QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Inconvenient, to be sure!

(Ain't quoting out of context grand?)

07-19-2017, 04:14 AM - 1 Like   #38567
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
In 3 more years I 'max out'.

By the union contract, after 6 years of employment, no matter where a person is in the wage progression (they don't always start everyone out at the base rate), they automatically bump to the top of the scale for their particular job classification. After that the only increases are whatever annual percentage is negotiated for cost of living increases (typically a fraction of the CPI for the region, runs 1% to 3%).

But.

Nearly all the pay grades max out at very good money.

Add on more overtime than many like to work, and the $$$$ add up quick.

The only kicker for me is I will max out about a year and a half from my 65th birthday. I would like to retire then, but if my body can still manage it, I may hang on one more year.

If they are still building airplanes in The World's Largest Building that is.
our contract had a wage scale that spanned five years but I got caught in two transitions so it took almost seven years to hit top
the good thing was because of the shifts I ended up with three extra weeks of vacation over a two year period

ultimately, as technology increased, the skill bands were consolidated
so the nickel an hour that separated classifications were eliminated
the downside to that was for years some work was literally "not my job" after consolidation it was all your job

if going back to work is what you want...have fun!

---------- Post added 07-19-17 at 04:17 AM ----------

Nice looking little piece.

Is that stainless?
yes

the belt buckle gun...was it a little stainless revolver?
if so NAA had a very cute 5shot 22lr

---------- Post added 07-19-17 at 04:25 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
Sloppy means they keep working in crap conditions and crap maintenance compared to high precision models, though. Which was intended that way, of course...
it is fascinating when sometimes design intent actually coincides with its usage

I read a translation of an interview with the designer of the Russian ww2 machine pistols...
he said that chrome lined bores and sloppy fit meant that anybody could shoot his guns whether they cleaned them or not
he also pointed out that the only precision machine work was on the barrel nost of the parts were stamped

---------- Post added 07-19-17 at 04:36 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
(Laughs). Since it's actually an argument for gun control, let's not go there!

Yeah, know what you mean, Ccc.

There's such a thing as too slack.

The Sten gun was "made" by the British because acquiring a large number of nicely made Thompsons from the States in a hurry in 1940 wasn't on the cards. I put talking marks around 'made' because perhaps five man-hours went into putting together stamped parts.

On a historical forum, I was told by an ex Royal Marine who served from D-Day onwards in France in 1944 (Marines were pressed into ground combat because of a scarcity of infantry) that the things were hated. You just couldn't trust 'em not to jam, misfire or fall apart.

in the early 70s I had a case of trouble at a farm that was just out side of town (it's a mall and golf course now)
a spectacular amount of noise was coming from the road ditch as I drove up his lane
the tenant was a deputy sheriff and his trunk gun was a Thompson...talk about a gun nuts' wet dream
apparently the department had been offered surplus SMGs ( we had just gone through a couple of summers of "racial unrest")...those with seniority took tommy guns, the noobs got M3s
07-19-2017, 05:08 AM - 1 Like   #38568
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
All the Jims and Bobs in here
Several years ago at our deer camp there were 3 Bobs and a Rob.
07-19-2017, 06:00 AM - 2 Likes   #38569
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Several years ago at our deer camp there were 3 Bobs and a Rob.
Well, of course, in Australia all intellectuals are alcoholics named Bruce.

Last edited by clackers; 07-19-2017 at 06:24 AM.
07-19-2017, 06:17 AM - 1 Like   #38570
Site Supporter
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The only kicker for me is I will max out about a year and a half from my 65th birthday. I would like to retire then, but if my body can still manage it, I may hang on one more year.
Hey Racer...if Mrs Rupert can make it until age 80, you should be able to make it a couple of extra years too.

Regards!
07-19-2017, 06:46 AM - 2 Likes   #38571
Pentaxian

Speaking of retirement, Mrs Bob's first SS check hit the bank account at midnight last night.
No Alpo for us tonight!
07-19-2017, 07:20 AM - 1 Like   #38572
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ccc_ Quote

I read a translation of an interview with the designer of the Russian ww2 machine pistols...
he said that chrome lined bores and sloppy fit meant that anybody could shoot his guns whether they cleaned them or not
he also pointed out that the only precision machine work was on the barrel nost of the parts were stamped
The PPSh-41 was an interesting little weapon. It only had two speeds. Off or full auto. The barrels were made from worn out infantry rifle barrels. They would cut out the good sections and uses them. The Russians made them 1n 7.62 x 25 and the Finns did theirs in 9mm and used all new parts. It was pretty heavy too. It weights 3.6 kg (8 lbs) without it's 35 round box or 71 round magazine attached. My son came across quite a few of them in Afghanistan.

