Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108820 Likes Search this Thread
06-29-2017, 09:24 AM   #37846
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
The Dark Woods of Life.....

I went to bed around 9pm last night, still trying to get plenty of sleep and rest. Mrs Rupert stayed up to work on her Deaf Class lessons and feed the little kitty feller at 10:30. At a little after 10:30 she turned on the bedroom light and woke me......"I think he's dying." She said he ate well but seemed very lethargic, not his usual feisty self and after eating he cried, took a deep breath and went limp. I held him and yes, he was gone. He did make a few little squeaking noises and Mrs Rupert refused to give him up...she held him to her breast and talked to him until I made her come to bed at 1:30am. Crushed....she was so dedicated to seeing that he made it and lived to enjoy his little life. Tears me up too, and I hurt for Mrs Rupert.
We all know the sadness of life.......and the joys. At times like this it is hard to see the sunshine, but it is there and we can't give in to the darkness or we will not honor the goodness of our own spirits.

We did all we could little feller. We would do it again if called on. Your little life was precious, even if it was short.

Regards

Yes, you tried. I wonder if the mother cat could tell something was wrong and abandoned it for that reason?

06-29-2017, 09:27 AM   #37847
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Jim, you and your caring wife are sunshine in a sometimes dark world.
Well said.
06-29-2017, 10:26 AM - 3 Likes   #37848
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I thank every one of you for the kind words. My helper came over and dug a deep grave and we buried the little feller. Mrs Rupert had him comfortably wrapped in a sock he liked to sleep on and in a box she marked "Little Trooper".

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Yes, you tried. I wonder if the mother cat could tell something was wrong and abandoned it for that reason?
You could be very right...she did take the other two and left this one. He died so suddenly and had seemed to be doing so well. I was enthused that he was eating and drinking....and even peeing! Life goes on but we will not forget the little guy and his struggle in a new world he never got to know.
At least...he did not die hungry or thirsty, or by ants or predators, or cold or heat.He died in the hands of Mrs Rupert, that showed him love and caring at the last moment of his little life.

Thanks again for the concern for the little guy...we have good people here! As we move on, it is a good time to stop and appreciate and say thanks for those we love and cherish...including our animals that are such a part of our lives.

Regards!
06-29-2017, 10:58 AM - 1 Like   #37849
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ccc_ Quote
he said doctors practice the art of medicine...I thought medicine was a science
Medicine is both science and art!

Science provides tools - methods and tests and machinery to diagnose a problem, treatments and medicines and surgical techniques to try and fix the problem, and an understanding of the cellular and systemic machinery that keeps the human body in operational status.

The "art" comes into play when the doc is looking at the patient and trying to figure out which methods to use in diagnosis based on the input from the patient, physical examination, past experience, and any of the tests described up top. Past experience not only with the doc's overall practice and all of the patients she's seen, but also the particular experience and history with *that* patient. The symptoms in one person can mean something quite different from the same symptom in another person. Sometimes the doc has to use a lot of tests to isolate what is wrong. Sometimes the doc, especially more experienced ones, will have a hunch or a gut feeling that leads them quickly to the problem. Is a subconscious pattern recognition 'science', or is 'an art'? I say it's an art - not everyone can do it, and often the doc doesn't really know why they get a diagnosis like that. They'll use a test or tool to confirm it, but the hunch itself? Art, IMHO...

Jim (ignoring any and all remarks about doctors and Mercedes and money motives applying to all of 'em as a class...)

06-29-2017, 11:15 AM   #37850
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I thank every one of you for the kind words. My helper came over and dug a deep grave and we buried the little feller. Mrs Rupert had him comfortably wrapped in a sock he liked to sleep on and in a box she marked "Little Trooper".
Thanks again for the concern for the little guy...we have good people here! As we move on, it is a good time to stop and appreciate and say thanks for those we love and cherish...including our animals that are such a part of our lives.
Jim, I'm late to the thread's events as is often the case, but wanted to add my commiserations. You and Mrs Rupert certainly did all you could - the little kitty had the best possible chance; it just wasn't to be. Very sad, but sometimes that's just the way it is...
06-29-2017, 11:51 AM   #37851
Pentaxian

always sad to lose a little one
06-29-2017, 12:19 PM   #37852
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

As we move on, it is a good time to stop and appreciate and say thanks for those we love and cherish...including our animals that are such a part of our lives.
So true. Unwelcome as it is, death makes us do just that, stop and appreciate what we have. We lost a close friend last week, his funeral was a couple of days ago. He was diagnosed with cancer just a few months ago. My first time in an orthodox funeral. I think it was more intimate and personal, in a way, with the congregation standing around the priests and the open casket during the ceremony. We got to say our farewells in a good way, sad as it was.

06-29-2017, 01:04 PM   #37853
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
Jim (ignoring any and all remarks about doctors and Mercedes and money motives applying to all of 'em as a class...)
I'm pretty certain I never used the word "all". I am very careful with that word, it has very limited uses. I can imagine you would agree that some doctors are better than others, some more dedicated than others and some more skilled than others. I have known some of all of these and I can guarantee you that I have known more than one "Mercedes" doctor. One of the reasons they still exist is that too many of those good and dedicated doctors deny that they exist and refuse to expose them. The horror stories exist, they are not imaginary. You know that. I can personally give you several.

Here is one for you that didn't make the obituary page. Go back to the page where I posted the data sheet on that meloxicam. Clearly states to avoid alcohol....and the consequences can be deadly. The doc that prescribed it for me clearly stated in the same visit that I can drink my wine at night as I take this drug for pain relief. What do you call that?
Might be good that I read the data sheets provided with the drugs I take....you think? There is risk with most any drug, but ignorance in prescribing instructions is just plain negligence.

Regards!
06-29-2017, 01:13 PM   #37854
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Here is one for you that didn't make the obituary page. Go back to the page where I posted the data sheet on that meloxicam. Clearly states to avoid alcohol....and the consequences can be deadly. The doc that prescribed it for me clearly stated in the same visit that I can drink my wine at night as I take this drug for pain relief. What do you call that?
I call that a doctor looking for a lawsuit.
06-29-2017, 02:22 PM   #37855
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Well said.
I second that!
06-29-2017, 02:25 PM   #37856
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Jim, I'm late to the thread's events as is often the case, but wanted to add my commiserations. You and Mrs Rupert certainly did all you could - the little kitty had the best possible chance; it just wasn't to be. Very sad, but sometimes that's just the way it is...
Different time zones and all, so late to comment here - I could not have said it better myself.
06-29-2017, 03:05 PM   #37857
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

And this week's Darwin Award goes to......

Pedro Ruiz III

He thought a book would stop a bullet and make him a YouTube star. Now he's dead. | Stuff.co.nz
06-29-2017, 03:17 PM - 1 Like   #37858
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I read that on the news feeds.
Mother Nature does indeed have her way of sanitizing the gene pool, doesn't she?
06-29-2017, 03:49 PM   #37859
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I read that on the news feeds.
Mother Nature does indeed have her way of sanitizing the gene pool, doesn't she?
I know. Worst is that he's the father of a 3 year old and his wife/partner is pregnant with their second child. There's a trend for people to do more and more dangerous things to be youtube stars. Til it goes wrong.
06-29-2017, 04:00 PM   #37860
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's like these fools. Get it wrong.....