Show Printable Version 108819 Likes Search this Thread
08-17-2017, 07:26 AM - 1 Like   #39436
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
in the "last" bunch we have a very small male who showed up unattended

he is very aggressive
unlike most of the other youngsters
he skulks in but dominates whichever feeder he wants

so far the only things that have backed him off is an older male and of all things a female hummingbird...she stabbed him square in the noggin a couple of times before he gave up

08-17-2017, 08:18 AM - 1 Like   #39437
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ccc_ Quote
he is very aggressive
unlike most of the other youngsters
he skulks in but dominates whichever feeder he wants
I think some of them have the "Otis gene"? Shot these a few minutes ago.....the Jumper is hard at it this morning, jumping like crazy and chasing birds off the cedar fence.

He's a happy little guy!

But he does have a serious side!

Fun little critters, they know how to live and play to the fullest extent!

Regards!
08-17-2017, 08:58 AM   #39438
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Addicted to codeine or dead from hacking....take your pick...not hard for me!
Can hardly disagree with you there. Of course, one thing is the addiction. The worse part, for chronic conditions, is that the effect wears off over time so you need to up the dosage. Until you get too much and just get ill from it. Then, if you want it to have an effect on you again you have to stop taking it completely for quite a while. And that is pure hell. My uncle went through that over and over for years as it was the only thing that could dull the pains somewhat.

Great to hear that the stuff works for you anyway
08-17-2017, 09:24 AM - 1 Like   #39439
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Can hardly disagree with you there. Of course, one thing is the addiction. The worse part, for chronic conditions, is that the effect wears off over time so you need to up the dosage. Until you get too much and just get ill from it. Then, if you want it to have an effect on you again you have to stop taking it completely for quite a while. And that is pure hell. My uncle went through that over and over for years as it was the only thing that could dull the pains somewhat.

pain, especially chronic pain is hell to live with or manage

our youngest son had debilitating migraines
because of his age the doctor was reluctant to prescribe most medicines

one of the local universities was running a trial of pain relief methods
he ended up in a group using biofeedback
it worked

subsequently the study expanded to explore the causes
in his case they found that certain food preservatives (particularly those used in meat products) triggered his headaches
we radically changed our diet to accommodate his needs
that reduced the frequency and intensity of his attacks

funny thing is as an adult he sustained an injury that resulted in long term pain
he used the techniques he mastered as a child to mitigate his pain
it still worked

Last edited by ccc_; 08-17-2017 at 12:10 PM.
08-17-2017, 10:17 AM - 1 Like   #39440
Pentaxian

I have pretty severe tinnitus, plus nerve damage and scar tissue that gives me pain in the right hand. (which sucks bigtime when you're right handed and a computer-jockey for 30+ years...). I find that meditation helps me somewhat, at least enough to continue doing it. And meditation is nothing more than an ancient form of biofeedback
08-17-2017, 12:07 PM   #39441
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Yes, that is why I am taking it. I am not the least prone to get addicted. I have bottles full of several opioid pain killers ( remember the broken feet?) and never touch them......if needed, I would , but what I seek is temporary relief....not pleasure. The codeine is keeping me pain free when I cough while the expectorant clears my congestion....exactly as prescribed.

Now if I could get a 55 gallon drum of that codeine......we might have a different story.....and Bob might spend a lot of time here grilling in the smoky surroundings.....cough free!

When I was recovering and coughing wickedly, the recovery nurse gave me a shot of morphine........Yep.......I could certainly "get used" to that feeling. However, when you are coughing your lungs out, the relief is top priority and not the heavenly feeling of utopia....though that ain't half bad!

Regards!

---------- Post added 08-17-17 at 02:10 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
I have pretty severe tinnitus
That sounds awful..is there any relief from it or is it everlasting? I got a fly in my ear canal once and I swear, it drove me insane and was unbearable. What a relief when it died and I got it out!
08-17-2017, 03:03 PM   #39442
Pentaxian

That sounds awful..is there any relief from it or is it everlasting? I got a fly in my ear canal once and I swear, it drove me insane and was unbearable. What a relief when it died and I got it out!
Oh, it's 24/7 unfortunately. High-pitched whistle like a hearing test tone. It's in both ears, worse in the left one. I don't think the level actually changes, but I *notice* it more when I am stressed out or get dehydrated. The only thing that has helped at all is a sound-based method that claims to retrain your brain. "Brainwave Optimization", which is essentially a form of unconscious biofeedback. Sounds very woo-woo, but it did effectively reduce the volume in the right ear down to MUCH lower levels. Didn't do a thing for the left side unfortunately, so... I live with it.

08-17-2017, 03:04 PM   #39443
Veteran Member

I have pretty severe tinnitus
That sounds awful
I've had it for years, in both ears, even the one that went totally deaf in 1993, and never had any relief.
It can drive you crazy if you let it, just gotta keep your mind off the sounds.
08-17-2017, 03:06 PM - 1 Like   #39444
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
I've had it for years, in both ears, even the one that went totally deaf in 1993, and never had any relief.
Yup. Sometimes you can do that, sometimes you can't. Good days, bad days.
08-17-2017, 03:09 PM - 1 Like   #39445
Veteran Member

Picked up some Rupert recommended Butt Paste today, haven't used it yet.
My blood thinner Pradaxa must be made from hot peppers.............nuff said.
08-17-2017, 03:11 PM - 1 Like   #39446
Veteran Member

Let's get back to talkin' BACON!
08-17-2017, 03:29 PM   #39447
Veteran Member

Picked up some Rupert recommended Butt Paste today, haven't used it yet.
My blood thinner Pradaxa must be made from hot peppers.............nuff said.
Worked for me.....nuff said again.
08-17-2017, 04:39 PM   #39448
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Yeah, I heard a GP claiming the other day that less than half of the opiate deaths in Australia are due to heroin. Most are the legal pain killers for chronic rather than acute pain. They can act on the brain stem and slow ... even stop ... your breathing commands.

The numbers of deaths in some US states like West Virginia have been called an epidemic ... middle aged to elderly people requiring strong medication after a working life of manual labour.
Weeding out the weak from the gene pool.
08-17-2017, 04:46 PM   #39449
Veteran Member

Oh, it's 24/7 unfortunately. High-pitched whistle like a hearing test tone. It's in both ears, worse in the left one. I don't think the level actually changes, but I *notice* it more when I am stressed out or get dehydrated. The only thing that has helped at all is a sound-based method that claims to retrain your brain. "Brainwave Optimization", which is essentially a form of unconscious biofeedback. Sounds very woo-woo, but it did effectively reduce the volume in the right ear down to MUCH lower levels. Didn't do a thing for the left side unfortunately, so... I live with it.
You guys have my sincere sympathy, that must be really tough. I think of the time I had that fly and almost went nuts. We break down, we fall apart, we wear out. We are always saying..."It could be worse"...and it could, but that is not much comfort in reality.
08-17-2017, 04:47 PM   #39450
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not having the best day. My aunt died yesterday and I had to break the news to my mom. She's not taken it well although it's been expected and my aunt had been bedridden for many months.

On top of that, I I took our one dog, Sharky, to the vet yesterday as he is limping and after x-rays they told me he has bone cancer and has (at most) months to live, providing we can manage his pain. If not, we'll have to have him put down but, either way, it's only a matter of time. Vet says this type of cancer is aggressive and usually spreads to the lungs and then it's all over pretty quickly.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo