Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108820 Likes Search this Thread
07-31-2017, 02:24 PM   #39016
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Back to our regular program.
Chicken thighs cooked on the 1999 red Weber yesterday evening.

07-31-2017, 03:40 PM - 1 Like   #39017
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Bob, blood thinner is better than stroke. I think you can trust me on this. Really.

And you made me hungry. Again. Maybe should have something to eat. But then I need another glass of Lagavulin as well.

Hey, if a man can't have a glass on a Monday, when can he?? It's the worst day of the week, it's worth celebrating that it's over

Cheers!
07-31-2017, 03:41 PM   #39018
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Thanks for the concerns everyone, much appreciated.

Not the news I wanted to hear, my heart is, and has been, out of rhythm for the past 5 days.
I start the blood thinner Pradaxa right away due to a high risk of stroke.
At least this med doesn't need frequent blood tests like the rat poison Warfarin, but it's a lot more expensive.
It remains to be seen how much Medicare and my supplemental insurance will cover of the cost.
On the plus side it's good the condition is known and precautions are being taken.
Hope you're back to fighting fit in no time flat Bob. A friend of mine is struggling with a similar speedy heartbeat thing at the moment. He's in hospital this morning for some clever treatment where they try to switch off the misfiring part of the heart and restore a normal rhythm.
07-31-2017, 04:02 PM - 1 Like   #39019
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Back to our regular program.
Chicken thighs cooked on the 1999 red Weber yesterday evening.

Do they taste different depending on which kettle you cook them in?

07-31-2017, 04:56 PM - 1 Like   #39020
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Going to see my regular heart doctor today since I had 2 prolonged a-fib episodes last week, my resting heart rate was 145.
It pains me to say this Bob, but you are gonna have to make radical changes in your diet.

No more barbecue.

No more custom smoked bacon.

No more grilled pizza.

No more McBobs.

Did I mention no more bacon?

But, you gotta decide. How many more years would you like to spend with the Lovely Mrs. Bob.

I feel your pain, I had to make similar decisions last September when my pancreas gave me the elbow in the gut. It wasn't easy either. I went through sugar withdrawals. I went through fat withdrawals.

I went through bacon withdrawals.

That sucks.

But you know, I am feeling many times better now. After 3 months as a total vegetarian, I eased back into getting protein from fish. Seafood provides a cornucopia of culinary delight, and it is good for you too.

Just avoid the whole dipping crab in butter thing though.

So little or no bread.

No dairy. Milk, butter, cottage cheese, yogurt, cream cheese, cheddar cheese, swiss cheese, any cheese. I tried the cheese substitute, it sucks. I'll do without. I found a weird kinda phony butter that isn't too bad, it passes as OK on corn or smashed taters, or the occasional whole wheat blueberry pancake.

No eggs. OK by me, I never cared for them.

I can have all the vegetable or fruit I want.

I make a killer tuna salad that has celery, red, yellow and orange bell pepper, onion, garlic, scallions, black and green olives, carrots, cucumber, chives, sesame seeds, coarse spicy brown mustard (Grey Poupon), a little mayonnaise (Hellman's), some horseradish, plain Greek yogurt (I know, I said no dairy, I lied) to offset the high fat of the mayo with slightly better fat from yogurt, 2 large tins of tuna (packed in water, not oil) and 1 tin of good salmon.

Oranges are nature's candy. Mrs. Racer gets the bags of Cuties at the market, and keeps them in the fridge. They peel easily, and 4 or 5 make a tasty and healthy snack, frosty cold out of the fridge.

Don't forget all the other fruits too. Kiwis are a nice change of pace from the daily banana or apple.

I saw a dragonfruit the other day. I think it deserves a chance, simply because of its name.

Smoothies are a great ice cream treat substitute. The frozen bags of fruit from the grocery store work perfectly. And sometimes I'll throw in fresh stuff like peaches or nectarines.

Mmmmm . . . . . . . . . . smoothies.

Take care Bob, you will get it all sorted out. The best times of life are just beginning.

A-fib was confirmed via a read out from my pacemaker by a fill in doc, my doc wasn't there, playing golf I guess.
Or enjoying that boat the pacemaker paid for.
07-31-2017, 04:58 PM - 2 Likes   #39021
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Bob, blood thinner is better than stroke. I think you can trust me on this. Really.

And you made me hungry. Again. Maybe should have something to eat. But then I need another glass of Lagavulin as well.

Hey, if a man can't have a glass on a Monday, when can he?? It's the worst day of the week, it's worth celebrating that it's over

Cheers!
I have a strict policy of not indulging until after 5pm.

07-31-2017, 05:01 PM - 4 Likes   #39022
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Yep.

The turquoise one he just sold on eBay made them taste like a '57 Chevy.

07-31-2017, 05:12 PM - 2 Likes   #39023
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Wow. Does that thing have a flux capacitor?
Most likely a rev.5. As freaking fast as this is

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 07-31-2017 at 05:31 PM.
07-31-2017, 06:15 PM   #39024
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
It pains me to say this Bob, but you are gonna have to make radical changes in your diet.

