Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-07-2017, 07:36 PM - 1 Like   #38161
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
The town my post office is in is about 25 miles away population 17,926.

There is a town closer, about 4 miles or so, but it is a different zip code, population 3,364.

I suspect you are curious as to where the CO is. I'm not sure if the nearby town has one or not. Never looked for it (I do know what they look like).
yes
we are 4 geographic miles but about 6 cable miles from our serving office...so no ADSL
originally it would have been quite inexpensive but too far

initially 20000 feet was our company's limit and ADSL had to ride on an almost perfect facility

when the cable company changed facility type we ended up with very fast data connections at a reasonable price and have stayed with it

down at the farm the local telco remote has no internet solution
there is no cable either
so the people that have "high speed" data uses dishes or pay for a T1

thanks

07-07-2017, 08:31 PM - 1 Like   #38162
Veteran Member

I suspect you are curious as to where the CO is
Never looked for it (I do know what they look like).
Carbon Monoxide?

Run a vehicle and try checking the exhaust. You should find some there.
07-07-2017, 09:54 PM   #38163
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Carbon Monoxide?

Central Office, or as ccc called it, Serving Office. kind of like a substation, or hub.

In electrical distribution systems that distribute mains power around a region, and has substations and equipment that manages the power.

The phone system (we're talking land line) also operates on electricity (although much lower voltage, it is DC, and the object is to transmit communications, rather than provide electricity for light and power. The phone system uses equipment to manage that power and the signal transmissions in and out.

So just like with electric distribution, with the telephone the farther from the equipment your connection is, the poorer the quality of it.

All this talk about the phone company and their equipment has just given me an idea for a photographic subject.

The Phone Company

devilish
07-07-2017, 10:22 PM   #38164
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Thanks!
(I've known that for years....I have DISH disease)
Regards!
Forestier must have been a sadist to having invented something like that, that never needed to be invented. Who does it help, except perhaps Forestier, through the provision of customers.

07-07-2017, 10:23 PM   #38165
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ccc_ Quote
yes
we are 4 geographic miles but about 6 cable miles from our serving office...so no ADSL
originally it would have been quite inexpensive but too far

initially 20000 feet was our company's limit and ADSL had to ride on an almost perfect facility

when the cable company changed facility type we ended up with very fast data connections at a reasonable price and have stayed with it

down at the farm the local telco remote has no internet solution
there is no cable either
so the people that have "high speed" data uses dishes or pay for a T1

thanks
There is a place nearby, not the typical CO, no building. Just a couple concrete pads with large cabinets back off the road far enough to limit exposure to errant drunks. The telco is always there, fiddling around. I suspect it is a stripped down version of the CO. As you mention there is a distance limit.

So I just used Google Earth to measure the distance, and it is about 2.3 miles.

This is a screen grab from Google Earth Street View:

A couple neighbors have the satellite dish internet. I know one for sure is not pleased with the speeds he is getting, and he is really unhappy because he ditched the ADSL for it thinking it would be better. I've looked at the plans available and it doesn't look any better than what I have now.

Last edited by Racer X 69; 07-07-2017 at 11:44 PM.
07-07-2017, 10:30 PM   #38166
Pentaxian

The town my post office is in is about 25 miles away population 17,926.

There is a town closer, about 4 miles or so, but it is a different zip code, population 3,364.

I suspect you are curious as to where the CO is. I'm not sure if the nearby town has one or not. Never looked for it (I do know what they look like).
My post code has 30 houses, some of them are further away that houses in about three other adjacent post codes.

Many websites use a service for addresses: start with post code, then they give you a 'choose you house' box which populates the rest. The GPS in the car works the same way, and post code can be enough. Even places like airport car parks have post codes even though no one would ever send a letter to the car park, the owner's office is somewhere else. This is to help the car navigation system.
07-07-2017, 10:33 PM   #38167
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Carbon Monoxide?

Hey Bert, look what I just found.

07-07-2017, 10:36 PM - 1 Like   #38168
Pentaxian

Central Office, or as ccc called it, Serving Office. kind of like a substation, or hub.

In electrical distribution systems that distribute mains power around a region, and has substations and equipment that manages the power.

