Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2017, 08:41 AM   #37126
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Poaching trays! Who uses those things?

Just crack the egg directly into the boiling water (with a splash of vinegar and a sprinkle salt), much nicer that way.
i can and do make them that way as well (and have done it in a restaurant kitchen a dozen or more at a time) the sous vide eggs are more consistent and controllable for doneness level. in fact, all sous vide cooking is about doneness control.

06-09-2017, 09:31 AM - 1 Like   #37127
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
I gotta get me one of these for the upstairs lavatory I am just finishing adding.

06-09-2017, 09:42 AM - 1 Like   #37128
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Attention Rupert:
My Aldis had a big stack of the clam cakes in the freezer chest, might want to check yours soon.
I read the cooking directions and they show how to grill them, basting with butter, so Bam! they went in the cart.
Bonus: Mrs Bob will not want any.
06-09-2017, 09:56 AM   #37129
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Poaching trays! Who uses those things?
I have a microwave poacher.....fast and easy, does a decent job and once you learn the right settings they turn out to your liking. I'm more about the eating than the preparation......if they taste good I don't care how they are cooked.

Nice little nappy...but I woke up still wanting to tell a Rupert Story,.....can't recall what I had in mind? Maybe it was about how we used to make rotten eggs in the heat of summer to have neighborhood rotten egg fights? Damn nasty business, I guarantee. They all ended when Ricky's Mom opened the back door to sweep out the kitchen and Jerry thought it was Ricky and fired before getting a good look.......got her right up side the head. I got my butt beat over it just for being "around" when it happened.

Here is one I just eliminated. Read the data sheet and decided a little pain in my arthritic feet and shoulder beat the hell out of the side effects. They didn't mention that it is kinda hard to report a problem to the hotline if you are having a heart attack, stroke, or a massive hole just opened up in your stomach!

Name:  meloxicam.jpg
Views: 526
Size:  220.6 KB

I don't think people read these data sheets .....do you read them?

Regards!

06-09-2017, 10:00 AM   #37130
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

They tried Meloxicam on me last year before the foot surgery.

Made me ill.

I quit taking it and called the doctor to tell them it made me ill.

They told me to quit taking it.

Um, OK..

So then, what about the pain it was prescribed to relieve?

What about it?

I really dislike doctors.
06-09-2017, 10:02 AM - 1 Like   #37131
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Plus, it would preclude my maintaining the correct ratios of blood and alcohol in my alcohol system.
06-09-2017, 10:02 AM   #37132
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Yes, and I worry more about the possible side effects than the illness.

06-09-2017, 10:11 AM   #37133
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Attention Rupert:
My Aldis had a big stack of the clam cakes in the freezer chest, might want to check yours soon.
I read the cooking directions and they show how to grill them, basting with butter, so Bam! they went in the cart.
Bonus: Mrs Bob will not want any.
Thanks for the heads up! I'll check it out at my Aldis. I cooked the last ones in the oven last week. You can microwave too, but they are not good that way...they get too hard around the edges. Grilling should be perfect! ...Same here...Mrs Rupert won't touch them...I think it is that shell that freaks her? More good stuff should come in shells...right?

Regards!
06-09-2017, 10:12 AM   #37134
Veteran Member

I have a microwave poacher.....fast and easy, does a decent job and once you learn the right settings they turn out to your liking. I'm more about the eating than the preparation......if they taste good I don't care how they are cooked.

Nice little nappy...but I woke up still wanting to tell a Rupert Story,.....can't recall what I had in mind? Maybe it was about how we used to make rotten eggs in the heat of summer to have neighborhood rotten egg fights? Damn nasty business, I guarantee. They all ended when Ricky's Mom opened the back door to sweep out the kitchen and Jerry thought it was Ricky and fired before getting a good look.......got her right up side the head. I got my butt beat over it just for being "around" when it happened.

Here is one I just eliminated. Read the data sheet and decided a little pain in my arthritic feet and shoulder beat the hell out of the side effects. They didn't mention that it is kinda hard to report a problem to the hotline if you are having a heart attack, stroke, or a massive hole just opened up in your stomach!

Attachment 358714

Regards!
I take it everyday

chronic pain versus death...I vote death

just don't take aspirin at the same time

if it affects you adversely, stop taking it

back in the day when your two choices were vioxx or celbrex the guys I worked found one or the other beneficial

BTW...meloxicam is safe for dogs
06-09-2017, 10:13 AM   #37135
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
So then, what about the pain it was prescribed to relieve?

What about it?
So you don't have a Liquor Store nearby Racer?
06-09-2017, 10:18 AM - 1 Like   #37136
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Citiots x2.

They deserve to die on the mountain.

Citiots x3.

They deserve to be eaten by those Grizzly bears.
Another name for them is tourons.
06-09-2017, 10:29 AM   #37137
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

I took Oxycontin for almost 20 years to relieve chronic neck and back pain from 2 ruptured lumbar vertebrae, a compression fracture of 2 thoracic vertabrae, and 3 ruptured cervical disks.

It worked great. Since I had genuine pain the drug never caused any of the side effects like somnolence or the inability to perform daily functions or operate vehicles and machinery.