No more barbecue.

No more grilled pizza.

No more McBobs.

Did I mention no more bacon
no no no, my problem is not related to any of those foods, thankfully.
Took my first pradaxa an hour ago and now have indigestion so bad that none of them sound good though.
07-31-2017, 06:15 PM   #39025
Veteran Member

Oh hell yes!!
07-31-2017, 06:39 PM   #39026
Pentaxian

No more barbecue.

No more grilled pizza.

No more McBobs.

Did I mention no more bacon?

But, you gotta decide. How many more years would you like to spend with the Lovely Mrs. Bob.

I feel your pain, I had to make similar decisions last September when my pancreas gave me the elbow in the gut. It wasn't easy either. I went through sugar withdrawals. I went through fat withdrawals.

I went through bacon withdrawals.

That sucks.

But you know, I am feeling many times better now. After 3 months as a total vegetarian, I eased back into getting protein from fish. Seafood provides a cornucopia of culinary delight, and it is good for you too.

Just avoid the whole dipping crab in butter thing though.

So little or no bread.

No dairy. Milk, butter, cottage cheese, yogurt, cream cheese, cheddar cheese, swiss cheese, any cheese. I tried the cheese substitute, it sucks. I'll do without. I found a weird kinda phony butter that isn't too bad, it passes as OK on corn or smashed taters, or the occasional whole wheat blueberry pancake.

No eggs. OK by me, I never cared for them.

I can have all the vegetable or fruit I want.

I make a killer tuna salad that has celery, red, yellow and orange bell pepper, onion, garlic, scallions, black and green olives, carrots, cucumber, chives, sesame seeds, coarse spicy brown mustard (Grey Poupon), a little mayonnaise (Hellman's), some horseradish, plain Greek yogurt (I know, I said no dairy, I lied) to offset the high fat of the mayo with slightly better fat from yogurt, 2 large tins of tuna (packed in water, not oil) and 1 tin of good salmon.

Oranges are nature's candy. Mrs. Racer gets the bags of Cuties at the market, and keeps them in the fridge. They peel easily, and 4 or 5 make a tasty and healthy snack, frosty cold out of the fridge.

Don't forget all the other fruits too. Kiwis are a nice change of pace from the daily banana or apple.

I saw a dragonfruit the other day. I think it deserves a chance, simply because of its name.

Smoothies are a great ice cream treat substitute. The frozen bags of fruit from the grocery store work perfectly. And sometimes I'll throw in fresh stuff like peaches or nectarines.

Mmmmm . . . . . . . . . . smoothies.

Take care Bob, you will get it all sorted out. The best times of life are just beginning.

Or enjoying that boat the pacemaker paid for.
Bob, Google dragonfruit. It has some heart active stuff in it. Check it is OK for you.

BTW, I have a nasty allergy to it. Extreme diarrhea followed by ectopic heart beats for a month.
07-31-2017, 06:45 PM   #39027
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

BTW, I have a nasty allergy to it. Extreme diarrhea followed by ectopic heart beats for a month.
Gee.

That sounds like fun.
07-31-2017, 09:37 PM   #39028
Pentaxian

Gee.

That sounds like fun.
So much fun I do not eat it any more. That was with a cube the size of my thumbnail. Avoid fruit in places where it might even have been in contact on a platter.
08-01-2017, 12:27 AM - 3 Likes   #39029
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for the concerns everyone, much appreciated.

Not the news I wanted to hear, my heart is, and has been, out of rhythm for the past 5 days.
I start the blood thinner Pradaxa right away due to a high risk of stroke.
At least this med doesn't need frequent blood tests like the rat poison Warfarin, but it's a lot more expensive.
It remains to be seen how much Medicare and my supplemental insurance will cover of the cost.
On the plus side it's good the condition is known and precautions are being taken.
Yeah, hang in there, Bob.

I had a year where I got persistent atrial fibrillation four times. Drugs couldn't get me out of it, the only way was for a cardio to stop my heart with a defibrillator, then a second shock to start it up again. Bit like rebooting your computer.

I guess they told you the upper two chambers of the heart aren't really necessary ... they're effectively superchargers for the bottom two. The Pradaxa stops clots forming up there though where the blood's not really circulating like normal. I was on a similar product for that year, at I think $20 a month with our Govt health insurance.

It was all fixed when Medicare approved a laser to cut extra wires I had to those chambers, which every now and again would act as a feedback loop. I'll never complain about our public health system, whatever its queues and delays, or the taxes that maintain it.

Didn't pay a cent for the two cardios, anaesthetist, technician, nurses and overnight stay. And if it had been life-threatening, they would have done it straight away, no waiting.
08-01-2017, 01:15 AM   #39030
Pentaxian

Clackers, it is good.

Seems to work better than NHS, which I recall was part of the inspiration.