The phone system (we're talking land line) also operates on electricity (although much lower voltage, it is DC, and the object is to transmit communications, rather than provide electricity for light and power. The phone system uses equipment to manage that power and the signal transmissions in and out.

So just like with electric distribution, with the telephone the farther from the equipment your connection is, the poorer the quality of it.

All this talk about the phone company and their equipment has just given me an idea for a photographic subject.

The Phone Company

:devilish:
The other problem with copper lines is that they were designed to be adequate for the 4.5kHz bandwidth of voice calls. Re-use for the much bigger bandwidth needed for internet (of any quality) is challenging because you are sending the signal down a line which is basically a low pass filter (attenuates the high frequencies considerably). Therefore distance really matters. And it becomes very sensitive to the physical quality of the line all the way from exchange to end user.
07-07-2017, 10:42 PM   #38169
Pentaxian

The only place I came across use of alphabet to give a phone number was US and after mobiles (cells) a few businesses that had wangled numbers that would give text linked to their business name would write that on their vans but that was a pain for people not using a mobile (cell) handset, because the plug in phones usually only had numbers.
07-08-2017, 06:15 AM - 1 Like   #38170
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I still have a land line. Cannot beat the reliability. Even during our massive ice storm in 1991 and the great northeast blackout of 2004, the phone always worked. I was even nice enough to let those neighbors whose more modern communication technology had failed use it. Kind of funny as until a few years ago we still had the "harvest gold" wall mounted dial phone in place. It was from our first house we purchased in 1977. A 12 year old friend of one of my son's used it once to call home. He just stood there for a few second trying to figure out how to use it. After he was done, he hung up and said, "What a cool phone.".
07-08-2017, 08:15 AM - 1 Like   #38171
Veteran Member

New term, Amazon Math
deal of the day item price $9.99
regular price $14.99
savings 50%
07-08-2017, 08:24 AM   #38172
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
New term, Amazon Math
deal of the day item price $9.99
regular price $14.99
savings 50%
Sounds like my poor attempts at on the fly and in my head math calculations.

But hey, Amazon is so bent on total domination and control of e-commerce. If they say it is so, it is so.
07-08-2017, 08:30 AM   #38173
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
I still have a land line. Cannot beat the reliability. Even during our massive ice storm in 1991 and the great northeast blackout of 2004, the phone always worked. I was even nice enough to let those neighbors whose more modern communication technology had failed use it. Kind of funny as until a few years ago we still had the "harvest gold" wall mounted dial phone in place. It was from our first house we purchased in 1977. A 12 year old friend of one of my son's used it once to call home. He just stood there for a few second trying to figure out how to use it. After he was done, he hung up and said, "What a cool phone.".
There is now at least 2 generations that have come along, many who have never seen such miracles as that which Thomas Edison first used to beckon his assistant from the adjacent room.

I can remember the first time my family got a private line. Dad had gotten a raise, and he and mom decided we could afford the extra expense. We never had more than one line though, and only years later did they spring for the extra phone in their bedroom.

Back then a second, or third phone cost extra, and you rented the phones from the telco.
07-08-2017, 08:38 AM   #38174
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I have internet (100mb), phone, and TV all from Spectrum. Everything works pretty decent 98% of the time. No complaints. When I have a problem the girls at the office (Chocolate Girlfriends!) see that I get priority service. Sometimes if I drop by the office to report a problem, a service truck is waiting in my drive when I get home. Like I said...no complaints!

I have an old style flip phone...Tracfone service....and it is about $9. a month. I currently have around a thousand minutes to use...and it will work anywhere any phone will work.....and places most will not. Not a phone person, so I seldom use it, but it is there if needed. Mrs Rupert has a MIcrosoft smart phone and uses the fool out of it.....she loves it and it was so cheap compared to others. It works/coordinates with her Microsoft Band exercise watch and her Windows OS.

For me....I just like to keep everything simple! The less I have to think, the better I like it!

Regards!
07-08-2017, 08:51 AM   #38175
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I have internet (100mb), phone, and TV all from Spectrum.
Same here, we dished Dish and AT&T a little over a year ago. (not sure if our internet is 100mb)
We've been pleased with the service, and it's $100 a month cheaper than the other two combined,
Just now ran a wifi test, 55 Mbps download, 6 Mbps upload.
Guess that's good, not tech savvy enough to know.