Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108795 Likes Search this Thread
06-08-2017, 05:32 PM   #37111
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Really simple. It was built by a farmer in one of his fields. He probably does not want a bunch of hippies running all over his land trampling it all down. Plus it is right next door to the middle of nowhere without sifficient facilities or services to handle a large crowd.
It's only a few miles north of Alliance, on one of the larger N/S state highways . It gets thousands of visitors already. The place has grown into a sculpture and artwork park, owned by a local group dedicated to running the place. It would be a tremendous event for the town, but I suspect the town just doesn't want to deal with the influx of people and so they (as part of the ownership group) are keeping it 'turned off' for the day. Folks in that end of Nebraska can be a little touchy and grumpy when it comes to a bunch of damn city folks coming out and causing all kinds of commotion. Never mind how much it helps their economy!

And yes, been thru there a *bunch* of times, worked with people out there, spent a fair amount of cash out there, and encountered a fair number of <censored> out there along with the nice people...

Jim
About | Carhenge ®

06-08-2017, 06:26 PM - 1 Like   #37112
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
Folks in that end of Nebraska can be a little touchy and grumpy when it comes to a bunch of damn city folks coming out and causing all kinds of commotion. Never mind how much it helps their economy!
As a fly over country Midwesterner, I can dig it.
Who needs all the hassle for a few extra bucks?
06-08-2017, 06:56 PM - 2 Likes   #37113
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Ooh, I love Eggs Benedict. A bit of spinach goes with it nicely, too.
one of our holiday experiments was egg, swiss cheese, smoked salmon, spinach on a rye bagel drenched in hollandaise
06-08-2017, 08:54 PM - 1 Like   #37114
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
It's only a few miles north of Alliance, on one of the larger N/S state highways . It gets thousands of visitors already. The place has grown into a sculpture and artwork park, owned by a local group dedicated to running the place. It would be a tremendous event for the town, but I suspect the town just doesn't want to deal with the influx of people and so they (as part of the ownership group) are keeping it 'turned off' for the day. Folks in that end of Nebraska can be a little touchy and grumpy when it comes to a bunch of damn city folks coming out and causing all kinds of commotion. Never mind how much it helps their economy!

And yes, been thru there a *bunch* of times, worked with people out there, spent a fair amount of cash out there, and encountered a fair number of <censored> out there along with the nice people...

Jim
About | Carhenge ®
Citiots.

I live in the country too. Along the South Fork of the Stillaguamish. Every summer the citiots come out in force, with a WalMart rubber raft, towing a cooler full of beer floating in a car innertube. My place is about halfway from where they put in at to their first opportunity for public river access.

Of course the citiots have no clue how long it takes to float down 10 miles of river when it is dried up in July or August, and they have started their drunken float far too late to get there before dark. As they float by, drunk and puking, the question is always the same:

"How far to the swinging bridge?"

Or for the real bright ones:

"How far to River Meadows (the county park that adds another 3 or 4 miles to the trip)?"

I tell them the same thing every time.

"It's just around the next bend."

What? Do I look like a taxi service for citiots that can't allow enough time to have a fun day on the river and consume way too much alcohol? Screw them. They can buy acreage on the river like me if they want to get out anywhere besides a public access point. This is private property, not a public park.

And don't even think about getting out of that crappy rubber raft and coming up on my riverbank to urinate. Should have thought about the size of your bladder as you were swilling down that cheap beer.

So I can relate to the folks in the Sand Hills.

06-08-2017, 09:18 PM   #37115
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Rupert, good to hear your repairs are progressing well.
06-09-2017, 01:49 AM - 2 Likes   #37116
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Citiots.
Like| the bumper sticker days, "it's tourist season isn't it? So why can't I shoot them?"

Of course you can. Just make sure it is with a Pentax.
06-09-2017, 06:02 AM - 1 Like   #37117
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Citiots.

Of course the citiots have no clue how long it takes to float down 10 miles of river when it is dried up in July or August, and they have started their drunken float far too late to get there before dark. As they float by, drunk and puking, the question is always the same:

"How far to the swinging bridge?"

Or for the real bright ones:

"How far to River Meadows (the county park that adds another 3 or 4 miles to the trip)?"

I tell them the same thing every time.

"It's just around the next bend."
In Vermont that question would be met with the classic reply "You can't get there from here."

