Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2017, 08:51 PM - 1 Like   #36316
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
You're gonna need a slide rule for that.

cheesy

ROFLMAO

Now my side hurts.

05-18-2017, 09:00 PM - 1 Like   #36317
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

A few years ago I bought a huge lot of Adventure pulp magazines, dating from the early 1900's to the 1940's, and paid $150 for the lot at a local estate auction.
I've sold most all of them on eBay for a total of over $4K.
A payroll receipt fell out of one the last ones I'm getting ready to list.
The person worked for Huttig Sash and Door, made $16.50 for the week with $4.74 in overtime, take home pay was $11.42, dated Feb. 24, 1941.
I started working in land surveying right out of high school in 1965 for $2.25 an hour, raised to $2.50 after 3 months.
If I had found this receipt back then, I would have felt like a rich man.
I'm not rich, money wise, by any means now, but feel that way, and that's all that counts, eh?
You did very well with the periodicals, good return on the $150.

Wealth cannot be measured by money alone.

Good health, family and friends have a value no amount of money or things can compare.
05-19-2017, 05:14 AM   #36318
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Several years ago I was digging around in the University of Adelaide library and in one of the ancient journals (1950s) found a photocopying receipt (from the 1960s) for a paper (which I had read not long before and thought was total drivel) which in dollar value was several times the current cost of photocopying when I found it. Maybe 20 cents per page. Would have been a fortune at the time.

The paper was some really weird science fiction piece about Martians in the Pentagon published in one of the IRE Transactions journals (now IEEE).
05-19-2017, 05:35 AM - 2 Likes   #36319
Site Supporter
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Site Supporter

I'm not rich, money wise, by any means now, but feel that way, and that's all that counts, eh?
Other than the love of family and friends, good health, and the basic necessities of life...it is all that counts. Being content in your life is priceless...for real.

Regards!

05-19-2017, 06:19 AM - 1 Like   #36320
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
The last of my living maternal uncles passed away a couple weeks ago. He was 88. Mom tells me he would have lived longer but he drank 'heavily' all his life and it was his liver that gave up on him.

Mom's brothers were all tall and lanky, with a chiseled countenance, weathered skin looking like the Marlboro Man. They wore cowboy boots, and sometimes a hat, western shirts with the snaps that have the pearlescent shell inlay, and a tooled leather belt with a huge buckle, and denim jeans, cut just right for the boots.

I saw him a year and a half ago at his sister's funeral in Seguin, Texas. First time I had seen him in 20 years or more. He looked pretty good, got around OK and was chatty and alert. He had traveled down from Missouri, and it didn't appear that the travel bothered him much. At the time I figured he had another 10 years in him.

His ashes will be interred in July next to his parents in Arnold, Nebraska in July.
if you're going into the ground Arnold has better vibe for a cowboy than just about anywhere
it's curve of the earth country and there isn't a lot of nattering from the neighbors
05-19-2017, 06:59 AM - 1 Like   #36321
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ccc_ Quote
His ashes will be interred in July next to his parents in Arnold, Nebraska in July.
Anyone have opinions about cremation? I think I'd prefer that over conventional burial? My family is not in favor, but in this very changed world it makes sense to me. I see so many cemeteries unkept and deserted, and in a short time, relatively speaking, no one remembers the dead anyhow. Saves money, less hassle, and less prolonged grief. What do you think?

Regards!
05-19-2017, 07:05 AM - 1 Like   #36322
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Anyone have opinions about cremation? I think I'd prefer that over conventional burial? My family is not in favor, but in this very changed world it makes sense to me. I see so many cemeteries unkept and deserted, and in a short time, relatively speaking, no one remembers the dead anyhow. Saves money, less hassle, and less prolonged grief. What do you think?

Regards!
I'm totally opposed to occupying real estate once I'm gone.
05-19-2017, 07:10 AM   #36323
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When I go, I'd like to have the least possible impact on the land, environment and finances of whatever estate I leave to my surviving family. I'd prefer to be cremated via "direct disposal" - no funeral, no church service, as I'm not religious and it would be somewhat hypocritical

If it would make my family and friends feel better to have a few drinks somewhere at my estate's expense, that's fine, but nothing more's required

05-19-2017, 07:21 AM - 1 Like   #36324
Pentaxian

Regards!
I've given it thought, but man I hate heat with a passion.
Unless of course it's coming from my grill.
Getting frozen has more appeal, but still a storage problem since our freezer is pretty old.

My oldest son has the same opinion, he says after 1 or maybe 2 generations gravesites are forgotten.
Since I'm sliding down the back side of my lifespan, guess I should give it more thought.
05-19-2017, 07:28 AM   #36325
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I'm totally opposed to occupying real estate once I'm gone.
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
When I go, I'd like to have the least possible impact on the land, environment and finances of whatever estate I leave to my surviving family.
Pretty much my thoughts. I would not mind a short service, being a religious person myself, but nothing dramatic. I'm in charge of my Mom's final burial instructions, and will follow exactly. Unbelievably expensive, and a lot of work at a time of grief and dealing with other responsibilities that come with the duty at such a time.

Looking ahead in time.....I don't see young people of today visiting gravesites of the fallen in later years...so what is the point of taking up space?

Ashes to ashes.....

Regards!
05-19-2017, 07:32 AM   #36326
Pentaxian

When I go, I'd like to have the least possible impact on the land, environment and finances of whatever estate I leave to my surviving family. I'd prefer to be cremated via "direct disposal" - no funeral, no church service, as I'm not religious and it would be somewhat hypocritical

If it would make my family and friends feel better to have a few drinks somewhere at my estate's expense, that's fine, but nothing more's required
I'm with you, Unless someone wants the ashes just burn me and dispose of ashes. no need for graves etc, nor expensive services.
05-19-2017, 07:35 AM - 1 Like   #36327
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've given it thought, but man I hate heat with a passion.
My guess is you won't feel a thing?

Since I'm sliding down the back side of my lifespan, guess I should give it more thought.
Yep, it won't matter to us when we re gone, but it can impact others both financially and emotionally.....it does deserve some serious thought.
Mrs Rupert wants us buried side by side...but I remind her we will be eternally side by side.....maybe she sees some uncertainty in that?

Regards!
05-19-2017, 07:52 AM   #36328
Pentaxian

The recent passing of my brother-in-law is an example of prolonging the initial grief, for my sister, even though he was cremated.
They live in Oklahoma, but he wanted his ashes interred at a military cemetery in SE Missouri near his hometown.
This couldn't be coordinated for a month.
Then it was a couple more weeks before the planned celebration of his life party took place, on what would have been his 80th birthday.
His request for the party was no crying please, plenty of laughter, remembering the good times, and lots of love passed around.
This all happened, my sister finally has closure, the grief and loss will never go away.
05-19-2017, 07:58 AM - 1 Like   #36329
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Beautifully put, Bob
05-19-2017, 08:16 AM   #36330
Pentaxian

Beautifully put, Bob
Thanks Mike, it's a slippery slope to be sure, and damn hard to get back up if you fall.