Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108807 Likes Search this Thread
05-19-2017, 08:36 AM   #36331
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I used to care...now I don't
once i'm gone somebody else can decide

I was working a job in a large house and rather then make several trips, I bagged and boxed tools and equipment for one trip
as I went through the front door I tripped on something...a vase I thought initially

it turned out that dad was holding the door open against the wind

I was mortified, then charmed

I was the only one upset
according to lady of the house her dad had always been in the way

---------- Post added 05-19-17 at 08:40 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
My guess is you won't feel a thing?

Yep, it won't matter to us when we re gone, but it can impact others both financially and emotionally.....it does deserve some serious thought.
Mrs Rupert wants us buried side by side...but I remind her we will be eternally side by side.....maybe she sees some uncertainty in that?

Regards!
my mom tried to duck that intimacy in the afterlife by declining any sort of burial

one of my sisters corralled the urn and buried it next to my dad
i'm reasonably sure the earth about their graves is roiled and tortured by anger and discontent as we read this

05-19-2017, 09:03 AM - 1 Like   #36332
Veteran Member

Less depressing topic, last night's bratchos.

05-19-2017, 11:33 AM   #36333
Veteran Member

There hasn't been any of this for a good few pages...

Or maybe some singing for a change?
05-19-2017, 12:32 PM   #36334
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
On the matter of funerals.

I believe the funeral makes no difference for the deceased. The purpose of the funeral is to help the bereaved in their grief. therefore let the bereaved organise what they want.

Cremation is fine.

05-19-2017, 12:56 PM   #36335
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
I believe the funeral makes no difference for the deceased. The purpose of the funeral is to help the bereaved in their grief. therefore let the bereaved organise what they want.
Well said.

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
There hasn't been any of this for a good few pages...
You've said too much.
05-19-2017, 01:58 PM   #36336
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
What to do with me when I'm gone? When I have used up the vessel that has been Racer, what would I require of those who will care enough about me to do with that vessel?

I dunno.

Although I have considered death many times in my life, and the disposition of remains, I cannot say that once, have I ever given my final requirements a single serious thought. And I know that it something that every adult should do, first as a young man or woman, and then periodically revisit the subject as life goes on.

Something about personal responsibility.

I still do not have a will, so I'm not a very responsible guy.

Anyway, when I think about cremation, I wonder if there is still enough consciousness left that I may experience it? Makes me shudder to think about it, so then I think happy thoughts, like ripping down the Mulsanne at 230 in a Porsche 962.

Or I think about the more traditional method, embalming and burial. I know what they do at a mortuary, I've been in them and seen the people who can't move anymore. And I've seen relatives at funerals, like my Aunt a while back. I'm not so sure embalming is the way either.

Again, my thoughts drift to trying to beat Hans Stuck's 8 minute lap record in the BMW GTR at the Nurburgring. I have gotten within .8 seconds in the exact same car. Computer sim of course.

Then I think about a nice cedar box, some muslin fabric, and maybe some lime. Probably the most straightforward way to return the nutrients back to the Earth that I carried around for a bit.

Meanwhile, this weekend is the All Star race at Charlotte. Gotta go get the grass cut so I can watch qualifying later.
05-19-2017, 03:29 PM - 1 Like   #36337
Veteran Member

This is the signature of a fellow member on my bbq forum:
"When I die, I'll donate my body to science too see how big my smoke ring is "

05-19-2017, 07:12 PM   #36338
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
My guess is you won't feel a thing?

Yep, it won't matter to us when we re gone, but it can impact others both financially and emotionally.....it does deserve some serious thought.
Mrs Rupert wants us buried side by side...but I remind her we will be eternally side by side.....maybe she sees some uncertainty in that?

Regards!
I don't like the thought of a cremation as they have to stick your bones through a big coffee grinder to get it all fine enough to look like ash. We have an option here where you can be buried in an untreated cheap pine casket and not very deep so that you become fertilizer for a tree. I'd like that. This is for the bits that they can't use for others - I'm an organ donor.

I have only one condition and that is that I want a Packard hearse. (There is one in Wellington - so not too a hard request!)
05-19-2017, 07:44 PM - 1 Like   #36339
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I want a Packard hearse.
I have mine picked out too.

05-19-2017, 08:10 PM - 1 Like   #36340
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I thought you're going in a giant Weber Bob!
Here's the Packard.
Attached Images

05-19-2017, 08:55 PM - 1 Like   #36341
Pentaxian

Cremation for me. Ideally it would be done by rolling me wheelchair up to the edge of Haleamaumau crater and tossing me down to meet Madam Pele in her fiery realm! Far more likely to be the traditional way, though...

I just want a memorial service to console those who are religious, and a big party afterwards. With lots of music, food, fun, and drinking toasts (not to me, but to the fun stories I was involved with ). I want to be sent off with a happy event, not a loss.
05-20-2017, 12:39 AM - 1 Like   #36342
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I turned 70 earlier this month: bought myself a present.
05-20-2017, 12:47 AM   #36343
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Happy ( belated !! ) birthday mate.
05-20-2017, 01:40 AM - 1 Like   #36344
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Happy 70th, Rod! That's a very nice ride... Are you enjoying it?

Compared to Mark's Packard, though, I'm not sure you'd get a coffin in it. An urn, perhaps...
05-20-2017, 02:17 AM - 3 Likes   #36345
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks Pete and Mike.
Yes it is a good ride.
I had an earlier Aurion (2007 Prodigy) and got it up to 150000 kms without any trouble at all.
My daughter-in-law now drives it (replacing her 21 year old Ford Falcon, with would you believe it, 148,000 kms!!)

Toyota will cease manufacturing in Oz later this year and for some unknown reason they are just about giving Aurions away; for base model like mine, normally $40,000 on the road (registered and all other costs paid) for the past few months they have been $29,990. Demo models and Toyota exec vehicles have been $2,000 less. Mine was an exec driven car and I got it even cheaper AND it had the navigation pack as a bonus!.
I am laughing!