Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108796 Likes Search this Thread
09-04-2017, 01:39 PM   #40171
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I haven't posted a video in a while... last time was three days and 225 posts ago.
Do it and you can kiss my bribe of The Best Friggin' Jerky in the Whole Wide World goodbye.

09-04-2017, 01:46 PM - 2 Likes   #40172
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ccc_ Quote
I started reading (devouring) scifi, fantasy and historical fiction when I was eight or nine which led to biographies and accounts of "real" warriors and backwoodsmen
If you haven't seen the Matt Damon film or read the book, 'The Martian' is pretty entertaining. Robinson Crusoe on the Red Planet.

09-04-2017, 02:13 PM   #40173
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A long boring Labor day here. Mrs Rupert has relaxed and enjoyed...good for her, she deserves it. For me just another day looking outside but staying inside. Going to try to go out to eat in a couple of hours.....something simple....Long John Silvers or Taco Bell? Junk food calls.....and I answer!

So did anyone here have anything spectacular today? I might have tried to grill some burgers.....but it hit 96F and 75% humidity this afternoon......My oxygen cord won't reach that far out on my deck......and fire and oxygen don't do well together. Had a 2nd cousin that they found burned up ......he had lung cancer and was smoking while on oxygen.....at least he went fast.

Regards!
09-04-2017, 02:30 PM - 2 Likes   #40174
Veteran Member

Yep, when you're retired it's just another Monday.
Today I smoked some thighs for pulled chicken, took the seasoned skins off and put them back on to get really crisp.
Nice snackin' on chicken cracklins, a bit salty/spicy, but nothing a cold beer won't cure.

09-04-2017, 02:48 PM   #40175
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Nice snackin' on chicken cracklins, a bit salty/spicy, but nothing a cold beer won't cure.
Spicy I like..salty, not so much. Everything seems too salty nowadays......my only real complaint about Aldis......lots of their brands are sodium loaded. A little salt goes a long way with me.......and a lot of pepper......red pepper is my fav.

Do they sell goat at your place? Ever grill any goat? Here we have a lot of Mexicans in certain areas and goat can be found at some meat markets. Really great meat! I've tried to get the Butcherman to do some in his smoker.....but possum and raccoon seem to be where he draws the line.

Regards!
09-04-2017, 03:12 PM - 3 Likes   #40176
Pentaxian

Need I remind the Americans, they were going to go metric Pierre Trudeau our PM of the day, father of our current PM decided to get the jump on them and go metric first. Then they chickened out. The impertinent Bert 's attitude is a direct result of American intransigence. His rubbing it in your face is a result of Americans not keeping their word. It's all your fault.

I will continue to remind you of this every time metric is derided. Your lack of understanding of the metric system is all about your intrinsic untrustworthiness.

Mind you, having gone through the metric revolution myself, I still do my hieght in feet and inches and my weight in pounds. I blame it on living my first 10 years in the U,S, of A, But I can do the temperature in metric and distance in km... so I'm half way there, after 40 years.

If I live to 107 I should be fully metric by then.

Last edited by normhead; 09-04-2017 at 03:23 PM.
09-04-2017, 03:25 PM   #40177
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I just think of all the poor school kids who have to figure out how to add four and five eights to one and three sixteenths.
But yes, I'm 6'2" except when I'm 1.88m tall.

09-04-2017, 03:57 PM - 1 Like   #40178
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Metric, 161 pounds in kilos sounds better.
09-04-2017, 04:01 PM - 3 Likes   #40179
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Need I remind the Americans, they were going to go metric Pierre Trudeau our PM of the day, father of our current PM decided to get the jump on them and go metric first. Then they chickened out. The impertinent Bert 's attitude is a direct result of American intransigence. His rubbing it in your face is a result of Americans not keeping their word. It's all your fault.

I will continue to remind you of this every time metric is derided. Your lack of understanding of the metric system is all about your intrinsic untrustworthiness.

Mind you, having gone through the metric revolution myself, I still do my hieght in feet and inches and my weight in pounds. I blame it on living my first 10 years in the U,S, of A, But I can do the temperature in metric and distance in km... so I'm half way there, after 40 years.

