Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108794 Likes Search this Thread
08-12-2017, 03:49 PM - 2 Likes   #39316
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
I was thinking that the poor person, looking at the rich person's food, thinks it is better, and thus aspires to eat it. Not the change of status resulting from changing the food.
Reckon that's how some came about craving lutefish? Might be better to just stay poor?

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I told him he needed to change his diet. At our age we need to shift to a diet high in fiber, and find the protein in other foods, not red meat.
I want my golden years to be as enjoyable as possible, and sitting in doctor's offices getting lectured about my weight and health isn't on the list of things I have planned.

Bob is happy now.....he's not waiting to reach some stage of "Golden Years" to be happy. As long as he can eat what he wants and be happy then he is doing what he should be doing....living today, not somewhere down the road.

Not bad advice at any age...I started practicing it around 2-3 years of age and have few regrets.

We do sometimes reach a point where we have to change our ways...but wait until the last minute!

Regards!

08-12-2017, 03:50 PM - 2 Likes   #39317
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Better than letting it do your thinking, don't you think?
Easier said than done, I'm tellin ya.
08-12-2017, 05:04 PM - 1 Like   #39318
Pentaxian

Jim,
Here's a recipe you might like:
Pepper Stout Beef
That does look mighty tasty!
08-12-2017, 06:18 PM - 1 Like   #39319
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Bob is happy now.....he's not waiting to reach some stage of "Golden Years" to be happy. As long as he can eat what he wants and be happy then he is doing what he should be doing....living today, not somewhere down the road.
Ab-so-lutefiskly!

08-12-2017, 07:29 PM - 1 Like   #39320
Veteran Member

I can eat most peppers, but for some reason pepperoncinis don't agree with me.
I tried the Mississippi pot roast recipe once, but used onions on top instead of pepperoncinis.
Mississippi Roast - Slow Cooker Pepperoncini Pot Roast Recipe - Allrecipes.com

It tasted really good, but not better than my normal crockpot method.
if you intend to skip the pepperoncinis try a handful of whole black peppercorns instead
I use wine or beer as the liquid, onions, mushrooms and peppercorns as the flavor enhancers
the peppercorns soften and give your taste buds a rush as you eat
08-12-2017, 11:21 PM   #39321
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Back to the different foods. Interesting how some foods started out as foods of desperation, in times of hardship, but now are re-worked with creative recipes to be quite desirable foods. One Chinese example of tis is eating sweet potato leaves boiled in rice. (Not Sir Walter Raleigh potatoes - their leaves are dangerous.) I guess many of the exotic animals in their diet began their culinary history the same way.

In Europe John Calvin, in his Institutes of the Christian Religion, in a list of alleged abuses in the church, I think in Book 4, referred to the problem of 'fasts', where the people were not to eat meat, leading to the eating of exotic seafoods and caviar because they were not on the list of fast excluded items. He argued they said they were fasting but actually ate better than on normal days. Following many fasts there was a 'feast', where the tradition was often to eat the 'richer' food of the day. But look now at many of the traditional foods, say for Christmas. Now, with economic development, many of us can afford to eat them as often as we like, and the producing industries encourage that to keep the supply chain sustainable. Actually reduces the experience of the special event because the food is not so distinctive, to be looked forward to.
08-13-2017, 03:28 AM   #39322
Veteran Member

Back to the different foods. Interesting how some foods started out as foods of desperation, in times of hardship, but now are re-worked with creative recipes to be quite desirable foods. One Chinese example of tis is eating sweet potato leaves boiled in rice. (Not Sir Walter Raleigh potatoes - their leaves are dangerous.) I guess many of the exotic animals in their diet began their culinary history the same way.

In Europe John Calvin, in his Institutes of the Christian Religion, in a list of alleged abuses in the church, I think in Book 4, referred to the problem of 'fasts', where the people were not to eat meat, leading to the eating of exotic seafoods and caviar because they were not on the list of fast excluded items. He argued they said they were fasting but actually ate better than on normal days. Following many fasts there was a 'feast', where the tradition was often to eat the 'richer' food of the day. But look now at many of the traditional foods, say for Christmas. Now, with economic development, many of us can afford to eat them as often as we like, and the producing industries encourage that to keep the supply chain sustainable. Actually reduces the experience of the special event because the food is not so distinctive, to be looked forward to.

