Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108820 Likes Search this Thread
06-02-2017, 04:41 AM - 2 Likes   #36886
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Yes, the term chain was a carryover, ours had no links.
I've been retired for 14 years, but have no doubt I can still "do up" and "throw" a chain faster than these two young men, by myself, and blindfolded.
No brag, just fact.
edit to add, we didn't use "chains" for the last about 20+ years before I retired.
Back when... I was between jobs and my land surveyor brother-in-law was between helpers. So I was hired eh-hem for my college trained brain until his new helper was hired... "stand here, hold this straight", "squat here and hold this mark on this steel tape directly over the center of this big ass nail I stuck in the ground, while I try to pull you over from the other end", "we are brushing the lines on this section today - I'll go ahead and tie a bit of brite tape to a tree branch where you can see it from the last bit of tape - you use the axe and loppers to remove the brush between the two or blaze a bit of bark off the trees (interpreted as 'I'll go around the swampy areas to tie flagging, and you go straight through the swamp)"

A couple years ago, his also licensed partner decided to change careers. Instead of hiring another set of hands, he spent the better part of a year's wages for a helper to acquire gps driven surveying equipment. I'm not sure when he last pushed a pencil for survey drawings, or if he even uses a 'chain' anymore.

06-02-2017, 05:53 AM - 1 Like   #36887
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
hold this mark on this steel tape directly over the center of this big ass nail I stuck in the ground, while I try to pull you over from the other end"
At least it sounds like the ground was flat enough that you could hold down on a point, plumbing over a point is challenging for the inexperienced.
I think I've told this here before, but here I go again;
Crew chief to new guy: Were you plumbed directly over the marker?
New guy: I was close, maybe within a couple hundredths.
Crew chief: If those couple hundredths were off the end of your tallywhacker it would be a lot wouldn't it?

edit to say, glad tallywhacker didn't get bleeped out by the censor bot.
06-02-2017, 05:57 AM   #36888
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Rough night....I know one lung is not going to be a problem....I coughed and coughed and coughed it up. My ribs hurt so bad I can hardly move this morning. But......it will get better...or it won't.

Here is the only shot I took yesterday, late in the day. This is the Mama Raccoon, and that is how they hold out their hand for a treat that gets Mrs Rupert all upset.

Gonna try to sleep some today...since I didn't last night. You guys continue on with the important work done here! Not sure Adam would admit it, but he knows this thread is what holds PForums together!

Regards!
06-02-2017, 06:03 AM   #36889
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
But......it will get better...or it won't.
Hate to say it Jim, but if things don't improve soon maybe a hospital stay is in order.
Hoping for a recovery, and in damn short order.

06-02-2017, 06:27 AM   #36890
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Hate to say it Jim, but if things don't improve soon maybe a hospital stay is in order.
I agree.
I would think there should have been some improvement by now.
06-02-2017, 08:07 AM   #36891
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Hoping for a recovery, and in damn short order.
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I agree.
I would think there should have been some improvement by now.
Might be, but in today's medical situation, you need to cough up two lungs to get into the hospital. Not sure that would be of any real benefit. I spoke with a lady in the Doc's waiting room that had this same strain of pneumonia and it took her almost three months to totally eradicate it.
Took a short nap, feel a little better now. I did get too hot in the kitchen yesterday cookin' some cornbread and butterbeans. Until I am much better I'm going to leave the cooking to Mrs Rupert or let her bring home dinner. I think that is what brought on the coughing spell. I lowered the thermostat, but I think it was a little too late.

I'm feeling another nappy time coming on.....

Regards!
06-02-2017, 08:39 AM   #36892
Veteran Member

Might be, but in today's medical situation, you need to cough up two lungs to get into the hospital. Not sure that would be of any real benefit. I spoke with a lady in the Doc's waiting room that had this same strain of pneumonia and it took her almost three months to totally eradicate it.
Took a short nap, feel a little better now. I did get too hot in the kitchen yesterday cookin' some cornbread and butterbeans. Until I am much better I'm going to leave the cooking to Mrs Rupert or let her bring home dinner. I think that is what brought on the coughing spell. I lowered the thermostat, but I think it was a little too late.