A few years ago some city folk started climbing Mt Rainer. They got really tired so they got on their cell phone and called 911 looking to be rescued. They were asked how many people were injured. They replied, that no on was injured they were just tired. They were told that tired people are not rescued and that they will have to make it back down on their own.

I liked the review for Yellowstone NP where the people were upset that the rangers didn't have more wildlife out for viewing. They came to the park to see grizzly bears and wolves and did not see a single one. The rangers should plan their displays around peak tourist hours.

Last edited by gaweidert; 06-09-2017 at 06:09 AM.
06-09-2017, 06:31 AM - 1 Like   #37118
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Wouldn't that just be boiled then? Or am I missing something?
No, boiling would be 212f + water, this is very low temp long period of time effectively poached (in the shell instead of say one of those poaching trays) no cleanup and in fact I fill the sink with the water used to wash up

The technique is in this wiki. Great way to make perfect every time steaks as well

Sous-vide - Wikipedia
06-09-2017, 06:58 AM - 2 Likes   #37119
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Rupert, good to hear your repairs are progressing well.
Thank you! Feel pretty decent again this morning...gotta hope it will hold and continue. I can breathe, anyone that has ever experienced gasping for breath knows how important it is to be able to breathe freely.

I live in a "tourist town". I can't honestly say it has ever been a personal problem. Almost all activity is located on or around the town square and courthouse. Lots of activity there daily and pretty cramped on the weekends, but it is easy to avoid that area and drive around the crowds.

It all happens here...(Old DS shot from 2006....Yep, that's my Jeep ....looks as good today as it did back then!)

There are a lot of interesting shops on the square and a truly historic Opera House with world class performers and shows.

I have little interest in the square and seldom shop there, but have no trouble understanding why it all appeals to the cityslickers.

Regards!.....I think it's nappy time.....I feel a Rupert Story coming on, so you will be spared!
06-09-2017, 07:43 AM - 1 Like   #37120
Veteran Member

I decided that as long as they go home tourists are a momentary affliction

I was picking up a fishing license at a "famous" hardware store and got bitched out for...
1) being a tourist
2) fishing in his neck of the woods
3) not spending enough money at his store

I noticed he had a pheasants forever patch on his vest
I opined that since there weren't many pheasants in his state, he was probably one of those rude, drunk bastards who shot at anything that moved in our state from November to January
I could see he wanted to react physically and then he could see I didn't care (I was foolishly willing back then)
so he sat back on his heels and gave me my license

as I left, I offered him a deal...you stay home and i'll stay home
he grinned and said...no thanks
06-09-2017, 08:03 AM   #37121
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
(in the shell instead of say one of those poaching trays)
Poaching trays! Who uses those things?

Just crack the egg directly into boiling water (with a splash of vinegar and a sprinkle salt), much nicer that way.
06-09-2017, 08:21 AM   #37122
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Poaching trays! Who uses those things?

Just crack the egg directly into boiling water (with a splash of vinegar and a sprinkle salt), much nicer that way.
Yep, and if you first stir the water fast enough to create a vortex then crack the egg into it the egg will hold together better than if dropped into static water.
06-09-2017, 08:22 AM   #37123
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
A few years ago some city folk started climbing Mt Rainer. They got really tired so they got on their cell phone and called 911 looking to be rescued. They were asked how many people were injured. They replied, that no on was injured they were just tired. They were told that tired people are not rescued and that they will have to make it back down on their own.
Citiots x2.

They deserve to die on the mountain.

I liked the review for Yellowstone NP where the people were upset that the rangers didn't have more wildlife out for viewing. They came to the park to see grizzly bears and wolves and did not see a single one. The rangers should plan their displays around peak tourist hours.

Citiots x3.

They deserve to be eaten by those Grizzly bears.
06-09-2017, 08:24 AM   #37124
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Yep, and if you first stir the water fast enough to create a vortex then crack the egg into it the egg will hold together better than if dropped into static water.
Yep, and use a pan big enough for all the eggs you're cooking... (i.e. not that little 1.5 litre (quart) pan for 5 eggs...) .
06-09-2017, 08:25 AM - 1 Like   #37125
Veteran Member

I think Darwin should be allowed to award some more awards to citiots...
« AF1 vs AF2 | - »