dietary laws and customs have as many rationales as the customs themselves...some benign, some sinister

as to the "special"...if special becomes commonplace a more exotic product will be created to fill the void
note the posts above..kobe and wagyu ground meat or charging twice the price for grass fed while the producers save money by not graining the cow before slaughter
most people wouldn't or couldn't tell the difference unless it was pointed out to them

so called globalization has made it possible for invasive species and diseases to spread all around the world
but i'm eating an apple from new Zealand right now and have some from chile in the fridge
when I was young we would just be getting apples from the northwest and be a month away from our local varieties
apples were a treat in the autumn and winter now they are a treat year-round

this book touches on the whys and whats we eat...https://www.amazon.com/Food-History-Reay-Tannahill/dp/0517884046?tag=pentaxforums-20&

people will eat anything...some of it kills them some doesn't

a fascinating book...https://www.amazon.com/Survival-Psychology-J-Leach/dp/0333518551...can?tag=pentaxforums-20& provide some insight into the why of these behaviors
it is much cheaper now than when I found it years ago

08-13-2017, 07:02 AM - 2 Likes   #39323
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Actually reduces the experience of the special event because the food is not so distinctive, to be looked forward to.
I've heard that when my Great Granny cooked possum people often invited themselves over for dinner, it was said to be most delicious. Her possum gravy was said to have a flavor like no other gravy on earth. As a kid I ate possum once or twice....150 years ago it was fairly common food in many parts of the country. My Great Grandparents were ranchers and had a large ranch not far from where I live today.They were never hungry, they had plenty of meat and grew their own crops too. Possum was not a trash food...it was a delicacy. I don't recall much about eating it, except that it was a little "greasy" but with very good flavor, much like a pork roast.
My bet is that Bob could grill up some mighty delicious possum! I know they ate possum in Missouri too....my ancestors came to Texas from Missouri in the 1860s. Heck, they probably brought some Missouri possums with them?

Regards!

Update on my latest situation. Got that oxygen generator on Friday and didn't think it would make much difference, but for the past two nights I have slept solid with no struggle to breathe and no build up of congestion or long spells of hacking in the middle of the night. It has made a big difference. I am hoping that when my left lung is drained on Tuesday I will be even better.....and if they can clear the pneumonia maybe I will start to get back to at least half normal? Just being able to sleep all night is a real treat.....it has been a while since I could.

Last edited by Rupert; 08-13-2017 at 07:12 AM.
08-13-2017, 07:13 AM - 3 Likes   #39324
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm sorry, no time to follow your dietary musings. I'm too busy reading the K-1 manual after I somehow managed to buy one of the blasted things. I still know with certainty that the K-... umm, a crop camera fits my needs better. But what can one do - it's ordered and paid for, so my hands are tied, right?
08-13-2017, 08:39 AM - 1 Like   #39325
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I'm too busy reading the K-1 manual after I somehow managed to buy one of the blasted things. I still know with certainty that the K-... umm, a crop camera fits my needs better. But what can one do - it's ordered and paid for, so my hands are tied, right?
So you came to this no photography talk allowed thread for sympathy?
Good luck with that!
Seriously, congrats on your new toy.
08-13-2017, 08:43 AM - 1 Like   #39326
Veteran Member

I'm sorry, no time to follow your dietary musings. I'm too busy reading the K-1 manual after I somehow managed to buy one of the blasted things. I still know with certainty that the K-... umm, a crop camera fits my needs better. But what can one do - it's ordered and paid for, so my hands are tied, right?
not cropped...differently sized...courtesy of an old man at the camera store (apparently a bone that stuck in his craw)

enjoy your new toy
08-13-2017, 08:51 AM - 1 Like   #39327
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

So you came to this no photography talk allowed thread for sympathy?
Good luck with that!
Seriously, congrats on your new toy.
My apologies, I'll do my hail bacons later tonight!

Oh, and that's why I won't buy a K-3!

At least not another one

QuoteOriginally posted by ccc_ Quote
not cropped...differently sized...courtesy of an old man at the camera store (apparently a bone that stuck in his craw)

enjoy your new toy
Indeed. I never understood the "full frame" talk. It's just the most common size of images for small format cameras.

Had I any sense I'd still stick to half frame, though

And thanks, I think I will enjoy it!

Say "cheese"!
08-13-2017, 09:26 AM - 1 Like   #39328
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
That's OK, we forgive you.

And you can still hang out here.

Just be ready.
08-13-2017, 10:43 AM - 1 Like   #39329
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

That's OK, we forgive you.

And you can still hang out here.

Just be ready.
Oh, I'll be ready.

For anything.

As soon as I get my hands on a 645Z.

Problem is.

That thing is so big and heavy I probably won't get away with it.
08-13-2017, 01:31 PM   #39330
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Update on my latest situation. Got that oxygen generator on Friday and didn't think it would make much difference, but for the past two nights I have slept solid with no struggle to breathe and no build up of congestion or long spells of hacking in the middle of the night. It has made a big difference. I am hoping that when my left lung is drained on Tuesday I will be even better.....and if they can clear the pneumonia maybe I will start to get back to at least half normal? Just being able to sleep all night is a real treat.....it has been a while since I could.
Will be thinking of you on Tuesday Rupert and hope you'll on the mend very quickly after the procedure.
« AF1 vs AF2 | - »