Regards!
my wife, who really is a very good cook, hasn't cooked over a couple hundred meals in the last seventeen years

she cooks for events or if I decline my responsibilities brings something home

you probably have your own solution but I smile and say "thanks for cooking!"

if it is the same crud that is going around here, three months is not out of line

06-02-2017, 12:05 PM - 1 Like   #36893
Veteran Member

awhile back we were discussing classy axes

thanks to the internet and a son who realizes his father is a bit off-kilter
I bring you this digression

I will never be a good or even adequate carpenter
as evidence this is my second favorite hammer/wrecking tool...amazon.com: Dead On AN18 18-Inch Annihilator Utility and Wrecking Bar: Home Improvement?tag=pentaxforums-20&
it is a very good tool as long as you don't impale yourself on the VERY sharp prying end
it can bend 2x4's into shape, tear down walls and even drive a nail with some authority

my aforementioned son sent me a link to this rather grim reminder that should the zombies rise from their graves or a juniper need pruning there is a tool for that too...https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BBJQYEA//ref=cm_sw_su_dp?tag=pentaxforums-20&tag=duiwath-20[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added 06-02-17 at 12:05 PM ----------
Attached Images

06-02-2017, 07:09 PM - 1 Like   #36894
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ccc_ Quote
should the zombies rise from their graves or a juniper need pruning there is a tool for that
Guess I'll have to rely on my field find of a Native American celt for the battle, it would be tough to cut down a juniper with it though.
Not mine, but similar:

06-02-2017, 07:44 PM - 1 Like   #36895
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Guess I'll have to rely on my field find of a Native American celt for the battle, it would be tough to cut down a juniper with it though.
Not mine, but similar:
Looks good enough for caving in the gourd of a Zombie.

Just remember, follow through is important.
06-02-2017, 08:14 PM - 1 Like   #36896
Veteran Member

Scottish axe?

06-02-2017, 08:43 PM - 1 Like   #36897
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Scottish axe?
Great tool for making 2 Zombies where one once stood.
06-02-2017, 08:45 PM - 1 Like   #36898
Veteran Member

Not mine, but similar:
when we were kids my brother and I made them from river rock then hafted them to oak saplings

ruined a couple a dad's hammers but they were pretty neat

we could smash small trees to bits with them but no trimming was going to happen

---------- Post added 06-02-17 at 09:15 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Scottish axe?
Lochaber axe...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lochaber_axe...very similar to the brush axe I mentioned eons ago

about half way down the page is another axe that I've actually seen...http://www.tartansauthority.com/highland-dress/highland-weapons/ much like a large francisca (throwing axe)

axe heads ended up on poles as time went by
there are poleaxes and poll axes, halberds, etc.

hache French axe
Hachette French small axe, in case you wondered where hatchet came from

if you want to chase it down...for a long time axes only used steel at the edge and iron for the head
whereas swords tended to be steel
the axe was cheaper and easier to make

when an axe broke you usually just needed another stick
when a sword broke you reshaped it into a knife/dirk or found a skilled smith who could weld and re-temper it

the sad truth is anything can be a weapon even my favorite a #2 Ticonderoga pencil

Last edited by ccc_; 06-02-2017 at 09:18 PM.
06-02-2017, 09:50 PM   #36899
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ccc_ Quote
the sad truth is anything can be a weapon even my favorite a #2 Ticonderoga pencil
06-02-2017, 10:03 PM   #36900
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

Regards!
Sorry Rupert, to an Australian "nappy time" suggests your problem is not the lungs but one or both of the two usual types of incontinence (other than what Augustine of Hippo called "incontinence").

Last edited by tim60; 06-02-2017 at 10:09 PM.