Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2014, 11:04 AM   #3556
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I know. Some of the most enjoyable experiences I have had were while snow skiing.
Blargh, I can do very well without snow. We had an unusually nice (that is, mild and wet) winter until the second week of January. Then the winter did come. I can't really think of a single good thing about snow. Sure, it looks innocent but...

Well, that's why I won't buy a K-3.

01-20-2014, 12:04 PM   #3557
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I'm still grappling with the philosophical implications of creating a wilderness, that wasn't there before.
Yes...if you made it, is it worth saving?

Steve
01-20-2014, 03:19 PM   #3558
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by germar Quote
Can someone say "Lock This Thread???"
We've tarred and feathered 3 members amd hanged two others for saying that.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Sir, before making such a quick judgment, you should consider reading all the post in this thread, starting with page one...
There will be a quiz on it tomorrow.
01-20-2014, 04:06 PM   #3559
jac
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
It did snow here once but nobody much liked it.
Without snow, there would be no glaciers. Without glaciers storing all that snow, Chesapeake Bay would flow over Baltimore like a tsunami and all your neighbours would be fish. You'll see soon enough when Tokyo burns and melts all the snow and glaciers.

Last edited by jac; 01-20-2014 at 04:26 PM.
01-20-2014, 04:26 PM   #3560
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Wusses
Guilty. Actually, I think a serious snow is fun but the piddling 1-3" variety we usually get around here that's just a pain in the butt.
01-20-2014, 04:34 PM   #3561
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Yes...if you made it, is it worth saving?

Steve
Only if there are endangered species in it.
01-20-2014, 05:25 PM   #3562
Site Supporter

Only if there are endangered species in it.
Like the rare and beleaguered Pentax?

Steve
01-20-2014, 05:37 PM   #3563
Veteran Member

Guilty. Actually, I think a serious snow is fun but the piddling 1-3" variety we usually get around here that's just a pain in the butt.

You would go out of your mind here. The weatherman can empty the bread and milk aisles with a 1-3 forecast. The sad thing is these people never learned how to drive on snow so staying home is the safest approach.

01-20-2014, 06:47 PM - 1 Like   #3564
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Colbyt Quote
You would go out of your mind here. The weatherman can empty the bread and milk aisles with a 1-3 forecast. The sad thing is these people never learned how to drive on snow so staying home is the safest approach.
This is St. Louis. You know -- if you don't like the weather, just wait . . . .

That grocery store melee happens here the first snow every season. Then as if by magic everyone recalls how to pre-stock, drive, leave early, etc. and we're back to normal. Then the weather casters get us all agitated by calling for double-digit accumulations (especially if it is Sweeps Week and they go into Storm Mode 24/7). And when the Mayor and County Executive say, "Just stay home and let us plow." we all immediately GO OUT AND BLOCK THE ROADS getting bread, milk and eggs (and Velveeta!).

Then winter is over and it is tornado season. First time we head for the laundry room when the storm sirens go off. Then we remember how to read weather radar and go about our business if the echo is far enough away. I was once watching a weathercast when a tornado went drectly over the TV Studio and the weather guy kept right on going from under his desk. That really happened! Then the stupid funnel cloud attacked the airport and we lost half our gates for 18 months. If we don't have tornadoes we have to sandbag all the rivers, but we all know how to do that. Boy Scout Troop Community Service, Church Youth Groups - it's a cultural thing.

After tornado season it's Heat Alert. Stay indoors and don't breathe. (Really). So we all go to Michigan. Really. There's a cocktail party Friday night, and then another Saturday night with most of the same people, but it's in Saugatuck or Macatawa or Crystal Lake. Maybe Harbor Point if you're rich. Or Door County, Wis. if you run in a different St. Louis pack. But August isn't here. Kinda meta, that.

For about three weeks in late September and early October things are normal. Then it snows again.

Somebody should take a picture.

Last edited by monochrome; 01-21-2014 at 09:54 AM.
01-20-2014, 07:20 PM   #3565
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
if you don't like the weather, just wait . . . .
I was in Northern Virginia today - it was sunny and 57 (F), with salt trucks spraying roads and a BMTP frenzy (bread/milk/toilet paper) in the grocery store.
01-20-2014, 07:30 PM   #3566
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
I was in Northern Virginia today - it was sunny and 57 (F), with salt trucks spraying roads and a BMTP frenzy (bread/milk/toilet paper) in the grocery store.
Were they spraying with salt brine, beet juice or cheese brine? Drudge has a link about that.
01-20-2014, 07:42 PM   #3567
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Were they spraying with salt brine, beet juice or cheese brine? Drudge has a link about that.
I'm going to guess just salt brine, since it dried white and didn't smell cheesy.
01-20-2014, 07:56 PM   #3568
Site Supporter

One winter, some years ago. I build my own snow-gun. Worked great for my latitude, wife did not like it much, covered her car in the frozen stuff. I remember her saying something along the lines like "what the hell is wrong with you"

edit: therefore, my driveway will have to freeze over before I will consider the K3.
01-20-2014, 08:53 PM   #3569
Loyal Site Supporter

Happy shoveling tomorrow. My daughter is in College Park.
01-20-2014, 09:15 PM   #3570

QuoteOriginally posted by jac Quote
Without snow, there would be no glaciers. Without glaciers storing all that snow, Chesapeake Bay would flow over Baltimore like a tsunami and all your neighbours would be fish.
That wouldn't be so bad.