07-13-2017, 02:50 PM - 3 Likes   #38431
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Did you have a nightmare, hon?
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I'd like to say I have never been in that situation.

I am not, however, a liar...
I had a coyote ugly morning once, way back when. Had been at a keg party drinking lots of beer and having good times, and woke up in a strange house, in a strange bed with a strange woman. Nearly had to chew my arm off to get out of there without having to say goodbye.

Never did find out her name.

Never saw her again, either.

Whew!

07-13-2017, 02:50 PM - 1 Like   #38432
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I hate you.
Thank you

07-13-2017, 03:01 PM - 2 Likes   #38433
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Base 10.

IN the US and Canada (and a few other places I'm sure) money is metric.

METRIC!
I do believe not many are left after the Brits caved. To quote Neil Gaiman (again):

QuoteQuote:
Two farthings = One Ha'penny. Two ha'pennies = One Penny. Three pennies = A Thrupenny Bit. Two Thrupences = A Sixpence. Two Sixpences = One Shilling, or Bob. Two Bob = A Florin. One Florin and One Sixpence = Half a Crown. Four Half Crowns = Ten Bob Note. Two Ten Bob Notes = One Pound (or 240 pennies). One Pound and One Shilling = One Guinea.
The British resisted decimalized currency for a long time because they thought it was too complicated.
07-13-2017, 03:03 PM   #38434
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's all relative, my friend. The time of year when the snow is melting faster than it falls from the skies is called summer, and the cows are happy.
It sure is! What do the cows do in those months when the snow falls faster than it melts? Do you keep them in barns or something?

07-13-2017, 03:14 PM - 1 Like   #38435
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
It sure is! What do the cows do in those months when the snow falls faster than it melts? Do you keep them in barns or something?
I believe they're called byres in English? So yes, and they are moved to lower altitudes where our summer (or "summer" of you like) is longer.

But to be fair, while our summers are short our summer days are long. Even here in the south the sun is up 19 hours a day around midsummer.
07-13-2017, 03:17 PM - 1 Like   #38436
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I had a coyote ugly morning once, way back when. Had been at a keg party drinking lots of beer and having good times, and woke up in a strange house, in a strange bed with a strange woman. Nearly had to chew my arm off to get out of there without having to say goodbye.

Never did find out her name.

Never saw her again, either.

Whew!
Once.

Sure.
07-13-2017, 03:46 PM   #38437
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
And we still talk of four by twos!
Because that is what it is, even when measured in other units.

07-13-2017, 04:00 PM   #38438
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
TP over and under depends upon one thing. Do you have any toddlers in the house? They can easily unroll the toilet paper rolls that are orientated to feed off the top.
07-13-2017, 04:04 PM   #38439
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Once.

Sure.
There were quite a few where all those conditions applied save for the part where I needed to chew my arm off to get away. On the contrary, there were many great mornings whipping up breakfast together and getting to know a new friend. And many of those became long time friendships.

Odd, after all these years, to still have a friendship with a woman who I had a one night stand with. We have a closeness unlike ordinary platonic friendships, but yet not as close as the one I have with Mrs. Racer.

And of course Mrs. Racer has a hard time getting her head around the whole thing too.

Can't understand why . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
07-13-2017, 04:07 PM   #38440
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
TP over and under depends upon one thing. Do you have any toddlers in the house? They can easily unroll the toilet paper rolls that are orientated to feed off the top.
That's where proper training and supervision comes in.

I know, them little rugrats and linoleum lizards can really get around. Gotta be a handful if more than one pops out too. Imagine how Octomom felt.

Eight of them little bugger crawling around at the same time.

Holy cats!
07-13-2017, 04:29 PM - 2 Likes   #38441
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
This is something that truly puzzles me.
The Space Shuttle flies at over 17,000 miles per hour and can maintain radio communication, but when the wind blows over about 50 mph I intermittently lose my cable t.v. signal (which is microwave at some point.) I once asked my cable provider why that happens. They didn't have an answer.
Those big down-link dishes catch the wind and get deflected just a smidgen, causing the SNR to drop below workable level. Heavy rain will act as an attenuator, absorbing the RF signal and reducing it to a level that is un-usable. Shuttle is using VHF and UHF for most of their comms. Different frequency's with different behavior.
07-13-2017, 04:54 PM   #38442
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I believe they're called byres in English? So yes, and they are moved to lower altitudes where our summer (or "summer" of you like) is longer.

But to be fair, while our summers are short our summer days are long. Even here in the south the sun is up 19 hours a day around midsummer.
No idea what a byre is! We would call it a barn or a shed.
07-13-2017, 05:06 PM   #38443
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Because that is what it is, even when measured in other units.
You're right, of course. Except that a purchased 4x2 measures 90x45mm, where a true 4x2 would be 102x51mm. But that's rough sawn, of course, where the dressed size is 90x45mm. (It used to be 94x47mm, but has since be standardised down to 90x45mm) And we'll talk of an eight by two which is actually 190x45mm, not 203x51mm.

Plywood is interesting. Typically, a sheet of plywood is 2440x1220mm. Which is of course 96x48 inches, or 8x4 feet.

Doors are 1980 x 910/860/810/760/710/660/610mm which is odd. Everywhere else in the world as far as I can determine, doors are 2032mm tall, which is 80 inches. And, 813mm is 32 inches, 762 is 30 inches, and so forth. So, our door widths derive from inch measurements. But the height, in New Zealand is odd. 1980mm is almost 78 inches. So why we have 2 inch shorter doors than the rest of the world I don't know and I have been unable to establish. Old houses (from 1900-1920's had 80 inch tall doors. Yet, no-one can tell me when the powers that be decided to shorten doors with 2 inches.
07-13-2017, 05:29 PM - 1 Like   #38444
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

I love hiking in the mountains. Well, not the cold and windy part. Or the rain/sleet/snow part. But that's part of the deal when going up this early in the summer. Start of August is usually better, before the autumn hits. Summer is short up there.

But sure, the job situation quickly went from all sucky to a paid 9 week vacation and 3 months of double pay. If the new position turns out to be OK I'll be quite happy

Too bad that the K-1 overnight went from $1800 to over $2300...

And that's why I won't buy a K-1
mountains and forests make me claustrophobic in very short order

interesting to take pictures of and trout live there but much too constricting to my delicate little psyche

but snow and cold...love it...especially on the plains

---------- Post added 07-13-17 at 05:37 PM ----------

Base 10.

IN the US and Canada (and a few other places I'm sure) money is metric.

METRIC!
i'm just trying to nudge you towards the light....decimal!
07-13-2017, 06:19 PM - 1 Like   #38445
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Those big down-link dishes catch the wind and get deflected just a smidgen, causing the SNR to drop below workable level. Heavy rain will act as an attenuator, absorbing the RF signal and reducing it to a level that is un-usable. Shuttle is using VHF and UHF for most of their comms. Different frequency's with different behavior.
Also the investment in the antenna, and therefore how stable it is.