Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-10-2017, 06:53 AM   #37156
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Some people do have a problem with their choice of branding.

In Adelaide I once found a shingle "Duddy Shopov Lawyers". Does not inspire confidence.

06-10-2017, 07:54 AM   #37157
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
And we certainly won't be discussing politics, eh?
All I said was "honest politician".......which is pure fantasy, so can't be considered for discussion in a thread of this serious magnitude...right!

QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
Guess I'm an honest pol then.
Don't question your honesty or integrity one iota......but that comment I made about "one honest politician" was just a joke...no one would actually believe such a thing!

Regards!

Back and forth....I think my body is fighting the pneumonia, and I hope it is winning. I woke up the last two nights soaking wet, apparently from a breaking fever. Dry out and get on dry T-shirt and all is fine the rest of the night. No problem in the daytime. Any doctorly opinions on this?

Otherwise, I feel half decent. The main improvement is that I can breathe freely, have more energy as a result, and am eating well with a slight increase in bacon craving.
My son's Pig Dog (we are babysitting while he is on vacation) likes to stay close while I consume bacon...in case I drop any...and sloppy as I am, I do tend to drop a few slices once in a while.

Regards!
06-10-2017, 08:12 AM   #37158
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
but that comment I made about "one honest politician" was just a joke...no one would actually believe such a thing!
A person could take that two ways; but I'm sure you meant it only one way.
06-10-2017, 08:13 AM - 1 Like   #37159
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I woke up the last two nights soaking wet, apparently from a breaking fever. Dry out and get on dry T-shirt and all is fine the rest of the night. No problem in the daytime. Any doctorly opinions on this?
Menopause?

06-10-2017, 08:19 AM   #37160
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Bbq joint in Farmington, MO, and they have a food truck too.
To me it just doesn't have the same appeal of say, Big Bob's BBQ.
There is a place in Centralia, WA, that smokes and barbecues, as well as having a brewery.

Dick's Brewing Company | NW Sausage & Deli

Very good small volume production beer, and lots of smoked and cured meats.

The slogan on their sign, and on matchbook covers is, "You can't beat Dick's meat".

(I hope this doesn't get me in trouble here!)

The owner and namesake, Dick, passed away a few years ago. But his family has kept up the tradition, and continues to produce some of the finest smoked and cured meats, and very good beer.

What more does a man need?

06-10-2017, 08:51 AM   #37161
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
A person could take that two ways; but I'm sure you meant it only one way.
Rational and sane people can only take it one way.....you know that!

Menopause?
I never thought of that...maybe I need some estrogen?

I'm at that point where I feel good enough to get out and about a little, but have been warned not to go for it. I think you know how it is to be housebound...and it is no fun. So boring....and hard to accept. I've slipped out a time or three, without problems once, but with regrets a couple of times. Doc did say if I keep improving I am still at least a month away from where I need to be.

That's my report....so what about your knee? What is happening there, and what is your current situation? I think we would all be interested.

Regards!
06-10-2017, 09:41 AM   #37162
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I am now able to walk, well, limp, unassisted. The discomfort level ranges from mostly annoying to occasionally painfull.

06-10-2017, 10:03 AM   #37163
Veteran Member

I am now able to walk, well, limp, unassisted. The discomfort level ranges from mostly annoying to occasionally painfull.
That beats being immobilized for sure. Annoying is better than painful......but after a while even annoying carries a certain amount of mental anguish bordering on painful.

That was a short reply Jim, but fully satisfactory. If you ever hope to do your own "Rupert Stories" you have a long way to go!
I could have turned your reply into a full page...easily!

Regards!
06-10-2017, 10:33 AM   #37164
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Manopause?

There, fixed.
06-10-2017, 10:43 AM   #37165
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

I can relate.

Over 5 years since the total hip replacement, and I still have pain where the stem is inserted in the femur. The doctors can't explain the pain. I've had all manner of testing and diagnostic imaging, and it all shows everything is OK. What bothers me more than the pain is that they can't explain it. They all agree I shouldn't have any, but can't give an answer as to why I do.

And then there is the reworked left foot.

Two stainless steel screws and a Nitinol (pretty cool stuff) clip fusing a metatarsal joint. Repaired and realigned bunion at first toe. Repaired plantar plate at 2nd toe. Relieved Achilles tendon. Over 6 months and it still hurts to walk, although not all the time. And the screws and clip hurt periodically, much like the stem in the hip, only more intensely.

The doctor still has not released me back to work yet.

But my foot actually fits in a (normal) shoe again.

Next up, right foot. Maybe in time for Christmas again, like last year.

Oh boy.

Can't wait.
06-10-2017, 11:16 AM - 1 Like   #37166
Veteran Member

Two stainless steel screws and a Nitinol (pretty cool stuff) clip fusing a metatarsal joint. Repaired and realigned bunion at first toe
My oldest son, 42, will need something along those lines done to both feet in the future.
He said he started watching an animated video of the procedure and had to stop, it was too gruesome.
He's kind of squeamish about any type of medical procedure.
06-10-2017, 11:48 AM - 1 Like   #37167
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

My oldest son, 42, will need something along those lines done to both feet in the future.
He said he started watching an animated video of the procedure and had to stop, it was too gruesome.
He's kind of squeamish about any type of medical procedure.
I'm a bit squeamish too, and really dislike needles. Yet it is no big deal to lay a knuckle open to the bone while working on a truck, and look deep into the wound.

When preparing for the hip replacement I watched several videos of the procedure. I even found one a guy my age made while having the procedure done. Rather than have a general anesthetic he opted for a spinal block. He set up cameras and shot the whole thing, while watcing on a monitor.

Uff da!

I also viewed videos of carpal tunnel repair (that was 4 years ago), and the bunionectomy and plantar plate repair.

Gruesome? Sure.

But I found if I approach it like a car, truck or machine, and reduce it to the mechanical aspect it is easy to watch.

Still makes me cringe though when I think about it.
06-10-2017, 12:34 PM   #37168
Veteran Member

I'm a bit squeamish too, and really dislike needles.
Every year when flu season rolls around the local tv stations have to show video after video of people getting shots.
Up close of course.
I don't mind getting shots, but don't like seeing needles jabbed into arms.
06-10-2017, 12:45 PM - 1 Like   #37169
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
When I was getting my tooth extracted (February and March - you may recall the saga) I lay back in the chair and tried to visualise the work the dentists (and later oral surgeon) were doing as metal machining activities. That was actually quite helpful to me. In he end, not too bad. And this is where the engineering analogy of going in for repairs is also helpful.

Another analogy is to look at a doctor as like a third world farmer: they both do "hack and slash". Maybe a little less helpful whilst they are actually doing the hacking and slashing to you, though.
06-10-2017, 12:46 PM - 1 Like   #37170
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

don't like seeing needles jabbed into arms.
It never bothered me as long as I was the one doing the jabbing.