06-11-2017, 06:08 PM - 2 Likes   #37216
pjv
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Ow.
It is a lovely color though Racer. I think it is called " painple." That must have hurt Rod.

06-11-2017, 06:12 PM - 1 Like   #37217
Pentaxian

We are all electric, turn thermostat up or down.
Wood burning fireplace for ambiance, with someone else doing the sweating to provide the wood.
I like it that way, I whacked enough wood, and pounded enough wood into the ground back in my surveying days.
06-11-2017, 06:13 PM   #37218
Site Supporter
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I used to love cutting wood, splitting wood and burning wood. After somehow breaking two feet....don't recall just how?....I converted my fireplace to gas logs a couple of years ago. Last winter, due to global warming, I never even lit it once.

It was a cold winter day about 45 years ago. I was working out in the country with my Grandad installing a new roof on one of his friends barn. The house was about 60 feet away and as we worked on the barn there came a noise from the house fireplace like a loud "swish"...then a ball of fire shot out of the chimney about 15 feet and landed on the ground nearby like a burning ball of tar. There were 3-4 more of these, and one landed on the house roof. We were able to get enough water to put them all out but the one on the roof burned an hole in the shingles down to the decking.
Yep, it pays to keep your chimney clean!

Regards!
06-11-2017, 06:45 PM - 1 Like   #37219
Pentaxian

My lumberjack son helping cut up a large northern red oak that fell on our property last year.
We're stocked up on firewood for awhile.

06-11-2017, 06:48 PM   #37220
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
You young blokes just can't hack it, can you?
Here I am at 70 still enjoying a wood fire - even enjoying getting the wood and splitting it!!
I might have told you this before, but here goes again...

A friend (who once built his own sawmill - a multi saw two man op that cut timber (lumber for my yank friends) into framing sizes 8 or 9 studs/planks/timbers at a time), well this friend gathers up fallen trees, limbs, etc throughout the year, and early autumn (fall for my yank friends) we have a day cutting, splitting, loading trailers and utes (pickups for my yank friends) and a great BBQ to boot!
The splitter was designed and built by the same friend and runs off the PTO on the tractor.
The only negative for the day is if someone slams a 600mm (two feet for my yank friends) diameter chunk of wood into one's thumb. (I think I showed the pic before, but it is a good reminder to keep one's thumb out of the way, so here it is again;

my father in law and his brother rebuilt a mill but it was used for crosscutting not ripping
it was powered by the belt drive on an old john deere
the outfeed ramped onto a set off rollers that fed a eight long stove with an iris-like door
as I recall an eighteen inch diameter log would fit

his brother heated his house and water with that stove for almost twenty winters

these guys didn't screw around with chainsaws
they bulldozed the trees they were using for firewood or lumber, shoved the trees onto a straight truck and drove them to town
the lumber went to a real mill while the firewood went to the brother's side yard
06-11-2017, 07:07 PM   #37221
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I love a wood fire. Looks nice and provides heat. Watching a fire in winter is about as therapeutic to me as watching a lake in summer.

We have a shed for firewood and a lady who splits firewood for income delivers dry firewood to us . She drops it right outside the shed. We stack it in the shed and come winter we fill a basket which we carry into the house each evening to feed the fire.
06-11-2017, 07:20 PM - 2 Likes   #37222
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I love a wood fire. Looks nice and provides heat. Watching a fire in winter is about as therapeutic to me as watching a lake in summer.

We have a shed for firewood and a lady who splits firewood for income delivers dry firewood to us . She drops it right outside the shed. We stack it in the shed and come winter we fill a basket which we carry into the house each evening to feed the fire.
You have Winter?
06-11-2017, 08:10 PM   #37223
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
It is a lovely color though Racer. I think it is called " painple." That must have hurt Rod.
Yep. I know that color all too well. Lost more than a few nails that way.

I had one that while drilling a hole the drill bit (3/16") broke, and when it did the part still left in the drill motor came around and scooped out the middle of the nail of my left index finger that was holding the part I was drilling. I still have a mark on that nail bed that never healed properly.

06-12-2017, 02:35 AM   #37224
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
You have Winter?
Not like yours, I'm sure! But yes, we have winter.
Typically it gets to about -1degC overnight, with anywhere from 7degC to 17degC in the day, in winter. It's a rare winter that we have much snow. About 8 years ago, we had quite a bit of snow, almost to sea level, which was somewhat unusual.
06-12-2017, 03:04 AM - 2 Likes   #37225
Insanely humble
Loyal Site Supporter

Typically it gets to about -1degC overnight, with anywhere from 7degC to 17degC in the day, in winter. It's a rare winter that we have much snow. About 8 years ago, we had quite a bit of snow, almost to sea level, which was somewhat unusual.
Sounds like a decent summer
06-12-2017, 03:04 AM   #37226
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Aren't there ski resorts in the Southern mountains?
06-12-2017, 03:12 AM - 2 Likes   #37227
Insanely humble
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
No they aren't. I lived in a house for many years that had only wood heat. I used a freestanding airtight fireplace to heat it. It was cozy for sure, but I spent 11 months a year cutting, splitting and stacking firewood in the barn.

Cutting firewood a couple weekends a month like that kept me in excellent physical condition, but it is also how I managed to get two crushed thoracic vertebrae.

Happened in the spring, so I got the summer off from being Racer the Woodsman.

Good times.

Oh, and an airtight stove makes creosote like it had value or something. I would have to run a hot fire once a week during the wood heating season to keep from having to completely shut it down for cleaning. I used a metal chimney so after getting the build up hot enough I would pat the pipe briskly while wearing welder's gloves and the stuff would fall into the firebox. I'd let it die down and when it was down low enough I'd empty it all into a steel bucket and take it out to the garden compost heap.

Lots of nitrogen.

06-12-2017, 03:21 AM - 1 Like   #37228
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
That must have hurt Rod
Actually, it wasn't as bad as I thought it should be. It was one of those sudden things that is over in a second.
It throbbed a bit while I went on working. (tough eh? - nah, just too proud to stop.)
It was, IIRC correctly, 10 or 12 weeks before the nail came off and months before the thumb was back to normal.
06-12-2017, 04:04 AM - 1 Like   #37229
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
...(I think I showed the pic before, but it is a good reminder to keep one's thumb out of the way, so here it is again;..

a hot needle or small drill bit
a gentle squeeze
a gout of blood
ahh, blessed relief
06-12-2017, 04:18 AM - 1 Like   #37230
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ccc_ Quote
small drill bit
preferably a clean one!
I had a box of new bits in the shed - a couple of minutes in boiling water and then a couple to COOL and bingo! red stuff and relief.