Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108796 Likes Search this Thread
07-22-2017, 08:47 AM   #38671
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I think I cracked a rib.
Damn Jim, you can't catch a break.
Probably, hopefully, just a muscle strain like I've had a few times in the past.
Hope you get that train back on the tracks soon.

07-22-2017, 09:21 AM   #38672
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I can see no sex for 5 years.....under some circumstances...but no bacon? I'm having a hard time buying that story???
So how long have you gone without lutefish? Velveeta? Grilled meat?

Regards!
Well, some years ago our cholesterol levels started climbing so we cut out a few things. Bacon being one of them. We had hamburgs yesterday and some nice strip steaks last weekend. Quite frankly my wife makes a killer pasta sauce and I would rather have pasta with large chunks of meat cooked in the sauce when it is made. For the last 17 years of my working career until I retired last year, we rarely ate dinner during the week. I did field service and there was never any guarantee that I would even be home for supper. Each day a new adventure. I always carried a three day change of clothing with me just in case I could not make it home that day.

Since we only ate half of it, I see more bacon in my future soon.
07-22-2017, 09:39 AM   #38673
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Damn Jim, you can't catch a break.
Probably, hopefully, just a muscle strain like I've had a few times in the past.
Hope you get that train back on the tracks soon.
Bob, I am now going into the third month of this and I feel more like an invalid than I ever have. I'm locked inside for most of the time, the heat and humidity are so oppressive. I am bored....do not sleep really well and have little to look forward to except trying to beat this stuff. Mostly just miserable...but still kicking!
I'm pretty sure I will never be the same after this is over...damn.....if it ever is over? I should have been a squirrel, and would have been if I had been given a choice.

---------- Post added 07-22-17 at 11:40 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Since we only ate half of it, I see more bacon in my future soon.
Well, that part is good news!

Regards!
07-22-2017, 09:44 AM - 1 Like   #38674
Pentaxian

Well, some years ago our cholesterol levels started climbing so we cut out a few things. Bacon being one of them. We had hamburgs yesterday and some nice strip steaks last weekend.
Can you imagine that? Missing 5 years of bacon because of drug company propaganda? The research that led to the consumption of billions of dollars of drug sales was faked. The actual fact is, that in the only controlled large scale study, the higher the cholesterol the longer you are likely to live. That based on a study of 800,000 people over 20 years in Japan. The studies used to justify taming high cholesterol were all 400 people or less, and 400 people who were already seriously ill. The drug companies just "inadvertently "left out the results of the studies they di on people with normal health when they went for their approvals.

Personally, I kept eating bacon, ignored the drug studies, understanding from reading them how flawed they were, and am overjoyed that I did. I'll live longer and I got to eat bacon.

On the other hand 5 years without sex?
That I'm having a bit of trouble with.

The beneficial to overall health. highs and feeling of well being you get from sex are well documented. One study suggested, the more sex you have (up to 23 times a month_ the less likely you are to develop prostate cancer, once you are over 55 years old. (It would have the opposite effect before the age of 50, where too much sex increases the likelihood of prostate cancer. Our society's fascination with condemning "feel good" practices, like eating bacon and sex, is to say the least puzzling, especially when so much of it turns out to be nothing more than Puritan hog wash. Puritan in the sense of "if it feels good, it must be bad."

How do these two topics get related you ask?

Cholesterol is a component used in combination with vitamin D to produce testosterone. If you don't have enough vitamin D or cholesterol, you probably won't even want sex. An anti-cholesterol lifestyle is an anti-bacon and sex lifestyle.

Those Puritans are way more sneaky than we give them credit for.

They don't care if you die young, and they make your life so miserable and lacking in endorphins, you don't care either.

Last edited by normhead; 07-22-2017 at 09:59 AM.
07-22-2017, 10:22 AM   #38675
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
On the other hand 5 years without sex?
That I'm having a bit of trouble with.
I dunno......I've seen (and heard!) a few of my friends wives that make me pretty damn sure I could go a lifetime without even thinking about it...

Regardless of how you view cholesterol findings...true or false.....what is life if you can't enjoy it? Bacon brings joy, happiness, and fulfillment! So does cheesecake and a ton of other great stuff....it's not like you may not die if you live the life of a Puritan....my bet is that they die just like us bacon eaters?

Regards!
07-22-2017, 10:54 AM   #38676
Pentaxian

I dunno......I've seen (and heard!) a few of my friends wives that make me pretty damn sure I could go a lifetime without even thinking about it...

Regardless of how you view cholesterol findings...true or false.....what is life if you can't enjoy it? Bacon brings joy, happiness, and fulfillment! So does cheesecake and a ton of other great stuff....it's not like you may not die if you live the life of a Puritan....my bet is that they die just like us bacon eaters?

