Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108807 Likes Search this Thread
09-23-2017, 09:06 AM - 1 Like   #40546
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
My son-in-law was born in Uruguay - everyone in that country gets basic health care at no charge (beyond what they pay in taxes of course).
There are many types of national systems, each nation is different. I feel that eventually we will get a decent one ourselves, if for no other reason than our current mess will simply drag on the economy so hard that it must be remedied.

At my age I have Medicare...a wonderful program that is loved by all in it. However, it is not my primary coverage....that is through Mrs Rupert's employer and it pays first.....then Medicare.....usually leaving only a few dollars for us to pay. They have quality coverage for their employees.....and part of that reason is the Board of Directors must have the same plan as the lowest employee.
Like I said, I believe we will eventually get to a decent program for everyone.

Just a note about the Mods.....when you think you might be going to the basement. Just between us, they can be bribed. Some like gifts sent from Amazon....exotic foods etc. ......others like things related to their hobbies or favorite sports...for some reason auto racing stuff comes to mind.....like a Dale Earnhardt Jr. autograph or nice Team Jacket. You didn't hear it here!

Regards!

09-23-2017, 09:53 AM   #40547
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
My son-in-law was born in Uruguay - everyone in that country gets basic health care at no charge (beyond what they pay in taxes of course). If you want more than what is in the plan, you can privately purchase coverage that gets you admission to private clinics/hospitals, perhaps some advanced diagnostics and procedures. In short, everyone is immunized (less spread of disease), dying from the sniffles that would otherwise become pneumonia is far less common, common injuries are taken care of without trips to the ER (unless the injury truly needs the ER). I'm sure those with private insurance have private or semi-private rooms equipped with TV and bedside telephones.

What don't we get that making sure accessible basic health care across the board benefits all of us? Fewer missed work days, less impact from epidemics, the list just keeps going.
The impact of an individualist philosophy.
09-23-2017, 11:01 AM - 1 Like   #40548
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Just a note about the Mods.....when you think you might be going to the basement. Just between us, they can be bribed. Some like gifts sent from Amazon....exotic foods etc. ......others like things related to their hobbies or favorite sports...for some reason auto racing stuff comes to mind.....like a Dale Earnhardt Jr. autograph or nice Team Jacket. You didn't hear it here!

Regards!
FWIW, I like Columbus and Gallo dry salami and just about any kind of cheese. Just sayin'......

Speaking of cheese, over the last couple of weeks I've had the good fortune to eat at two different Sickies. I LOVE burgers. I'd rather have a gourmet burger than a steak or prime rib. Sickies has gourmet burgers!
I had the Twin Cam both times. It's a bacon cheeseburger but instead of a bun, the burger, cheese, and bacon are put between 2 grilled cheese sandwiches.
Next time I think I'll try the TURBOCHARGED TWIN CAM: 2 cheeseburgers, 2 fried eggs, and 4 slices of peppered bacon stuffed between 2 grilled cheese sandwiches
09-23-2017, 12:52 PM   #40549
Pentaxian

The supermarkets here do not seem to offer sticks of salami and similar sausages - they only want to offer pre-sliced packaged sausage.

I want to find a place that will sell me a whole one.

09-23-2017, 01:49 PM - 1 Like   #40550
Veteran Member

it seems their was a brief flirtation here with squirrels and their nuts
to validate that trend...this link...Squirrels Organize Their Nuts to Make Them Easier to Remember - Atlas Obscura

---------- Post added 09-23-17 at 02:05 PM ----------

Guessing ......12 gauge slug...fire away and run like hell?

I went fishing once long ago and my granddad told me to take the 10 gauge with a slug and go get us some bait. went in the woods by the creek and found a possum....there was not much left for bait....

Regards!
for all practical purposes a twelve is about 3/4 inch in diameter
even the hollow point slugs I've used don't really expand...just make a very deep 3/4' hole

I used to load 4X.451 balls into 12 gauge shotshells, then use 12, 9 and 6 shot as a buffer...3x.451 in a 20 gauge...relatively tight groups at twenty five to thirty yards...used them for coyotes and such when working near livestock or buildings
about the same accuracy as foster slugs at the working range but because of the spread, a lot less thinking was required when using a gun without sights

Last edited by ccc_; 09-23-2017 at 02:05 PM.
09-23-2017, 02:47 PM   #40551
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
The supermarkets here do not seem to offer sticks of salami and similar sausages - they only want to offer pre-sliced packaged sausage.

You could always try Hickory Farms on line, if one or more of their sausages is to your taste.
09-23-2017, 03:52 PM   #40552
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote

Using the search engine of your choice, look for the kind of salami you want and browse the hits. Lots of results, delivered to your door.

You can even get exotic game salami, sausage, jerky, etc.

09-23-2017, 04:28 PM   #40553
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
are put between 2 grilled cheese sandwiches.
Not just any old ordinary cheese .....quadruple slices of delicious Velveeta!
09-23-2017, 04:35 PM - 2 Likes   #40554
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Not just any old ordinary cheese .....quadruple slices of delicious Velveeta!
No, cheese; not Velveeta.
09-23-2017, 04:58 PM   #40555
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
No, cheese; not Velveeta.
Well, it says real cheese on the box......I guess you could challenge it...if you feel lucky.......?

Regards!
09-23-2017, 05:36 PM   #40556
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wholly Velveeta Batman!
09-23-2017, 05:38 PM - 1 Like   #40557
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

LOL!
Feel lucky? Seriously? If I were lucky I could walk across the room without pain; just like I could last year at this time.
09-23-2017, 09:36 PM - 1 Like   #40558
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
I've been dealing with chronic neck and back pain since I was in my 30's. Then my feet began to fail. Along came the left hip, and 20 years of complaining to doctors who said nothing was wrong. Carpal tunnel work on the right hand about 5 years ago.

Then the recent foot rework.

I feel your pain Jim.

Been living with it almost all my days. Sometimes it consumes me, sometimes I find ways to ignore it. For a long time I 'enjoyed' the benefit of narcotics administered by a competent pain management doctor, but these days I use Ibuprofen, ice, a diet rich in foods that have anti-inflammatory properties, self hypnosis, exercise and generally ignoring the pain to manage it.

Choosing to not let it consume me helps a lot. Attitude is everything.

Last edited by Racer X 69; 09-24-2017 at 12:12 PM.
09-23-2017, 10:02 PM   #40559
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
You could always try Hickory Farms on line, if one or more of their sausages is to your taste.

Thanks, they seem not to ship to England.
09-23-2017, 10:14 PM   #40560
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I've been dealing with chronic neck and back pain since I was on my 30's. Then my feet began to fail. Along came the left hip, and 20 years of complaining to doctors who said nothing was wrong. Carpal tunnel work on the right hand about 5 years ago.

Then the recent foot rework.

I feel your pain Jim.

Been living with it almost all my days. Sometimes it consumes me, sometimes I find ways to ignore it. For a long time I 'enjoyed' the benefit of narcotics administered by a competent pain management doctor, but these days I use Ibuprofen, ice, a diet rich in foods that have anti-inflammatory properties, self hypnosis, exercise and generally ignoring the pain to manage it.

Choosing to not let it consume me helps a lot. Attitude is everything.

Do you mean the ice made from water, or the ice supplied by motorcyclists?