Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108807 Likes Search this Thread
09-12-2017, 11:19 AM - 1 Like   #40366
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Ah, yes, 9/11...

Yesterday was actually election day here. Can't really comment on that, can I. The post-fact era continues, though.

09-12-2017, 11:12 PM   #40367
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Porterhouse for dinner yesterday.
Sided with a salad, and a baked Idaho.
Love that little MX-1.........oops, sorry.

We Australians really equate barbecue with grilling like that ... to US connoisseurs, does BBQ really mean low temperature roasting? And primarily pork?
09-13-2017, 01:04 AM - 2 Likes   #40368
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
We Australians really equate barbecue with grilling like that ... to US connoisseurs, does BBQ really mean low temperature roasting? And primarily pork?
To me, BBQ is anything (not only meat, poultry or fish) cooked on a charcoal grill, or over a fire using wood. Out of convenience and laziness using propane is done, but the purists will lynch anyone using gas. The charcoal or wood always impart a better flavor.

Of course there is also the associated marinades, rubs, sauces, etc to create culinary delight apart from the daily kitchen fodder. I like to make my own, using fresh ingredients and no high fructose corn syrup or other stuff that is unhealthy to consume.

Also consider that BBQ varies widely depending on the region. In some areas it is mostly pork, other areas seafood is king, and beef reigns supreme in others. Some places like meat that has been slow cooked, or cold smoked. The local Indians in my area have been cold smoking salmon for centuries. It is delicious. Often one can find BBQ that is influenced by immigrants, like the Korean BBQ restaurants that seem to have become popular of late.

Since I have lived and worked in every corner of the Lower 48, and have consumed "BBQ" from all over, my tastes are fairly broad, although I cannot abide by anything that has been cooked until it is dry. I went into a regional chain in the southeast, Sonny's Real Pit Barbecue while waiting on a reload near Marianna, Florida once. It was such a place. Over seasoned and over cooked. The worst food I have ever eaten. It took 4 beers to wash it down.

I'll never go there again.

Mrs. Racer and I grill at least once a week, all year long. Sometimes fish, sometimes pork, sometimes beef, sometimes poultry, and we vary the seasonings so it doesn't get old. Always with some vegetables, brushed with seasoned olive oil.
09-13-2017, 01:05 AM - 1 Like   #40369
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico

Perfectly cooked, I must add.

09-13-2017, 04:50 AM - 1 Like   #40370
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Love that little MX-1.........oops, sorry
Rob, I love my MX-1. Between buying when the market for them was low and using cash back bonus points, it cost me all of $120. Great little camera.
09-13-2017, 05:20 AM - 3 Likes   #40371
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

To the purists, yes; but as with many words it has morphed over time to a broader meaning. It's my experience that to the overwhelming majority of people, in most regions of the country, it means what Racer's post described.
Th South is the home of BBQ and anyone from the St. Louis area () and South of it may have a different explanation.
09-13-2017, 06:08 AM - 2 Likes   #40372
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
To the purists, yes
I agree, some of them get upset if you call grilled food barbecue.
For others though if it has bbq sauce on it, then it's bbq, even if it's from the oven or slow cooker.
True barbecue is basically a large piece of meat, like pork shoulder, ribs, or beef brisket, cooked in a smoker at a temp of 225F or higher.
I usually go higher in the 260F to 300F range.
It takes anywhere from a few hours to 12 or more to render these cuts of meat tender.
Pork butts (cut from the front shoulder) will hit a stall at around 165F internal temp, this can last for a few hours before climbing again to the 200F needed for easy pulling.

Chris Lily explains it better:

09-13-2017, 08:13 AM - 1 Like   #40373
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

before climbing again to the 200F needed for easy pulling.
Yep. Boiling ribs before finishing on the grill accomplishes that.
09-13-2017, 08:27 AM - 2 Likes   #40374
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Yep. Boiling ribs before finishing on the grill accomplishes that.
Let's see what Vince has to say about that.
09-13-2017, 08:31 AM - 1 Like   #40375
Veteran Member

Hope Rupert is doing ok, no rebuttal from him on Bert's pipe video.
Maybe he's been called to London to help unclog the sewer from a fatberg.
Behold The Fatberg: London's 130-Ton, 'Rock-Solid' Sewer Blockage : The Two-Way : NPR
09-13-2017, 08:53 AM - 1 Like   #40376
Pentaxian

And primarily pork?
Classically speaking, beans. Hard to keep them on the grill, though.
09-13-2017, 08:54 AM - 1 Like   #40377
Pentaxian

Maybe he's been called to London to help unclog the sewer from a fatberg.
Behold The Fatberg: London's 130-Ton, 'Rock-Solid' Sewer Blockage : The Two-Way : NPR
Ewwwwww. I am glad there are people in the world with much stronger stomachs than mine!
09-13-2017, 09:36 AM - 2 Likes   #40378
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Well, I missed the video.....thank goodness........but there are worse things. (Typing on tiny Nextbook...may be sloppy!)

RUPERT REPORT:
(different than a RUPERT STORY .......more factual...less BS)

I'll stay brief...have too....not much energy or stamina currently.

*At home sleeping Sunday morning...got up to pee...4:30 AM.....went back to bed. Could not catch my breath at ll.....huffed and puffed and forced myself to take in air. .

*Got up and turned up my oxygen that I normally need only at night. Helped a littler but not much.

*Could not walk more than a few feet without collapsing...loss of breath...huffing and puffing. Pure misery.

*4PM- Mrs Rupert took me to the ER......I barely made it the 20 feet out to the car.

*At the I got some oxygen and lung inhalers, pills, 4-5 shots X-rays and other junk. Some relief after about an hour

*They admitted me and I have been in the hosp.since then. rIght lung.......still has the pneumonia...they are working hard to find whart strain......but giving me many antibiotics meanwhile. This by my pulmonologist after several X-Rays and a CT scan and many multiple blood tests. They have drawn a ton of blood.

*The hospital doctor had a hunch and ordered another CT. Since rthis came on suddenly and the bad lung was not worse and the good lung appeared fine she suspected a blood clot.Sure enough, several blood clots in the left good lung. One in particular that is hindering blood flow out of the lung.

*At least I know what caused this sudden change now. They have me on some powerful clot busters and a bunch of other drugs.....and I mean a bunch! Breathing treatments 4 times a day and other stuff...too much to mention.

*WIll post more when able....lots of nurses and therapists in and out of my room.....hard to type on this little machine too.

*Mrs Rupert......By my side every second....;couldn't pry her away with a wrecking bar. 51 years of dedication feels pretty damn good when you are laid up in my situation. What is true everlasting love? Mrs Rupert...and it is returned.

More when I can.....therapist coming in.....

Hey guys...we never know.......not a one of us. If I should not make it......i love you guys, you are a wonderful part of my life and have been.a long time.

Your too Bert......but there will be no pipes for me at the Pearly Gates...those are reserved for those going rto q much warmer climate!

Love you guys!
Rupert
09-13-2017, 09:41 AM - 1 Like   #40379
Pentaxian

Healing vibes heading to Texas!
09-13-2017, 09:47 AM - 1 Like   #40380
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Damn.

Damn..........

Get better, Jim. Lots of prayers your way.