Regards!

Often they die sooner.
07-22-2017, 11:30 AM   #38677
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

So, I thought I'd check in on WIWBAK3, or as I sometimes think of it, the "BBQ and Ailments Forum"

I'm sitting here typing one-handed and wrong-handed...

Went for some steroid injections on Thursday, one into my left hip bursa and the other into the joint of my right elbow. The hip injection went fine - a little uncomfortable as usual but not really painful, as such (over and above the arthritis, that is). But the elbow injection... Holy Mary, that was pain I don't recall experiencing before. Like having a dentist drill into a tooth nerve and just keep on drilling And it felt like that once the needle was removed, too. It calmed down a little after a few hours and some ice pack treatment, but yesterday I had a "cortisone flare" in the joint, caused (I'm told) by the cortisone crystallising. My right arm is basically useless for now... if I move my fingers, the tendons "burn". If I try to bend my arm, my elbow screams at me. I can't drive, type, control a mouse, lift a cup of coffee. And I can't use any kind of camera (including the K3 beloved of this thread) - not that I feel like it. Should ease up in a few days, apparently, but it's very frustrating.

I'm going to pour myself a large medicinal glass of wine now, and hold it with my left hand as I sip.

Sorry to bitch and moan, folks. I feel a little better, somehow

07-22-2017, 11:45 AM - 1 Like   #38678
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I'm sitting here typing one-handed and wrong-handed...
What the hell is this, an epidemic?
Not sure I want to hang around here anymore, might catch something.
Get Well Everybody!!!
07-22-2017, 11:48 AM - 1 Like   #38679
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

What the hell is this, an epidemic?
'Tis the curse of the Live Hocir...
07-22-2017, 12:06 PM   #38680
Veteran Member

'Tis the curse of the Live Hocir...
Must be, you even admit to owning the evil beast.

On the plus side, the arthritis that's been kicking my butt the last few days seems mild by comparison.
07-22-2017, 01:06 PM - 4 Likes   #38681
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm going to pour myself a large medicinal glass of wine now, and hold it with my left hand as I sip.

Sorry to bitch and moan, folks. I feel a little better, somehow
If you can't bitch and moan in this thread then the thread is a total failure. Its very roots go to bitching and moaning so clearly, no apology is necessary.
As to the issues you're relating here, I think one phrase sums it up. "Getting old SUCKS!"
As to the discomfort itself, Mike, just remember that it'll quit hurting once the pain goes away.
07-22-2017, 01:23 PM   #38682
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
If you can't bitch and moan in this thread then the thread is a total failure. Its very roots go to bitching and moaning
I missed that. Of course, you're right, Jim. This is the original bitch 'n' moan thread

As to the issues you're relating here, I think one phrase sums it up. "Getting old SUCKS!"
I hear you - but then, I'm only 48. I guess that's the wrong side of the young/old divide, but it feels like this stuff should be happening at least a bit later. Maybe I'm paying for a wild and excessive youth... though I find it hard to believe I was any more wild than a large percentage of folks (then again, there were some truly special nights out!! ). Or maybe I should just suck it up. Compared to many, I have nothing to complain about really... I mean, I didn't get hit by a car or anything like that

As to the discomfort itself, Mike, just remember that it'll quit hurting once the pain goes away.
That's wisdom and hope, right there... all in one neat package. Thanks, Jim
07-22-2017, 01:27 PM   #38683
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Can you imagine that? Missing 5 years of bacon because of drug company propaganda? The research that led to the consumption of billions of dollars of drug sales was faked. The actual fact is, that in the only controlled large scale study, the higher the cholesterol the longer you are likely to live. That based on a study of 800,000 people over 20 years in Japan. The studies used to justify taming high cholesterol were all 400 people or less, and 400 people who were already seriously ill. The drug companies just "inadvertently "left out the results of the studies they di on people with normal health when they went for their approvals.

Personally, I kept eating bacon, ignored the drug studies, understanding from reading them how flawed they were, and am overjoyed that I did. I'll live longer and I got to eat bacon.
I am on no meds. My doctor is an outlier. He is not a pill pusher. There is a small trend starting in the US. Doctors are actually starting to prescribe diet and exercise instead of pills.
07-22-2017, 01:35 PM - 3 Likes   #38684
Veteran Member

diet and exercise
So we can now use profanity on this thread?
Cool!
07-22-2017, 01:42 PM - 3 Likes   #38685
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

diet and exercise
So we can now use profanity on this thread?
Cool!
The way my browser is set up, I only saw "d***" and "e*******" in that quote, so I don't know the exact words that were used. They're obviously profanities, though. "Dung" and "excrement", maybe? Seems mild for the profanity filter...