Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108795 Likes Search this Thread
09-23-2017, 10:45 PM   #40561
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Do you mean the ice made from water, . . . . . . . . .
I use a gel pack like they have at the PT clinic. Keep it in the deep freezer.

Used it this evening in fact.

. . . . . . . . . . . or the ice supplied by motorcyclists?
I don't get it.

09-24-2017, 05:43 AM   #40562
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote

I don't get it.
Google "ice slang"
09-24-2017, 05:50 AM - 2 Likes   #40563
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
these days I use Ibuprofen, ice, a diet rich in foods that have anti-inflammatory properties, self hypnosis, exercise and generally ignoring the pain to manage it.

Choosing to not let it consume me helps a lot. Attitude is everything.
Aha! Now I know why none of that works for me.
09-24-2017, 06:05 AM - 4 Likes   #40564
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I've been dealing with chronic neck and back pain since I was on my 30's. Then my feet began to fail. Along came the left hip, and 20 years of complaining to doctors who said nothing was wrong. Carpal tunnel work on the right hand about 5 years ago.

Then the recent foot rework.

I feel your pain Jim.

Been living with it almost all my days. Sometimes it consumes me, sometimes I find ways to ignore it. For a long time I 'enjoyed' the benefit of narcotics administered by a competent pain management doctor, but these days I use Ibuprofen, ice, a diet rich in foods that have anti-inflammatory properties, self hypnosis, exercise and generally ignoring the pain to manage it.

Choosing to not let it consume me helps a lot. Attitude is everything.
Having followed your problems for some time, I believe you are worse off than me. Pain is a constant in my feet, but like you, I have learned to live with it and manage it......without more than aspirin, of which I am highly tolerant.
All of a sudden I am now on a boatload of drugs 3 times a day......When I was dismissed from the hospital, they gave me a ton of prescriptions. It is a chore just to swallow them all down. I am not complaining too much...I was damn close to going over the edge two weeks ago today.

We try to hang on to life...even when it is not optimal....and with each bad experience we suffer, we find life more precious than ever and re-energize our love for the little things that we have been taking for granted. Like holding Mrs Rupert's hand as I drift off to sleep.....

We be tough guys Racer! We didn't ask for it, but we have met it head on and are still here, hopefully for a while longer.

Regards!

God bless Mrs Rupert...out there on a Sunday morning feeding the animals and watering the plants for me. She has been rock solid in all of my ordeals in life.....never wavering, never complaining.
Name:  IMGP8747-800.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  446.9 KB

Last edited by Rupert; 09-24-2017 at 06:19 AM.
09-24-2017, 07:15 AM - 1 Like   #40565
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

I don't get it.

In Australia much of the second kind of ice is supplied by motorcyclists who wear chains and leather jackets with patches that are meant to inspire fear. Several state premiers call them "bikies", and have forced through legislation to limit their permissions to associate.
09-24-2017, 07:18 AM - 1 Like   #40566
Pentaxian

Rupert, good to have you back to your usual style.

Hope the chemicals do the right job for you and enable you to be weaned of them soon.
09-24-2017, 09:24 AM - 2 Likes   #40567
Veteran Member

Rupert, good to have you back to your usual style.

Hope the chemicals do the right job for you and enable you to be weaned of them soon.
I thank you Tim.....here on a Sunday morning I am struggling somewhat to obtain a little energy and keep my breathing up to par, but two weeks ago today I was close to checking out of this world...so I am grateful for every additional moment I have .
Lots of chemicals, that is for sure.....but I have to assume they are necessary? Modern drugs are both a miracle and a curse....they can go either way.

Just going over my records this morning....I have had about 6 CT scans, over a dozen chest X-rays......and can now light a dark room just by entering!

Regards!

09-24-2017, 11:05 AM   #40568
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I thank you Tim.....here on a Sunday morning I am struggling somewhat to obtain a little energy and keep my breathing up to par, but two weeks ago today I was close to checking out of this world...so I am grateful for every additional moment I have .
Lots of chemicals, that is for sure.....but I have to assume they are necessary? Modern drugs are both a miracle and a curse....they can go either way.

Just going over my records this morning....I have had about 6 CT scans, over a dozen chest X-rays......and can now light a dark room just by entering!

Regards!

Then you had better be very careful about DIY developing of B&W fast films. Don't want to fog that HP5 in ID11 or D76.

Oops, sorry for using swear words from the most banned subject of all in this thread.

Some of those modern chemicals. I once scared a doctor on a United flight. I took a blood pressure tablet and another tablet that has a side effect of reducing blood pressure just out of Sydney. Over Fiji, or there abouts I started feeling really seedy. Pressed the button to ask for help. So they found a friendly doctor who laid me out in aisle and felt for my pulse and could not feel it. BP was too low. So, the doctor was real worried. Meanwhile I was having what I thought was coherent conversation with I'm. The subject matter was what tablets I had taken. I thought that might help him understand what had happened.

Lay on the floor in the galley of the 747 for a while. Then sat on the aircrew seat near the galley for a while. By the time we got to the west coast I was fine and ready for the day. Flew on to Philadelphia with no further incidents.
09-24-2017, 12:15 PM   #40569
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

. . . . . . . or the ice supplied by motorcyclists?
Now that I get it, no.

In fact, HELL NO.

Bad Ju Ju.
09-24-2017, 12:23 PM   #40570
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Lay on the floor in the galley of the 747 for a while.
In my days as a truck driver I hauled many loads of floor beams for the 747.

Even earlier, in my days as a mechanic at the electric utility, I traveled for some business, from Seattle to Boston. The flight was on a 747. I was stuck in an aisle seat (I prefer window, ahead of or behind the wing, so I can watch the world pass by), and that seat was in the last row, at the back of the plane. Several times during the trip I leaned out and looked toward the front of the aircraft.

I was in awe at how much the floor heaved, twisted and rippled as the plane rolled through the air currents.

Commercial aircraft have good floors.
09-24-2017, 07:45 PM   #40571
Veteran Member

(I prefer window, ahead of or behind the wing, so I can watch the world pass by),
Ahead of or behind the wing???? You had other options?
09-24-2017, 09:25 PM   #40572
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Ahead of or behind the wing???? You had other options?
A window seat above the wing sucks. The wing blocks the view.

I mean, I build the darned things, and see them every day. Why would I want to sit in an aluminum tube for 4 hours staring out the window at one?
09-24-2017, 09:55 PM   #40573
Pentaxian

I mean, I build the darned things, and see them every day. Why would I want to sit in an aluminum tube for 4 hours staring out the window at one?

4 hours. That is hardly long enough to notice you got going.

Try 14!
09-24-2017, 10:02 PM   #40574
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

4 hours. That is hardly long enough to notice you got going.

Try 14!
Even more reason to avoid a window seat over the wing.

Either ahead of, or aft of, never on top of.
09-24-2017, 11:50 PM - 1 Like   #40575
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For those long Sydney-Johannesburg flights (14 hours) I prefer an isle seat. Much easier to go walkabout to stretch the legs. I still miss the good ol' days when a visit to a 747 cockpit in the middle of the night was a pretty nice experience. If you asked nicely the air hostess would come and get you with a quiet whisper in your ear when near everyone was asleep and guided you up the stairs past the elite seats and to the cockpit for a nice visit with the pilots. (Where it was quite often daylight - but the cabin in darkness to simulate nighttime for the passengers.)

Ahhh, the good ol' days.