Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108819 Likes Search this Thread
07-05-2017, 06:10 AM - 2 Likes   #38071
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Can you do a translation/explanation for young Bert??

I ain't that thick, I know what vacuum tubes are!

07-05-2017, 06:49 AM - 4 Likes   #38072
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Too long no bacon talk.
Here's some of mine that I smoke cooked along with a slab of baby back ribs yesterday.

07-05-2017, 06:51 AM - 4 Likes   #38073
Veteran Member

Sunday's chicken drummies:

07-05-2017, 06:54 AM - 1 Like   #38074
Veteran Member

Our neighbour had hayed their field and I helped him throw it on the trailer yesterday, etc...
Did I mention he used his 65 year old Ford 8N to cut, rake and bale the field?

07-05-2017, 07:16 AM - 3 Likes   #38075
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I am reading tonight, Marcus Vitruvio Polio's preface to his masterpiece, "On Architecture", De Architectura.
And I always thought Polio was something we didn't want.
07-05-2017, 07:20 AM - 1 Like   #38076
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
The curious thing is that the measured responses of valve amplifiers, under standard audio test conditions, are not as good as solid state, but mot audiophiles prefer valves.
Tube amplifiers have a warmer sound.

A (good) solid state amp lacks the warmth and feel of tubes, but is still capable of producing decent audio.

I'd love to have another decent tube amplifier. But they are far too large and bulky to carry around with my iPod. And the tubes are delicate, they do not travel well. Guess that is why they never really made it into car audio either.

Pity.
07-05-2017, 07:23 AM   #38077
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ccc_ Quote
this is a strange year...lots of road-killed raccoons and deer...no skunks
This guy has lived on road kill exclusively for most of his 40 some odd years.

Jonathan McGowan Eats Dead Skunks From The Middle Of The Road

07-05-2017, 07:26 AM   #38078
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Straight from Wikipedia - condensed:

The EL34 is a thermionic valve or vacuum tube of the power pentode type. It has an international octal base (indicated by the '3' in the part number) and is found mainly in the final output stages of audio amplification circuits and was designed to be suitable as a series regulator by virtue of its high permissible voltage between heater and cathode and other parameters.

The EL34 was introduced in 1949 by Philips the parent company of Mullard and, although no longer made by them, is manufactured by JJ Electronic, Shuguang, Svetlana, Reflector, Sovtek, Electro-Harmonix and Tung-Sol amongst others.

The EL34 was widely used in higher-powered audio amplifiers of the 1960s and 1970s, such as the very popular Dynaco Stereo 70 (I have one!) and the Leak TL25(mono) and Stereo 60, and is also widely used in high-end guitar amplifiers because it is characterized by greater distortion (considered desirable in this application) at lower power than other octal tubes such as 6L6, KT88 or 6550. The EL34 is found in many British guitar amps.
All you need now is a Telefunken U47.

Hey, you'll love it!

It's a way of life!

On the bus . . . . . . . . .
07-05-2017, 07:33 AM - 1 Like   #38079
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Someone mentions 200 watts and I don't think bike... I think one of these (yeah, let's rock!):
Yeah, me too.

I bought a Sansui AU7900 and 4, count 'em, 4, SpeakerLab 4 speaker kits back in the late 1970's. Although solid state rather than the wonderful tubes, and at only 75 watts (RMS) per channel, the setup still has enough power and the woofers in the SpeakerLab 4's have enough throw that they will blow out a candle placed in front of them.

The speakers weigh about 34 kilos, and the amp weighs around 14 kilos.

Let's rock!
07-05-2017, 07:38 AM   #38080
Veteran Member

The ad that just appeared on our local Facebook classifieds...

Just spotted 3 cows running down the road at...

The pictures with it show the cows really running, literally sprinting.
07-05-2017, 07:47 AM - 3 Likes   #38081
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
The pictures with it show the cows really running, literally sprinting.
Milkshakes anyone?
07-05-2017, 07:49 AM - 1 Like   #38082
Veteran Member

I am reading tonight, Marcus Vitruvio Polio's preface to his masterpiece, "On Architecture", De Architectura. Written (perhaps) somewhere between 27 and 23 BC, it is the only detailed work on Architecture, Town Planning and Construction Technology from the Roman era to have made it to the modern era. Some of you may know that the recipe for Roman concrete was lost some 1800 years ago, with the fall of the Western Roman Empire.

Today, I learnt that scientist think they may have discovered the secret to Roman concrete's fantastic properties. See Why modern mortar crumbles, but Roman concrete lasts millennia | Science | AAAS
It's only proper to remember that our only hints as to it's makeup are due to Vitruvius' writings.

I love the preface. Vitruvius starts off by telling Caesar (This would be Gaius Julius Caesar Octavianus Augustus, known as Augustus) that he has been writing these books but did not want to bother Caesar as he knew he was busy acquiring dominion of the world, vanquishing enemies; the senate and the people were enjoying peace and Caesar was busy with politics. Then he touches on the jobs Caesar had given him to do such as maintaining various engines of war. And he goes on to thank Caesar for paying him a decent wage so that he need not fear poverty. With the odd hint along the way that he owes his gratitude for those jobs to Augustus's sister.
interesting!

when we first built our pond we used volcanic rock for the head of the stream (the rock was easily machined)
it turned out that it eroded very quickly and when combined with our very hard water created a dense slurry
in addition to its abrasiveness this slurry would set into a very hard substance that killed filters and pumps
a fellow at a rock shop let us know (nicely) that we were just poor dumb s***s and directed us to a dealer of large garden stones

my father in law used the fly ash from the steel company he worked at and mixed it with very fine blow sand from the river to make a crack filler for paved patios and driveways
over time it hardened and nothing shifted under load

lastly, a contractor near here used a disc and turned over people's lanes and driveways
then he dumped a mix of Portland and blow sand into the dirt
disced again and rolled it to compact his work
after a couple of rain and dry cycles it was rock hard

this was almost forty years ago and those lanes still need little or no maintenance
07-05-2017, 11:26 AM - 1 Like   #38083
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
About 14 layers of angry.
the others i can't post

---------- Post added 5th Jul 2017 at 13:28 ----------

Straight from Wikipedia - condensed:

The EL34 is a thermionic valve or vacuum tube of the power pentode type. It has an international octal base (indicated by the '3' in the part number) and is found mainly in the final output stages of audio amplification circuits and was designed to be suitable as a series regulator by virtue of its high permissible voltage between heater and cathode and other parameters.

The EL34 was introduced in 1949 by Philips the parent company of Mullard and, although no longer made by them, is manufactured by JJ Electronic, Shuguang, Svetlana, Reflector, Sovtek, Electro-Harmonix and Tung-Sol amongst others.

The EL34 was widely used in higher-powered audio amplifiers of the 1960s and 1970s, such as the very popular Dynaco Stereo 70 (I have one!) and the Leak TL25(mono) and Stereo 60, and is also widely used in high-end guitar amplifiers because it is characterized by greater distortion (considered desirable in this application) at lower power than other octal tubes such as 6L6, KT88 or 6550. The EL34 is found in many British guitar amps.
great in guitars i prefer kt 88 in amps for home audio
07-05-2017, 01:29 PM   #38084
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
All you need now is a Telefunken U47.

Hey, you'll love it!

It's a way of life!

On the bus . . . . . . . . .
Way, way outside my price range!
07-05-2017, 01:31 PM - 2 Likes   #38085
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote

I ain't that thick, I know what vacuum tubes are!
Good thing bagpipes don't have amplifiers!