by nature they don't show much but you'll know

you have my sympathy

08-17-2017, 05:01 PM - 1 Like   #39452
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Addicted to codeine or dead from hacking....take your pick...not hard for me!
It is only defined as addiction if a person endures severe consequences to get the drug. Like a heroin addict stealing from friends and family to get another fix, or serves jail time for committing robbery to get money for a fix.

It is dependence when you take it long enough that your body gets used to taking it, and suddenly stopping would lead to withdrawal. As long as the pain is genuine, and you only take for the pain, you are not an addict, but you do depend on the drug to make life more livable.

I was dependent on Oxycontin to treat chronic neck and back pain for nearly 20 years. I rarely, if ever, felt a 'high' from the drug, and it did a fantastic job of making daily life livable.

But in the last few years I depended on it, the stigma that went with trying to fill the prescriptions, the monthly visits to the doctor to get another prescription written (I like my doctor, but it was getting old making the monthly visit to his office for a slip of paper), and the continuing decay of attitudes toward chronic pain paitients overall started to bug me.

Then after all the years of using it without any of the bad side effects, the constipation started to become an issue. Adding more fiber to my diet didn't help, and over the counter softeners were unpredictable. The doctor wanted to write me a prescription for it, and that is when I decided it was time to find a different way to deal with the pain. I told him there was no way I was going to start taking a drug to counteract the side effects of another, and he needed to send me to a physiatrist (a doc that specializes with dependence and addiction).

This coming Christmas marks 2 years that I have been done with dependence on narcotics to treat chronic pain.

I have been exercising more, losing weight, and eating better. I eat foods that are know to have anti inflammatory benefit in our diet, the weight loss has helped reduce the load on my worn out spine and joints and the improved fitness is helping the muscles to provide better support and flexibility.

I also learned self hypnosis some years back. It is not a panacea, but it helps. Another tool in my box to make living tolerable.

My birthday is coming up, marking my 61st year. I feel better today than I did 10 years ago, and when people find out my age they are surprised, and many take me for 51.

4 years.

1 week.

4 days.

I'll make it, and feel better than ever when I do.

Last edited by Racer X 69; 08-17-2017 at 05:23 PM.
08-17-2017, 05:05 PM   #39453
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Condolences Mark on the passing of your aunt, and I'm very sorry to hear about Sharky's cancer.
He's beautiful, and I know he's had the best life possible in your care.
Wishing the best for you and your family.
08-17-2017, 05:09 PM   #39454
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ccc_ Quote
that's how we lost both of our sighthounds

by nature they don't show much but you'll know

you have my sympathy
Thank you.

08-17-2017, 05:10 PM   #39455
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Condolences Mark on the passing of your aunt, and I'm very sorry to hear about Sharky's cancer.
He's beautiful, and I know he's had the best life possible in your care.
Wishing the best for you and your family.
Thank you Bob.
08-17-2017, 05:20 PM   #39456
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Not having the best day. My aunt died yesterday and I had to break the news to my mom. She's not taken it well although it's been expected and my aunt had been bedridden for many months.
Sad news Mark, condolences.

On top of that, I I took our one dog, Sharky, to the vet yesterday as he is limping and after x-rays they told me he has bone cancer and has (at most) months to live, providing we can manage his pain. If not, we'll have to have him put down but, either way, it's only a matter of time. Vet says this type of cancer is aggressive and usually spreads to the lungs and then it's all over pretty quickly.

This makes me cry.

Dogs are the best companions, and when they get these things and their last days are suffering it is heartbreaking. The last days of Zoe's life were awful for me, and it was very difficult to take. Even now, about 10 years later, it still chokes me up to think about her last moments.

I gotta go now.
08-17-2017, 05:20 PM   #39457
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

providing we can manage his pain.
That sucks, Mark. Losing a family member is horrible but please don't let him suffer.
Fortunately the law allows for that with pets. In most jurisdictions the law isn't as merciful with regard to humans.

08-17-2017, 05:26 PM   #39458
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Sad news Mark, condolences.

This makes me cry.

Dogs are the best companions, and when they get these things and their last days are suffering it is heartbreaking. The last days of Zoe's life were awful for me, and it was very difficult to take. Even now, about 10 years later, it still chokes me up to think about her last moments.

I gotta go now.
Thanks Mate.
08-17-2017, 05:29 PM   #39459
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
That sucks, Mark. Losing a family member is horrible but please don't let him suffer.
Fortunately the law allows for that with pets. In most jurisdictions the law isn't as merciful with regard to humans.
It sure does Jim.
I'm hoping we can manage his pain until my daughter comes home in a few weeks and then we'll decide together what next. He seems comfortable today, so we'll have to see how it goes.
08-17-2017, 06:26 PM - 3 Likes   #39460
Pentaxian

Not having the best day. My aunt died yesterday and I had to break the news to my mom. She's not taken it well although it's been expected and my aunt had been bedridden for many months.

On top of that, I I took our one dog, Sharky, to the vet yesterday as he is limping and after x-rays they told me he has bone cancer and has (at most) months to live, providing we can manage his pain. If not, we'll have to have him put down but, either way, it's only a matter of time. Vet says this type of cancer is aggressive and usually spreads to the lungs and then it's all over pretty quickly.
I feel your pain. Six years ago, my feline buddy Magic, a "tortie", started having digestive issues, which lead to several months in which the vet tried one thing after another. Every list ended " or possibly lymphoma". Our younger daughter was also very close to Magic, because she had been through some mental health issues, and she attributed Magic's affection for keeping her going, so our daughter came home for Fall Break. Next-to-last day of the break was Sunday, and Sunday afternoon Magic suddenly took a terrible turn for the worst, and we understood this was lymphoma; we talked about taking her to the vet the next day for a graceful end to this thing, but I doubted she would last that long. Our daughter and I took turns cuddling Magic all afternoon and evening, and when bedtime approached our daughter did some research on mammalian death, then made a pad of towels on her bed for Magic. At 2:30 am she came into our room to tell us that Magic had died at 2:23 am, saying "She was there for me when I needed it, so of course I was going to be there for her."

My keyboard got wet while I was typing that. It isn't easy, but that is what gives value to "animal companions". You have my sympathy and my prayers.

postscript: a month after Magic died we went to the cat pound, where I was adopted by a totally black cat we named Leila. She cuddles with me every night and often during the day - more affection than even Magic provided.

Last edited by reh321; 08-17-2017 at 07:07 PM. Reason: postscript
08-17-2017, 06:50 PM   #39461
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you for your post. Yes, they burrow into our hearts. And funny - I've never been a dog person, always a cat person but this is the first dog I've ever liked.
08-17-2017, 08:15 PM   #39462
Veteran Member

....I've never been a dog person, always a cat person but this is the first dog I've ever liked...
as I mentioned we've lived with a great number of breeds
the sighthounds have a more restrained, maybe feline manner
not a deficit of affection or a coolness towards their people
more a considered and conscious attachment

perhaps like a spaniel without all the wiggling
08-17-2017, 09:36 PM   #39463
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Not having the best day.
Yeah, you're having a rough time. Hope your mum's okay.

Noelpolar also had a beloved pet deteriorate and pass away, and also honoured him with a beach shot as you've done with Sparky.

Take care.
08-17-2017, 09:44 PM   #39464
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks Clackers.
08-17-2017, 09:56 PM   #39465
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Condolences Mark
So sad!