Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2017, 02:25 PM - 1 Like   #36166
Pentaxian
robtcorl's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: St Louis, MO
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 7,862
I had a hatchet head that came with a box of tools I bought cheap at a yard sale.
It looked old, had some markings, I don't remember now what they were, and research dated it to the Civil War era.
It brought a nice price on eBay.

05-15-2017, 02:29 PM   #36167
Pentaxian
robtcorl's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: St Louis, MO
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 7,862
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Brilliant food; tasty, and keeps forever.
So that and some Velveeta is all I need for my survival kit, Nice!
05-15-2017, 02:40 PM - 2 Likes   #36168
Insanely humble
Loyal Site Supporter
savoche's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Lowlands of Norway
Posts: 13,024
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
So that and some Velveeta is all I need for my survival kit, Nice!
That would sure test your ability to survive

Last edited by savoche; 05-15-2017 at 03:06 PM.
05-15-2017, 03:00 PM - 1 Like   #36169
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2015
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,400
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
So that and some Velveeta is all I need for my survival kit, Nice!
better get that axe as well...at some point you may need to beat those crackers into submission

oh a canteen or at least a jug of something to wash it all down with

without lubrication that mess of "cheese" and crackers will just sit there unable to pass...you'll be slow to move...the carnivorous squirrels will get you...I forgot , you do have the axe...don't you?

05-15-2017, 03:04 PM - 3 Likes   #36170
Pentaxian
robtcorl's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: St Louis, MO
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 7,862
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
That would sue test your ability to survive
A country boy will survive.

05-15-2017, 03:04 PM - 3 Likes   #36171
Insanely humble
Loyal Site Supporter
savoche's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Lowlands of Norway
Posts: 13,024
I believe Velveeta doesn't come with a "best before" date. Just a half life time.

Besides, much like lutefisk it is best before you actually try to eat some.
05-15-2017, 03:11 PM - 1 Like   #36172
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2015
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,400
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Let me see... Trying to catch on up the posts of the last week or so. Here goes...

Axes, farm pants, fountain pens, bagpipes, Japanese made in Scotland (or was that the other way around?), we can all trust Bobert... and some people actually prefer Cognac over Scotch? Hah, you almost got me there! And then back to cheese, more food, and bagpipes again. And more axes. And a light sprinkling of squirrels. Especially if combined with axes.

Did I miss anything?



I always find that curious. Why do they write it in Swedish if it's Danish? I believe the Danes would call it knækbrød. I have also seen Danish gräddost. Now, flødeost would be Danish. Gräddost is Swedish. Just as knäckebröd is. Which I eat daily. Swedish, though, not Danish. Brilliant food; tasty, and keeps forever. Very much unlike lutefisk which is off forever. Still, it's about the only "food" that's from Norway

The Japanese malt whiskies are really quite good, btw. They can't compete with a good Islay whisky, I think, but still good.
nope!

there really isn't really anything better than scotch
except perhaps gin...which isn't really a distilled spirit but an orally administered drug
but if one is imbibing, in the end rotgut will take you for the same ride as the premium brands
whether you have vision the next morning can be an issue however

a woman I worked with came from a Norwegian family
when talking about food you soon found that everything was grey or white (unless it had berries in it)
05-15-2017, 03:20 PM - 1 Like   #36173
Resident Bagpiper
Loyal Site Supporter
bertwert's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Golden, BC
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,235
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
we can all trust Bobert
Course you can...

05-15-2017, 03:40 PM   #36174
Moderator
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter
Racer X 69's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Great Pacific Northwet
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,622
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
You didn't brighten my day!
Now I have to agonize over wanting that hatchet but not being able to even rationalize, let alone justify buying it.
Thanks a lot
Rationalize it this way.

