Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108796 Likes Search this Thread
07-30-2017, 08:19 AM - 1 Like   #38956
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Let me rephrase that, I take anything a lutefisk eater says with a grain of salt.
Spoilsport

07-30-2017, 08:23 AM - 1 Like   #38957
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ccc_ Quote

the fish, meat, veggie or even nasty tofu, or cardboard, is the medium of transformation and the vehicle by which those flavors are transferred to your mouth thence to your brain
You left out something . . . . . . . . .

There.

Fixed.
07-30-2017, 08:28 AM   #38958
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Eddie, I read that 4 times and still have no idea what it means??? Can we get a translator over here?

Regards!
Bouillabaisse is a very good stew or soup made from a variety of fish, shellfish and lots of delicious vegetables. Find a good seafood restaurant that offers it, or a recipe and make it at home.

It is very good.

Better than squirrel stew.
07-30-2017, 08:31 AM - 1 Like   #38959
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
a cowboy from western south dakota piped up
A lutefisk eating cowboy I'll bet.

07-30-2017, 08:47 AM   #38960
Veteran Member

A lutefisk eating cowboy I'll bet.
nope!
beef
he raised horse for prestige, cows because he couldn't be a cowboy without them and sheep for money

he and friend of mine (also a cowperson) were like soul mates...beef, potatoes and bread, three times a day

we had an incredible variety of nearby eateries
they found one for breakfast, one for lunch and one for supper
the rest of us ate everything from around the world...I did notice we ate a schezwan place fairly often, but I think that was because the wait staff was as hot as the food
07-30-2017, 08:53 AM - 1 Like   #38961
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

of course you do!

the raw spice would be overwhelming and/or unpleasant

the fish, meat, veggie or even nasty tofu is the medium of transformation and the vehicle by which those flavors are transferred to your mouth thence to your brain

think of it this way
I serve you the butthole of a pig...you are disgusted and refuse to eat
I stuff it full of mysterious ingredients...meats and spices...your nose twitches, your salivary glands activate, you gobble up the sausage and have little food orgasms...same idea

I forget that you enjoy catfish...is it the salty, crunchy breading or the delicate aromatic hints of mud that gets you there?
I don't bread it. Just a fry in light oil.
(vegetable oil, that is; not 5w 20.)
07-30-2017, 09:18 AM   #38962
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
(vegetable oil, that is; not 5w 20.)
You got something against 5W 20?

07-30-2017, 10:34 AM - 2 Likes   #38963
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I don't bread it. Just a fry in light oil.
Whatever suits you...but catfish needs to be breaded here in Texas, and if it isn't, your Eatery is out of business on day one. There are many varieties of breading, most all delicious. Some "secret recipes" are as good as the fish.
Same goes for Chicken Fried Steak. It MUST be breaded or it isn't what you ordered..... and down here permission to shoot the cook is a given.

Catfish done right...

CFS done right...

Okra unbreaded and fried? Come on!...only a lutefish eater could imagine such a thing.

Regards!

Forgot:
The catfish itself must have a very slight hint of fine dirt. The kind we ate every so often as kids. Not your regular old average dirty dirt, but that dirt with the special flavor sort of like the smell you get in the air just before a rain on a hot day. That's what makes catfish special.
07-30-2017, 11:33 AM - 1 Like   #38964
Veteran Member

Okra unbreaded and fried? Come on!...only a lutefish eater could imagine such a thing.
Mom simply used flour, salt and pepper, my daughter makes it that way since she loved her grandma's fried okra, me too.
I also like cornmeal breading.
07-30-2017, 11:36 AM - 1 Like   #38965
Veteran Member

The catfish itself must have a very slight hint of fine dirt. The kind we ate every so often as kids. Not your regular old average dirty dirt, but that dirt with the special flavor sort of like the smell you get in the air just before a rain on a hot day. That's what makes catfish special.
Never thought of it that way, but it's spot on.
07-30-2017, 12:35 PM - 1 Like   #38966
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Mom simply used flour, salt and pepper, my daughter makes it that way since she loved her grandma's fried okra, me too.
I also like cornmeal breading.
Either way is delicious....Mrs Rupert uses an egg batter with both flour and corn meal...makes a thick and delicious batter!

Never thought of it that way, but it's spot on.
You know how you can almost taste that dirt in the air just before a rain sometimes? That's what good catfish have got...just a hint!

Okra can bridge a lot of gaps....I have this friend, I worked on his many properties for years. We have some things in common, good work ethics and honesty, dependability and value over profit. In other ways we are exact opposites.....politics being an area where we have little agreement. We can.....and have..... argued for hours. Tempers flare and we are both "packing" so we tend to know when enough is enough....

What we do have in absolute common is a love for fried okra! He grows it every year and plants an extra long row just for me! When our conversations get to hot.....the safety valve word is "okra". He dropped by Mrs Rupert's office Friday and left me a big sack of fresh okra...gonna be good for dinner this Sunday night!

Regards!

Thanks Albert!
Name:  DSCF0961-800-Okra.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  366.9 KB
07-30-2017, 01:01 PM - 1 Like   #38967
Veteran Member

You know how you can almost taste that dirt in the air just before a rain sometimes? That's what good catfish have got...just a hint!
Yep, and bluegill have that just after a summer rain, clean, fresh taste.
Damn, I think Mrs Bob and I will have to head over to Ott's tavern in Millstadt, IL soon where they have great catfish, and oftentimes bluegill on the menu.
07-30-2017, 02:18 PM   #38968
Veteran Member

Either way is delicious....Mrs Rupert uses an egg batter with both flour and corn meal...makes a thick and delicious batter!

Okra can bridge a lot of gaps....I have this friend, I worked on his many properties for years. We have some things in common, good work ethics and honesty, dependability and value over profit. In other ways we are exact opposites.....politics being an area where we have little agreement. We can.....and have..... argued for hours. Tempers flare and we are both "packing" so we tend to know when enough is enough....

What we do have in absolute common is a love for fried okra! He grows it every year and plants an extra long row just for me! When our conversations get to hot.....the safety valve word is "okra". He dropped by Mrs Rupert's office Friday and left me a big sack of fresh okra...gonna be good for dinner this Sunday night!

Regards!

Thanks Albert!
Attachment 364278
or pickled okra!!...for gods sakes never ever slice them before the go into the jar...just a friendly warning

dad never breaded okra...it was fried in butter and salt and pepper
07-30-2017, 03:16 PM - 2 Likes   #38969
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Okrahoma?
07-30-2017, 03:16 PM   #38970
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter