Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2014, 03:06 PM   #3871
Site Supporter
Jean Poitiers's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lost in translation ...
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 16,502
A vivid memory ... my Dad was racing down a rural Arkansas road at 100+mph in the '76 351 Cleveland powered Ford Cougar XR-7 ... my Dad drove fast, especially in Arkansas where he grew up ... Anyway, there was a covey of quail at the bottom of the hill and they all started to fly off away from the road ... Except for one which seemed to hover in mid-air ... and "boom" ... contact was made with the top center of the grill and the circular hood ornament ... the quail exploded its guts, spattering all over the windshield ... then, the dead corpse of the almost gutted quail was stuck for a moment on the hood ornament and was then push by the air flow from the grill area, sliding with a blood trail across and up the hood, then hitting the wipers to continue the blood smear up and over the windshield ... I was in the passenger's seat, thus had a front row view of this spectacle ... worse, Dad hit the wipers and made the mess worse ... at the next town, we fortunately found a "you-get-wet" car wash.

I won't buy a K-3 because it does not have quail collision radar avoidance equipment; maybe for possum, but not quail ... J

01-26-2014, 03:31 PM   #3872
Moderator
Racer X 69's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Great Pacific Northwet
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,606
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
A vivid memory ... my Dad was racing down a rural Arkansas road at 100+mph in the '76 351 Cleveland powered Ford Cougar XR-7 ... my Dad drove fast, especially in Arkansas where he grew up ... Anyway, there was a covey of quail at the bottom of the hill and they all started to fly off away from the road ... Except for one which seemed to hover in mid-air ... and "boom" ... contact was made with the top center of the grill and the circular hood ornament ... the quail exploded its guts, spattering all over the windshield ... then, the dead corpse of the almost gutted quail was stuck for a moment on the hood ornament and was then push by the air flow from the grill area, sliding with a blood trail across and up the hood, then hitting the wipers to continue the blood smear up and over the windshield ... I was in the passenger's seat, thus had a front row view of this spectacle ... worse, Dad hit the wipers and made the mess worse ... at the next town, we fortunately found a "you-get-wet" car wash.
Oh my, that poor defenseless and innocent quail!
01-26-2014, 03:59 PM   #3873
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 3,276
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Sounds like you have the same 4 seasons there that we have here.
Winter's Coming, Winter, Still Winter, and depending on what part of the state you're in, Damn It's Hot or Where Did All These Bugs Come From.
Am I correct assuming that much of the midwest gets Damn It's Hot plus Where Did All These Bugs Come From simultaneously? There's a reason why I've never ventured far beyond city limits on my visits to family in Minneapolis. It's either too cold to venture into the wilderness or in the hot months the mosquitos conduct carpet bombing raids.
01-26-2014, 04:04 PM   #3874
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Parallax's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: South Dakota
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 15,593
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Am I correct assuming that much of the midwest gets Damn It's Hot plus Where Did All These Bugs Come From simultaneously?.
That's a fair assumption. The farther West you go, the fewer the bugs, but from the Missouri river East it's a swat fest 3-4 months of the year.

01-26-2014, 04:09 PM   #3875
Moderator
Racer X 69's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Great Pacific Northwet
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,606
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
. . . . or in the hot months the mosquitos conduct carpet bombing raids.
I considered going into the shellac business a few years ago after collecting about half the mosquito population between Mitchell and Sioux Falls.



If I had maybe I could afford a K3.
01-26-2014, 04:13 PM   #3876
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Parallax's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: South Dakota
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 15,593
If you think it's bad on I90, try driving 83 from Pierre to Bismarck somtime.
01-26-2014, 04:35 PM   #3877
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Wangaratta, Victoria
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,469
Bugs & mosquitos can be bad, but locusts...
locust plaque - Bing Images
01-26-2014, 05:02 PM   #3878
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 20,330
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Ah, but now we're going back to me being handicapped by not having English as my first language. There is a distinction between the sixties and my sixties, isn't there?

And that's why I won't buy a K-3!
It's all a matter of perspective, I think.

01-26-2014, 05:05 PM   #3879
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 20,330
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Oh my, that poor defenseless and innocent quail!
Quail? That poor defenseless hood ornament!!
01-26-2014, 05:47 PM   #3880
Moderator
Tom S.'s Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: S.E. Michigan
Photos: Albums
Posts: 4,239
QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Bugs & mosquitos can be bad, but locusts...
locust plaque - Bing Images
Perhaps, but locust can be fried or dipped in chocolate. Mosquitos on the other hand are too small to mess with, unless you come to Michigan, where hunting them with a shotgun is legal (and necessary).
01-26-2014, 06:10 PM   #3881
Veteran Member
Joel B's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,336
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I considered going into the shellac business a few years ago after collecting about half the mosquito population between Mitchell and Sioux Falls.
Do you haul any refrigerated?? Like cheese??
01-26-2014, 07:51 PM   #3882
jac
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Clyde River, Nunavut, Canada
Posts: 2,363
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
A vivid memory ... my Dad was racing down a rural Arkansas road at 100+mph in the '76 351 Cleveland powered Ford Cougar XR-7 ... my Dad drove fast, especially in Arkansas where he grew up ... Anyway, there was a covey of quail at the bottom of the hill and they all started to fly off away from the road ... Except for one which seemed to hover in mid-air ... and "boom" ... contact was made with the top center of the grill and the circular hood ornament ... the quail exploded its guts, spattering all over the windshield ... then, the dead corpse of the almost gutted quail was stuck for a moment on the hood ornament and was then push by the air flow from the grill area, sliding with a blood trail across and up the hood, then hitting the wipers to continue the blood smear up and over the windshield ... I was in the passenger's seat, thus had a front row view of this spectacle ... worse, Dad hit the wipers and made the mess worse ... at the next town, we fortunately found a "you-get-wet" car wash.

