarket after leaving them for several days or more in a pile at the depot. Most of the natural shelf life is used up by the shop keeping the stuff before the customers ever see it.

---------- Post added 05-01-17 at 01:57 AM ----------

And I think the origin of pom is not that much different.

When I was young I read an English model train magazine which had an article. It was about a steam locomotive nicknamed the pom-pom because it sounded like the pom-pom cannon, QF 1-pounder pom-pom - Wikipedia. The cannon was nicknamed because of the sound it made on firing. And the soldiers who used them, Englishmen, became known as poms.

The name was onomatopoeic of the sound of something, pretty much the same mechanism as the cockney rhyming slang.
04-30-2017, 10:12 AM - 2 Likes   #35535
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
whack

Remember who kicked your ass in 1776.