And for most of those years it never caused constipation.

But the last year or so of using it that did become a problem. At first I was able to manage it with better diet. But eventually even diet was no help.

So the doctor wrote me a scrip and said, "Try this, it should help."

I asked what it was, and scolded him for not making this clear first.

He said it was a drug to relieve the constipation.

I handed the scrip back to him, and asked for a referral to a physiatrist. There is no way I'm taking one drug to combat the side effects of another.

I took the last Oxycontin just before Christmas 2015.

Yes, the daily pain levels can be debilitating. But I do my best to immerse myself into doing things and that helps push the discomfort to manageable levels.

Self hypnosis works pretty well too.
06-09-2017, 10:49 AM   #37138
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

So you don't have a Liquor Store nearby Racer?
The state released its stranglehold on liquor sales a few years ago. All the (state run) liquor stores closed, and now you have to go to the grocery store or Costco. There is a BEVMO about 40 miles away, and I tried them out. They suck. Customer service is a concept that isn't part of their business model. I won't go back.

But.

My liquor cabinet is well stocked.
06-09-2017, 10:55 AM   #37139
Veteran Member

Yep, they can be deadly. Mrs Rupert was in the medical field for 20 years and related many cases where the first dose of a dangerous drug...was also the last.

QuoteOriginally posted by ccc_ Quote
chronic pain versus death...I vote death
I can relate to that, and concur. In my case this was the wrong drug for the intended purpose, and not worth taking the risk. I just wanted to sleep better with less pain...but not sleep forever, just yet!

QuoteOriginally posted by ccc_ Quote
BTW...meloxicam is safe for dogs
If I get fleas or start barking I'll keep it in mind!

This is a more serious subject than we are treating it, but what can you expect in a thread dedicated to even more important aspects of life?

A few years ago I went to Walgreens to get two prescriptions filled...it was just a coincidence that they both ran out at the same time and one had been at Walgreens and the other at Walmart. I wanted to get them both at Walgreens and avoid two stops in the future. I knew the pharmacist, a cute little Indian girl with a good personality, very helpful and serious about her job. She called me over to the consultation window and asked how long I had been taking both of these? I told her about 2-3 months...one was newer from a different doctor and had been filled at Walmart. She pulled up a pharmacist "Red Alert" data sheet and had me read it. She said..."You should be dead!" In combination they rapidly deplete potassium from your body with collapse of the cardio system soon following. As we talked she determined that my diet, which included 2-3 bananas and at least one avocado a day (both high in potassium) had probably saved my life.
I got it all straight with my primary doctor, who should have been on top of this but wasn't. Few are on top of such things today due to many factors.....which is why it is even more important to read these data sheets when you get meds. I now get all my meds at one location....Walmart (because Mrs Rupert picks them up and likes to buy stuff while she is there) Walmart does a good job of checking for conflicting drugs and also for providing thorough data sheets on every drug you get.

Finally....another factor that keeps me alert. Old man Alvarez. He was one of my most contrary customers and a real pain most of the time.....but I still liked him. He was a short little heavyset guy and his wife, though in her early 70s, was a genuine natural beauty....stunningly so, in fact. She had the personality of an angel and Alvarez treated her accordingly. They had been married over 50 years and were as in love as they must have been from the very start.

He brought her a prescription that her doctor had called in....in haste, apparently. It contained an ingredient she was extremely and deathly allergic to. It was on her record but the doctor failed to a take notice. The first pill and she was dead within 5 minutes. As he told me this story he cried like a baby, devastated, heartbroken. It could have been prevented at several points...but wasn't.

Read the data sheets, it might save someone you love....and it might save you. This is 2017, you have to watch your own back.

Regards!

---------- Post added 06-09-17 at 01:04 PM ----------

The state released its stranglehold on liquor sales a few years ago. All the (state run) liquor stores closed, and now you have to go to the grocery store or Costco. There is a BEVMO about 40 miles away, and I tried them out. They suck. Customer service is a concept that isn't part of their business model. I won't go back.
That's crazy! In Texas you can count on a gas station on three corners and a liquor store on the 4th. Some are almost as big a Walmart! Service.....they greet you at the door and make you feel like a king! Last time I was in our largest here, I parked in the handicapped zone up front with my plaque hanging from the rear view mirror. Only bought a 6 pack of Pale Ale...and they had a clerk carry it out to the Jeep for me! That is Texas service at a liquor store!

Regards!
06-09-2017, 11:14 AM   #37140
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

That's crazy! In Texas you can count on a gas station on three corners and a liquor store on the 4th. Some are almost as big a Walmart! Service.....they greet you at the door and make you feel like a king! Last time I was in our largest here, I parked in the handicapped zone up front with my plaque hanging from the rear view mirror. Only bought a 6 pack of Pale Ale...and they had a clerk carry it out to the Jeep for me! That is Texas service at a liquor store!

Regards!
I've been to Texas many times, so I know about the relaxed attitudes towards drinking. There used to be a time when you could pull into a full serve gas station that had a convenience store, and the guy pumping your gas would offer to get items form the store for you, including a freshly drawn styrofoam cup of beer or a mixed drink.