If I live to 107 I should be fully metric by then.
Norm, Metric has been the official measurement system of the United States since January 1, 1880. We just choose to ignore it.
09-04-2017, 04:05 PM   #40180
Veteran Member

Ah come on, the metric system was invented because of poor math skills, having to count on your fingers, and toes when higher mathematics are called for.

Haven't we been through this once, twice, or thrice before?
09-04-2017, 04:08 PM - 1 Like   #40181
Veteran Member

Mostly I read historical fiction (the Sharpe series by Bernard Cornwell is really good if you haven't read it) and non-fiction, books I'm reading that encourages this adventure are the non-fiction books by John Prebble;Glencoe, Culloden, and The Highland Clearances. Ya, books like The Kon-Tiki Expedition, mention a lot less of the day-today survival at sea - I guess having done it for months the author didn't give it a second thought. That's a good book you may like as well. I've read many war stories, fiction and not. I guess that fuels my sense of adventure.

And that's exactly why I want to do this, from camping and backpacking with modern gear I've learn a bit - but I would learn more, and be more connected with the earth.

It's all part of the fun...

I like to think I'm reasonably tough, but you may be right - leaving to books - of course, I'm still young and foolish so I'm going to do it a few time anyway.
the sharpe novels are good reads

I had a choice, not everyone did, I avoided my war
here is a why....
a kid I swam with wanted to be marine more than anything
a smart kid but terrible student he wrangled an early graduation
so right after Christmas he enlisted
in late august I was lifeguarding at a city pool when a husk of a man sat down in the office
he looks forty instead of eighteen and significant parts of him are missing
he shows me armored vehicles that had been painted with art I had done for him
he talks about going on patrol the first week in country and being blown up
he cries because he can't fight any longer

we talk a bit but it's me that's uncomfortable

I never saw him again

I finished high school
started college, alcohol and drugs
got a job where the ratio of brains to brawn was in my favor

seventeen is a little early to discover you are a wuss and that real life isn't your cup of tea

I talked to my dad about it
he said I had to register for the draft but unless it was the end of the world I was not going to be drafted
surprisingly he said war sucked and anybody who loved it was FUBARed or hadn't been to one

I don't know if he was right but I quit reading war fiction that summer

a few years later I was working in a recruiter's apartment
he asked why I wasn't in the service
I told him the only thing i'd ever won in my life was the draft lottery
then he asked if I was one of those guys who didn't want kill anyone
I had had a lot of time to think about it

I looked him in the eye and said killing actually didn't bother me much
however I would decide who and when and what for

he kind of grinned and said maybe I was in the right place
09-04-2017, 04:11 PM   #40182
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As I've pointed out probably more than once, when the USA decided to adopt the metric system about during the 1970's they did the dumbest thing possible, something that insured failure. Children were taught the "old" English system first, then were taught how to convert those values to the "new" metric (or SI) system. Doomed the changeover before it got started.
09-04-2017, 04:13 PM   #40183
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I just think of all the poor school kids who have to figure out how to add four and five eights to one and three sixteenths.
But yes, I'm 6'2" except when I'm 1.88m tall.
i'm six feet and one half inch except when my spine collapses
09-04-2017, 04:22 PM - 2 Likes   #40184
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Next time I make jerky I'll send you some, if I can remember to message you for an address.
That's a kind offer to someone who plays the bagpipes...
The offering is a bribe to not play them here.
I haven't posted a video in a while... last time was three days and 225 posts ago.
Do it and you can kiss my bribe of The Best Friggin' Jerky in the Whole Wide World goodbye.
You can always bribe me with jerky to delete any of those offensive bagpipe posts.
09-04-2017, 04:59 PM   #40185
Pentaxian

We have spent most of the weekend just chilling at home, staying out of the traffic mess... We did go out today to a "local" bookstore and a furniture store. I found the titles I was looking for, was introduced to another new author, and found another place serving fried okra around town (Mmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!). Yay Barnes & Noble, yay Church's! New title was N.K. Jemisen "The Fifth Season" (1st of The Broken Earth series), new author Ken Liu on the recommendation of one of the staff.