Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-11-2017, 01:40 PM - 1 Like   #39286
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
"Excuse me, I need to give birth to a Donald."
my little Lithuanian friend had a marvelous accent and he was a generally cheerful and engaging man
however...if someone irked him...with a malicious twinkle in his eye would say..."i'm going in there and make a little _______"
just insert the offender's name in the appropriate space

---------- Post added 08-11-17 at 01:54 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
These are the only blackeyed peas I've ever heard of until now....
they are served all over the southern US

they taste much differently than most beans and peas

my dad was from Georgia (the state) and we ate food that only black folks ate in the north

I remember we had a neighbor kid over for a Saturday lunch
black-eyed peas, ham hocks, greens (collard or mustard) with more hocks and cornbread or hoe cakes (crepes sauvage, corn cakes, johnnycakes)
he sat down and looked at the food on the table and uttered these famous last words..."what is this crap?!?!"

he came from a family that ate meat (usually beef or game) and spuds...period

08-11-2017, 02:46 PM   #39287
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ccc_ Quote
"what is this crap?!?!"
Some of the best eating on earth, that's what it is! Anyone fortunate enough to have eaten here knows exactly what I mean! Be sure to look at all the pictures!
Two Sister's Kitchen, Jackson - Menu, Prices & Restaurant Reviews - TripAdvisor

Soul food is down to earth earthy.......and a delight if you can find authentic soul food........cooked by a big fat Black woman with a smile a mile wide!

Regards!
08-11-2017, 07:39 PM   #39288
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I enjoy talking about what goes in...while these degenerates are more interested in what comes out...disgusting!
What goes in, must come out.

Otherwise we would swell up and pop like a zit or something.

Just sayin'.
08-11-2017, 07:52 PM   #39289
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

All this potty talk . . . . . . . . . .

. . . . . . . . . be right back . . . . . . . . . .

08-11-2017, 07:53 PM - 1 Like   #39290
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Amongst the carnage were several MG cars and an E-type.
*sniff*
08-11-2017, 08:02 PM - 2 Likes   #39291
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

All this potty talk . . . . . . . . . .

. . . . . . . . . be right back . . . . . . . . . .
Substantially lighter? Not that I'l implying that you're full of something.
08-11-2017, 10:51 PM   #39292
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ccc_ Quote
my little Lithuanian friend had a marvelous accent and he was a generally cheerful and engaging man
however...if someone irked him...with a malicious twinkle in his eye would say..."i'm going in there and make a little _______"
just insert the offender's name in the appropriate space

---------- Post added 08-11-17 at 01:54 PM ----------

they are served all over the southern US

they taste much differently than most beans and peas

my dad was from Georgia (the state) and we ate food that only black folks ate in the north

I remember we had a neighbor kid over for a Saturday lunch
black-eyed peas, ham hocks, greens (collard or mustard) with more hocks and cornbread or hoe cakes (crepes sauvage, corn cakes, johnnycakes)
he sat down and looked at the food on the table and uttered these famous last words..."what is this crap?!?!"

he came from a family that ate meat (usually beef or game) and spuds...period
Is the background to that:
In Georgia the better-off ate that food, so the black population there aspired to eat it.
When the black people went north they had the opportunity and chose to eat what they associated with a higher position in society.
But in the north that was looked down upon by those who were a bit higher up the socio-economic ladder.
The friend came from the higher rung background and brought his associations of that food.

I ask the question because I am curious about a possible explanatory chain. (I mean nothing offensive.)

08-11-2017, 10:55 PM   #39293
Pentaxian

Some of the best eating on earth, that's what it is! Anyone fortunate enough to have eaten here knows exactly what I mean! Be sure to look at all the pictures!
Two Sister's Kitchen, Jackson - Menu, Prices & Restaurant Reviews - TripAdvisor

Soul food is down to earth earthy.......and a delight if you can find authentic soul food........cooked by a big fat Black woman with a smile a mile wide!

Regards!
Rupert, you remind me of when I was young enough that Ronald Reagan was getting his first inauguration done, I was living in a mining town in the single quarters. In the dining room, run by a contractor, there were several food serving staff. You always hoped NOT to get the fat one. She seemed to think everyone else was on a diet and would give minimalist measures.
08-11-2017, 10:59 PM - 1 Like   #39294
Pentaxian

What goes in, must come out.

Otherwise we would swell up and pop like a zit or something.

Just sayin'.
I have had a couple of friends who had events where what went in did not come out, and accumulated inside. Not for long, and then they had a medical emergency. They had some kind of muscle spasms resulting in knotting the internal tubing. One was treated medically, the other surgically, with life long effects.
08-12-2017, 12:51 AM   #39295
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
I have had a couple of friends who had events where what went in did not come out, and accumulated inside. Not for long, and then they had a medical emergency. They had some kind of muscle spasms resulting in knotting the internal tubing. One was treated medically, the other surgically, with life long effects.
A co-worker died from something similar. Intestine became kinked, flow ceased, it ruptured, the abdominal cavity went septic, and he died before they could save him.
08-12-2017, 08:36 AM - 1 Like   #39296
Veteran Member

This potty topic just won't go away, eh?