It is your civic duty to aid in squirrels being two places at once.
05-15-2017, 03:45 PM - 2 Likes   #36175
Moderator
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter
Racer X 69's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Great Pacific Northwet
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,622
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
That reminds me, several years ago we were surveying along some railroad tracks and there was a 'possum, half on one side of a rail, the other half on the other. Another slow ass 'possum bites the dust.
05-15-2017, 03:48 PM - 2 Likes   #36176
Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Parallax's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: South Dakota
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 16,054
QuoteOriginally posted by ccc_ Quote
nope!

there really isn't really anything better than scotch
except perhaps gin...which isn't really a distilled spirit but an orally administered drug
but if one is imbibing, in the end rotgut will take you for the same ride as the premium brands
whether you have vision the next morning can be an issue however

a woman I worked with came from a Norwegian family
when talking about food you soon found that everything was grey or white (unless it had berries in it)
I don't know if it was a coincidence or if there's something about gin that is less "next day friendly" than other spirits, but the worst (by far) hangover I ever had was after an evening of drinking gin.
I went to bed about midnight and woke up about 8:00a.m. It was late that afternoon before I was sure I was going to live, and the next morning before I was sure I wanted to.
That was nearly 35 years ago. I haven't had gin since.
05-15-2017, 03:53 PM - 1 Like   #36177
Moderator
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter
Racer X 69's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Great Pacific Northwet
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,622
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I always find that curious. Why do they write it in Swedish if it's Danish? I believe the Danes would call it knækbrød. I have also seen Danish gräddost. Now, flødeost would be Danish. Gräddost is Swedish. Just as knäckebröd is. Which I eat daily. Swedish, though, not Danish. Brilliant food; tasty, and keeps forever.
I call it Rye Crisp.






Also good with a slice of Swiss cheese and a smoked oyster.
05-15-2017, 04:04 PM - 2 Likes   #36178
Pentaxian
robtcorl's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: St Louis, MO
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 7,862
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
It was late that afternoon before I was sure I was going to live, and the next morning before I was sure I wanted to.
Sounds much like my one time Mad Dog 20/20 experience.
Most gin, to me, tastes like what I suspect Glade pine scent air freshener tastes like.
Don't like rosemary either, and I'll never ever grill anything on a cedar plank.
05-15-2017, 04:09 PM   #36179
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2015
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,400
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I don't know if it was a coincidence or if there's something about gin that is less "next day friendly" than other spirits, but the worst (by far) hangover I ever had was after an evening of drinking gin.
I went to bed about midnight and woke up about 8:00a.m. It was late that afternoon before I was sure I was going to live, and the next morning before I was sure I wanted to.
That was nearly 35 years ago. I haven't had gin since.
I always blamed it on the juniper berries

as a budding drunk I drank with a full-blown drunk who opined that martinis were only properly made with gin
but they took too long to arrive at his stool
as a consequence he drank straight gin by the tumbler
oodles and oodles of boodles

---------- Post added 05-15-17 at 04:17 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Sounds much like my one time Mad Dog 20/20 experience.
Most gin, to me, tastes like what I suspect Glade pine scent air freshener tastes like.
Don't like rosemary either, and I'll never ever grill anything on a cedar plank.
mad dog wasn't anything to be afraid of if you kept it on its leash

hated vodka...adored gin

I believe rosemary may be the secret ingredient in Campbell's chicken noodle soup
otherwise it and tarragon can stay wherever they found it

instead of cedar try oak, pecan or hickory planks
the few times I've done it I've been pleasantly surprised
05-15-2017, 04:20 PM   #36180
Moderator
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter
Racer X 69's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Great Pacific Northwet
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,622
QuoteOriginally posted by ccc_ Quote

oh a canteen or at least a jug of something to wash it all down with

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
bacon, bagpipes, beer, breakfast, canada, catch 22, cheese, drink, dslr, ford, general talk, gin, guns, igunaq, k-3, k-mount, k3, kids, lutefisk, lycra, marital relations, pentax k-3, possums, sandwich, scotch, shirley, snoring, spam, squirrels, toilet, tokyo
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
why I will buy a K3 chicagojohn Pentax K-3 80 09-18-2016 08:42 AM
Suggestion Neutralize the 'why I won't buy a k-3' thread crewl1 Site Suggestions and Help 61 10-04-2014 05:08 PM
Why I Won't Be Buying A K5IIs Racer X 69 Pentax K-5 40 02-03-2014 08:12 PM
Why I don't buy Pentax lenses keyser Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 44 12-20-2012 01:58 AM
I feel so old: 8 things the facebook gen won't buy Nesster General Talk 27 04-22-2012 11:01 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:02 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top