Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2014, 01:03 PM   #3601
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Colbyt Quote
You made me think. I wonder if one could pull the same stunt with a pressure washer using the widest nozzle?
You might be able to pull it off, it would have to be really cold however.
Key thing is to get the water droplets really small and give then plenty time in the air to form ice crystals.

Snowmaking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

01-21-2014, 01:15 PM   #3602
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
In fairness, we aren't equipped to handle it like northern states (wouldn't be worth it when it only snows once or twice per year), and what we do get is usually more ice than snow.
Exactly. I lived in Charlotte for a while and this was my take. I was also surprised--during my grad school days--that (some) drivers in Albany, NY weren't all that great in snow, either.

01-21-2014, 05:19 PM   #3603
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
East coast's gonna get it!!! Is it the end of the world?? Is it snowmageddon?? These are the days that weather bunnies live for!!!

On the other topic: why not mount the solar panel on a hat and have a cord go to the camera? Have Hocir on the front and make the panel look like a waffle!
01-21-2014, 05:28 PM   #3604
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Joel B Quote
"I always keep my feathers numbered for just such an emergency!"- F. Leghorn

01-21-2014, 05:49 PM   #3605
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So far, got maybe an inch. They are calling for 7 degrees F and 20-30 mph winds by the morning.
I doubt that my heat-pump will do much good.
Managed to drag my 17 yo. out of the bed and force her behind the wheel of her Jeep Grand Cherokee this afternoon. For a new driver, first time ever on icy roads, she drove pretty darn well.

And, I will not buy the K3, because they called for 3 to 5" and it is not happening .
Might have to deep-fry some cheese to ease the disappointment .
01-21-2014, 05:55 PM   #3606
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's coming down here but not sticking - the ground is still too warm. Might freeze overnight.

My dad did the same thing with me - taught me to turn into a slide, share the road when there's only two ruts, avoid buying a K-3...
01-21-2014, 06:19 PM   #3607
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's coming down here but not sticking - the ground is still too warm. Might freeze overnight.

My dad did the same thing with me - taught me to turn into a slide, share the road when there's only two ruts, avoid buying a K-3...
We had fun, she was not quite ready for the "Scandinavian flick"... just yet.
edit: if a K3 can do a weight-shift before a turn, I might have to consider it. Nah.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 01-21-2014 at 06:38 PM.
01-21-2014, 06:33 PM   #3608
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
I'm a big warner Bros. cartoon fan!!! If you want real laughs, punch up Private Snafu on youtube!!

01-21-2014, 07:07 PM   #3609
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

...aaaaaand I think we're done, weather-wise. Well, that was a big NothingBurger.

Mentioning Warner Bros, this has been going through my head all weekend: "Wile E. Coyote, Super Genius".

01-21-2014, 07:19 PM   #3610
Veteran Member

Hocir Ricoh, Super Genius!!!!
Actually my favorite character is Slowpoke Rodriguez! He may be slow, but he carries a Beeeg gun!!!
01-21-2014, 07:22 PM   #3611
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, the panic is on in NC as well - they are talking 1-2 inches (OMG!!!) plus the dreaded Black Ice, which could bring all infrastructure to a halt for weeks, so I must rush out and buy all the B/M/TP I can find. The grocery stores really should have those inflatable flappy-guy things outside when there is a snow or hurricane alert.

We don't have much of a cheese making industry - they could spray the roads with the byproduct from our major agri-industry (poultry/hogs), but I don't think they'd like the results...
Todd,
Other than the artisanal Cheesers around Asheville this is the real deal in West Jefferson; Ashe County Cheese. I don't think either of the two Pentax owners in the local club has a K-3………yet.

Last edited by lukulele; 11-16-2014 at 03:24 PM.
01-21-2014, 07:39 PM - 1 Like   #3612
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lukulele Quote
Todd,
Other than the artisanal Cheesers around Asheville this is the real deal in West Jefferson; Ashe County Cheese. I don't think either of the two Pentax owners in the local club has a K-3………yet.
Sorry to disappoint you, but real cows (the source of real cheese) are not made of metal. I think these are the cows that make Cheez Whiz...

Steve
01-21-2014, 08:11 PM   #3613
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good to know we aren't completely out of the cheese world. Growing up in the coastal plain, sandhills, and Piedmont, pretty much the only cows I ever saw were beef types. Or maybe fiberglass - but never steel.
01-21-2014, 09:10 PM   #3614
Veteran Member

If steel cows make Cheese wiz, then the fiberglass ones must be for Velveeta! Now what kind of cow makes imitation??
01-21-2014, 09:41 PM - 1 Like   #3615
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Joel B Quote
If steel cows make Cheese wiz, then the fiberglass ones must be for Velveeta! Now what kind of cow makes imitation??
Plastic ones?