Well I'm here to talk about what goes in the top end.
Today's planned cook is grilled/smoked meatloaf using "Kobe style" Waygu ground beef from Aldi with Hatch chile sauce from New Mexico added in the mix.
Tomorrow it will be pulled pork, and fresh corn on the bone.
Monday's fare is still up in the air.
08-12-2017, 08:55 AM - 2 Likes   #39297
Pentaxian

Crock pot roast beast with a jar of pepperoncini slices, simmer all day, pull apart to make nice spicy sammiches this afternoon... yumm
08-12-2017, 09:17 AM - 1 Like   #39298
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
s the background to that:
In Georgia the better-off ate that food, so the black population there aspired to eat it.
When the black people went north they had the opportunity and chose to eat what they associated with a higher position in society.
But in the north that was looked down upon by those who were a bit higher up the socio-economic ladder.
The friend came from the higher rung background and brought his associations of that food.

I ask the question because I am curious about a possible explanatory chain. (I mean nothing offensive.)
I've never heard that, but it is somewhat logical. I would think that the "Black population" (i.e.- slaves) aspired to eat great tasting food more than they aspired to eat something to gain status? After all, really good food attracts almost everyone.

I'm old, have two broken feet, pneumonia, and one lung full of fluid. And.....I feel like the outgoing product some of you have been so interested in the past few pages. So indulge me a few moments for my Soul Food Story.......Hell, you're not doing anything serious anyhow or you wouldn't be here!

Our Soul Food Trip

Back in the summer of 2012 I was surfing the net and came across an article on the nations best fried chicken. One of the top ranked places was in Jackson Miss. and it sounded like they had more than just superb fried chicken in several southern styles. Sounded good to Mrs Rupert so she took a few days vacation and off we went. I had a friend from the Flickr Pentax Forum that lived in Jackson, so I contacted her and asked her to eat lunch with us and then spend some time later talking camera talk...which we did at a local coffee house.

Mrs Rupert did most of the picture taking with her Toy Camera X10. Here we are just leaving out heading to Jackson and passing through downtown Dallas.

The Two Sisters is an old two story frame house that sits in downtown Jackson directly in the shadow of the Supreme Court Bldg. Nothing fancy about it....
(Me and my Pentax friend Dana...was so nice to meet her!)

It was noon and packed inside, but being buffet style it all went fast!

Lots of soul food...Noting from a can or box...all fresh daily.

Mrs Rupert & Dana ready to eat...you can go back for more of anything...it is "All You Can Eat!"

We had a fat White redhead waitress, and she was one of the best two waiters/ waitresses I have ever been served by anywhere. A personality as charismatic as is humanly possible and a burning desire to make your meal the most pleasant ever. When it came time for dessert I asked what kind? They had 4-5 kinds....so hard to choose. She said...."not a problem , you can have them all if you like!" I got the Bourbon Bread pudding and it was wonderful...and so much of it I could not try anything else! She wanted to someday have her own restaurant.......my bet is she has it by now somewhere and business is booming!

You may go a lifetime with no better waitress than this young lady.....

Was the best soul food I have ever eaten and well worth the trip. We continued south and ate at some very fine seafood places on the coast.....
Our Short Vacation | Flickr

Fun little trip. It is always exciting to sample food from different cultures and different parts of the world. I like most everything and am not too picky. Mrs Rupert.....very picky but still willing to try different tastes. She did love the soul food...being from Florida she was used to it.

That's my Rupert Story for a while.....I'm all out of breath now!

BTW-The bill for the three of us, including drinks and desserts? $27.47 I left a bigger tip than that! I figured it would be at least twice that much...so much food and such superb service!

Regards!
08-12-2017, 09:28 AM - 1 Like   #39299
Veteran Member

Hell, you're not doing anything serious anyhow or you wouldn't be here!
Busted!

Nice Rupert story and pictorial James.
08-12-2017, 09:38 AM - 3 Likes   #39300
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
Crock pot roast beast with a jar of pepperoncini slices, simmer all day, pull apart to make nice spicy sammiches this afternoon... yumm
I can eat most peppers, but for some reason pepperoncinis don't agree with me.
I tried the Mississippi pot roast recipe once, but used onions on top instead of pepperoncinis.
Mississippi Roast - Slow Cooker Pepperoncini Pot Roast Recipe - Allrecipes.com

It tasted really good, but not better than my normal crockpot method.