Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108796 Likes Search this Thread
05-14-2017, 08:03 AM - 1 Like   #36106
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
I would love to have one of those to play with.
Me too.

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
Shooting is a hobby of mine.
Same here.

05-14-2017, 09:06 AM - 2 Likes   #36107
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I don't think they should be allowed to call it Scotch. Fine single-malt whisky, yes, but Scotch? Certainly not.

Interesting fact - at least, for the Japanese whisky I tried, the producers had shipped genuine Scottish peat to Japan to aid in the whisky-making process...
I like good Scotch occasionally, but prefer Cognac. I don't think the Japanese can duplicate it? A pint lasts me a long time. I only drink it on cold winter nights, often in a cup of very black coffee. For cooking, it can make one of the finest steak sauces I have ever enjoyed.

Regards!
05-14-2017, 09:30 AM   #36108
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I like good Scotch occasionally, but prefer Cognac. I don't think the Japanese can duplicate it?
If they haven't already they will.
05-14-2017, 10:10 AM - 2 Likes   #36109
Veteran Member

For cooking, it can make one of the finest steak sauces I have ever enjoyed.
1/4 cup finely chopped shallots....or green onion stems. Shallots are better, a sweeter more robust flavor.
Three heaping tablespoons of butter....salted or unsalted (Two if you are on a diet, but if you are on a diet, skip this recipe!)
One cup of heavy cream
Two ounces of Cognac.

In a frying pan, saute the shallots in butter until translucent. Add the cognac and blend, then light it on fire and reduce it. Add the cream and simmer on low heat until thickened...a tablespoon of white flour can be added and well blended if you desire a ticker sauce.
When grilling T-bones or rib-eyes I have been known to add a little of the fat from them to the sauce in the first stage of cooking.

So simple, so delicious over any cut of steak. Flank steaks really light in flavor up with this sauce. Great as a dipping sauce with rib-eyes or sirloin too.
My Mom used to always ask me for this "special sauce " when she came down for steaks, it is so delicious! Then she found out about the Cognac and stopped asking.....

Regards!

05-14-2017, 10:10 AM   #36110
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I like good Scotch occasionally, but prefer Cognac. I don't think the Japanese can duplicate it? A pint lasts me a long time. I only drink it on cold winter nights, often in a cup of very black coffee. For cooking, it can make one of the finest steak sauces I have ever enjoyed.
I can't drink Cognac on it's own, but I agree it's great in a really good cup of coffee... preferably with single cream, and maybe even a teaspoon of cocoa

I'm ashamed to say I've only ever tasted Cognac in a sauce that was made for me. My culinary skills don't stretch that far
05-14-2017, 10:25 AM   #36111
Veteran Member

I can't drink Cognac on it's own, but I agree it's great in a really good cup of coffee...
I can sip it straight, but very slowly and very seldom. It's strength is in other drinks...like black coffee or some other combination. For cooking it is wonderful, the flavor is so unique. In many instances it substitutes well for rum to make an unusual and different drink.

Not much of a drinker at all anymore, but when I did drink hard liquor, a good gin was my preference. Gin and soda.....Gin and tonic ...simple stuff with no sweet taste residue.
Rum.....worst hangover ever from rum...and when rum comes up, it is a killer! Leaves a residual taste in your mouth that lasts for days. Wonderful going down! Not so coming back up.

Regards!
05-14-2017, 10:42 AM   #36112
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

Regards!

Do you mean you like the Scotch or the Cognac?

Personally I like scotch but find the majority of cognacs I have had fit the description of Winking Owl you have repeated here often.

Saw a squirrel, a grey one, this morning. I was walking out of the car park at the Oxford City College, and there was one about 6 feet in front of me on the ground. It moved fast.

05-14-2017, 12:52 PM   #36113
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Personally I like scotch but find the majority of cognacs I have had fit the description of Winking Owl you have repeated here often.
Every taste is different! This one is as decent as Cognac comes from my experience.

Yep, squirrels can move along pretty damn fast! Sometimes they amaze me by being "here and there" at the same time.

Regards!
05-14-2017, 01:52 PM - 1 Like   #36114
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've had Courvoisier and it is very good.
I've also tried Hennessy cognac. It's flavor can easily be duplicated by dumping a handful of black pepper into a 5th of cheap vodka.
05-14-2017, 01:55 PM   #36115
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Courvoisier wasn't bad but all the black guys I worked with drank Hennessey...that was a treat as long as I didn't have to smoke kools along with it

old bobby said that cognac was just wine made right

Armagnac and calvados are both fruit drinks that I enjoyed as well

---------- Post added 05-14-17 at 02:02 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I've had Courvoisier and it is very good.
I've also tried Hennessy cognac. It's flavor can easily be duplicated by dumping a handful of black pepper into a 5th of cheap vodka.
drop peppercorns into a fifth of vodka (it all tastes the same) and let it percolate for week or so
it isn't too bad

when you guys were talking about wine earlier
the only wine that was worth the effort was mad dog 20/20 cut with everclear to take the sweet out of it
now that was the breakfast of champions

that concoction could take a grown man to the third circle of puke-your-guts -out hell
05-14-2017, 02:18 PM   #36116
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

1/4 cup finely chopped shallots....or green onion stems. Shallots are better, a sweeter more robust flavor.
Three heaping tablespoons of butter....salted or unsalted (Two if you are on a diet, but if you are on a diet, skip this recipe!)
One cup of heavy cream
Two ounces of Cognac.

In a frying pan, saute the shallots in butter until translucent. Add the cognac and blend, then light it on fire and reduce it. Add the cream and simmer on low heat until thickened...a tablespoon of white flour can be added and well blended if you desire a ticker sauce.
When grilling T-bones or rib-eyes I have been known to add a little of the fat from them to the sauce in the first stage of cooking.

So simple, so delicious over any cut of steak. Flank steaks really light in flavor up with this sauce. Great as a dipping sauce with rib-eyes or sirloin too.
My Mom used to always ask me for this "special sauce " when she came down for steaks, it is so delicious! Then she found out about the Cognac and stopped asking.....

Regards!
This wins post of the day Jim.

Way to go!

nice
05-14-2017, 02:22 PM - 1 Like   #36117
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

I can't drink Cognac on it's own, but I agree it's great in a really good cup of coffee... preferably with single cream, and maybe even a teaspoon of cocoa
All three, at the same time.

At Christmas add some peppermint schnapps, a candy cane and a dollop of marshmallow cream on top.

Oh yeah.
05-14-2017, 02:23 PM - 1 Like   #36118
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
All three, at the same time.

At Christmas add some peppermint schnapps, a candy cane and a dollop of marshmallow cream on top.

Oh yeah.
Better add some Bailey's too.

And a shot of Kahlua.
05-14-2017, 02:34 PM - 1 Like   #36119
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Not much of a drinker at all anymore, but when I did drink hard liquor, a good gin was my preference. Gin and soda.....Gin and tonic ...simple stuff with no sweet taste residue.
05-14-2017, 02:38 PM   #36120
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

I want one of these.