The Russians were maniacal in having their soldiers clean their weapons. Anyone who has collected Russian Mosin Nagant rifles has experienced the lands and grooves at the muzzle worn smooth by over zealous cleaning with metal cleaning rods. Other rifles have had their muzzles counterbored. The bore was milled back to where they lands and grooves were good. Sometimes this could be as much as 4 or 5 centimeters.
07-19-2017, 07:58 AM - 1 Like   #38573
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Speaking of retirement, Mrs Bob's first SS check hit the bank account at midnight last night.
No Alpo for us tonight!
Feels good doesn't it! I get to look online at Mrs Rupert's paychecks every other Friday and her SS check the last Wed of the month. If she keeps on working, I only have 10 more years to get excited when she gets paid.......but heck, I don't see lasting 10 more years anyhow. I think I'm about worn plumb out.......

You and Mrs Bob enjoy every moment you can, they pass so fast and at any moment it can all go south. I was cruising along until this pneumonia hit me like a ton of bricks and now just surviving one day at a time is the duty of the day.

Which reminds me.....we were talking last night of all the places we were going when we got old....we got so tired just from talking about it that we had to stop! When you actually "get there" it may not be like you expected, so do the "doing" now, while you can!

Although it damn near killed me, I will forever be grateful for the 5400 mile round trip we took to Oregon. So many memories, so many wonderful sights.....and so many thanks to Racer for giving us that route to cut across the middle of Oregon...it was spectacular!

Regards!

07-19-2017, 08:04 AM   #38574
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
The PPSh-41 was an interesting little weapon. It only had two speeds. Off or full auto. The barrels were made from worn out infantry rifle barrels. They would cut out the good sections and uses them. The Russians made them 1n 7.62 x 25 and the Finns did theirs in 9mm and used all new parts. It was pretty heavy too. It weights 3.6 kg (8 lbs) without it's 35 round box or 71 round magazine attached. My son came across quite a few of them in Afghanistan.

The Russians were maniacal in having their soldiers clean their weapons. Anyone who has collected Russian Mosin Nagant rifles has experienced the lands and grooves at the muzzle worn smooth by over zealous cleaning with metal cleaning rods. Other rifles have had their muzzles counterbored. The bore was milled back to where they lands and grooves were good. Sometimes this could be as much as 4 or 5 centimeters.
I have very limited experience with full auto...but weight is your friend when shooting...when carrying...not so much

the shortened barrel accounts for something I read...an over-stabilized bullet is inherently unstable, especially very far from the muzzle...in a pistol the 7.62 has a reputation for good penetration in the soviet machine pistols supposedly it did what the Russians have designed their bullets to do for a long time...it yawed off axis on contact (of course ours were made that way as well)

years ago I loaded 32s&w wadcutters into 303 cases
then adjusted the velocity until it ran straight out to a 100 yards
on soft targets (even paper targets) the bullet upset to about .4 inch...the recovered bullets were originally 98 grains but retained as little as 35 grains of weight
however if it hit something solid it tumbled around and made serious mess of things
07-19-2017, 08:15 AM - 2 Likes   #38575
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
You and Mrs Bob enjoy every moment you can, they pass so fast
Ain't that the truth, seems like the slower our feet can walk the faster the clock runs.

Now back to the regularly scheduled gun show.
07-19-2017, 08:39 AM   #38576
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ain't that the truth, seems like the slower our feet can walk the faster the clock runs.

Now back to the regularly scheduled gun show.
Guns bring out the enthusiasts.....no doubt about it. I think the last time I was really excited about guns was around age 12 when my Granddad turned me loose with a .22 rifle and a 10 gauge shotgun. I must have gone through a million rounds in a short period of time. When the thrill left..it was just gone, and never came back. I have nothing against guns, but they bring no excitement.

Motorcycles....yep, they still bring a faster heartbeat just thinking of those days.......so do fast a cars...and blonds......but not guns!

Regards!
07-19-2017, 08:49 AM - 3 Likes   #38577
Pentaxian

Motorcycles....yep, they still bring a faster heartbeat just thinking of those days.......so do fast a cars...and blonds......but not guns!
Here's 2 out of 4 for you.

07-19-2017, 08:56 AM - 1 Like   #38578
Pentaxian

Guns, for me, were mostly hunting tools, and I did love them in that respect.
I say were since I haven't hunted in a few years.
I own several long guns and pistols, but don't shoot them much.
Gun ranges are ok, but I prefer plinking somewhere unrestricted and uncrowded.
Not many places like that anymore, around here at least.
07-19-2017, 10:25 AM - 1 Like   #38579
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Gun ranges are ok, but I prefer plinking somewhere unrestricted and uncrowded.
Not many places like that anymore, around here at least.
Yep, I did used to enjoy plinking but as you noted, there are few places left where you can safely and legally spend some time doing so. In particular in Texas where there is zero "open range"...... as there is out west. The fun is just not there anymore.....maybe not with a good blond either......but it wouldn't hurt to check it out?

Regards!
07-19-2017, 10:44 AM - 2 Likes   #38580
Veteran Member

...Guns bring out the enthusiasts.....no doubt about it....
don't you really think what bring out the cranks is whatever they care about or play at?

guns, squirrels, food or heaven help us...photography

just do what you do at home...smile and nod