I won't buy a K-3 because it does not have quail collision radar avoidance equipment; maybe for possum, but not quail ... J
Try hitting a snow goose at ten thousand feet in a Twin Otter. We were returning to Dorset on a chartered Twin when this darned goose appeared out of nowhere and stuck the nacelle of the aircraft right below the windshield wiper. Made a noise like a shotgun that echoed through the plane. I was at the front and could see what happened but my staff at the back got real nervous, especially when the pilot decided to test the flight surfaces, banking, rising, dropping the nose and then hitting level flight again. Half the team thought were were on our way into the water. When we landed, all that was left of the goose were a few feathers stuck under the wiper. The pilot did have avoidance radar but the goose didn't register. He'd seen it coming but did not have time to react; just had to let it hit and hope for the best. He did have the presence of mind not to activate the wipers. Crashing in the Arctic is no fun; hardly any roadkill to salvage and munch on while you await rescue. What the heck that goose was doing up that high buy itself we'll never know but it didn't have the guts to do it again.
01-26-2014, 10:40 PM   #3883
Veteran Member
Joel B's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,336
"Ain't a fit night out for man nor beast!" - W.C. Fields in the Fatal Glass of Beer
01-26-2014, 10:46 PM   #3884
Site Supporter
Jean Poitiers's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lost in translation ...
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 16,502
QuoteOriginally posted by jac Quote
Try hitting a snow goose at ten thousand feet in a Twin Otter. We were returning to Dorset on a chartered Twin when this darned goose appeared out of nowhere and stuck the nacelle of the aircraft right below the windshield wiper. Made a noise like a shotgun that echoed through the plane. I was at the front and could see what happened but my staff at the back got real nervous, especially when the pilot decided to test the flight surfaces, banking, rising, dropping the nose and then hitting level flight again. Half the team thought were were on our way into the water. When we landed, all that was left of the goose were a few feathers stuck under the wiper. The pilot did have avoidance radar but the goose didn't register. He'd seen it coming but did not have time to react; just had to let it hit and hope for the best. He did have the presence of mind not to activate the wipers. Crashing in the Arctic is no fun; hardly any roadkill to salvage and munch on while you await rescue. What the heck that goose was doing up that high buy itself we'll never know but it didn't have the guts to do it again.
Yikes ... 10,000 feet ... yikes! Thankfully we were not that high, but still "flying" pretty fast ... those micro-seconds before impact are awful and seem like an eternity at the moment, J
01-26-2014, 11:02 PM   #3885
Site Supporter
Jean Poitiers's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lost in translation ...
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 16,502
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Quail? That poor defenseless hood ornament!!
Yeah, the hood ornament never quite stood "straight up" again after that collision ... plus it took about an entire quarter's worth of car wash spray just to make it transparent again ... remember that old Cougar decoration ?! Looked like this one if memory serves me correctly ... plus Dad's XR-7 was red, and maybe it was an earlier model, too. He went through a lot of cars ... all makes & models ... no brand loyalty; it was just the flavor of the day that prevailed.



Another reason not to get a K-3 ... it wouldn't stand up to a high pressure car wash jet cleaning ... shoot at it and it would probably go scooting across the cleaning bay floor and into the drainage grill recession ... poor design concept here.


Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 01-26-2014 at 11:08 PM.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
arctic cold, bacon, basque paella, beer, caffeine, camera, canada, catch 22, cheddar, cheese, dachsunds, dew, drink, dslr, gin, igunaq, k-mount, k3, kids, lutefisk, marital relations, mother, mountain, norm, patent, pentax k-3, pentax lens, possums, research, ricoh, sandwich, scotch, shirley, snoring, spam, toilet, tokyo, veggies, vermont, world
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
why I will buy a K3 chicagojohn Pentax K-3 80 09-18-2016 08:42 AM
Suggestion Neutralize the 'why I won't buy a k-3' thread crewl1 Site Suggestions and Help 61 10-04-2014 05:08 PM
Why I Won't Be Buying A K5IIs Racer X 69 Pentax K-5 40 02-03-2014 08:12 PM
Why I don't buy Pentax lenses keyser Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 44 12-20-2012 01:58 AM
I feel so old: 8 things the facebook gen won't buy Nesster General Talk 27 04-22-2012 11:01 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:54 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top