Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108807 Likes Search this Thread
12-31-2017, 09:37 PM   #43516
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The dryer vent self-destructed. I think the cold / heat shock fractured the union.

4” hole in the wall, -1 temp and after a trip to Lowe’s I’m moving appliances, cutting 4” vent tube and tightening band clamps at ceiling height. Between the joists. With a socket wrench because a screwdriver won’t fit in there. Wearing a headlamp.

I should have just stuffed a rag in there and waited until next Sunday. Temp forecast is 40 deg.

Happy freaking New Year.

12-31-2017, 09:45 PM   #43517
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The dryer vent self-destructed. I think the cold / heat shock fractured the union.

4” hole in the wall, -1 temp and after a trip to Lowe’s I’m moving appliances, cutting 4” vent tube and tightening band clamps at ceiling height. Between the joists. With a socket wrench because a screwdriver won’t fit in there. Wearing a headlamp.

I should have just stuffed a rag in there and waited until next Sunday. Temp forecast is 40 deg.

Happy freaking New Year.
oops

sorry to hear about your misadventure
12-31-2017, 09:56 PM - 1 Like   #43518
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
4” hole in the wall, -1 temp and after a trip to Lowe’s I’m moving appliances, cutting 4” vent tube and tightening band clamps at ceiling height. Between the joists
On the plus side, bet you found a bunch of missing socks.
12-31-2017, 10:30 PM   #43519
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Mrs. Racer went to bed at 9pm.

Who goes to bed at 9pm on New Years Eve?

12-31-2017, 10:31 PM - 1 Like   #43520
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Happy New Year all.
And for Mark, Happy "Day after New Years Day" (Those Kiwis know how to give a good name to a holiday, eh?)
12-31-2017, 10:36 PM - 1 Like   #43521
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Who goes to bed at 9pm on New Years Eve?
Yeah! I stayed up until at least 11. Just got to sleep and was woken by the fireworks!
I can usually see most of the fireworks from front veranda, (but not in my PJs!!)
12-31-2017, 11:01 PM   #43522
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

hmmm

that was good

happy new year

01-01-2018, 12:13 AM   #43523
F/8 & Somewhere
Loyal Site Supporter

Happy New Year. Hmm, sounds like a small war outside right now.

They should run out of firecrackers soon.
01-01-2018, 12:15 AM   #43524
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Someone got the wrong idea about NYE fireworks: Liverpool Echo Arena car park fire destroys 1,400 vehicles - BBC News

1400 cars.
01-01-2018, 12:21 AM   #43525
Pentaxian

Since yesterday afternoon I have been getting a lot of 'cant find this page' messages on the forums, when clicking on links in the forums. Anyone else been getting the same?

I am not getting them with other websites.
01-01-2018, 12:30 AM - 1 Like   #43526
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
The real problem is that people are addicted to the cigarettes and the governments are addicted to tax revenues. So they take pseudo steps that make them appear to concerned about the side effects but not enough to solve the problem. An interesting study in the US showed that if everyone in the US that smokes quit. government expenses would actually go up. People would live longer and stand a good chance of getting other kinds of cancers. Social security expenditures would go up too for the same reason.
It was a long time ago and I can't remember every detail, but this is about right. Way back in the last millenium (about the 1960s), there was no link between cigarette smoking and cancer in France. It seemed that, if you smoked Gauloises or Disque Bleu, you could not get cancer. After all the studies trying to link cancer with cigarette smoking, the government decreed that there was no link in France.

The government owned the cigarette factories.

Eh.
01-01-2018, 01:01 AM - 1 Like   #43527
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Midnight, PST.

Happy New Year everyone!
01-01-2018, 01:38 AM   #43528
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
So close to -30C.
Back when growing up and having to ski to school, I would have chosen a soft wax for the middle of the ski for traction when kicking back.
Now, I would not leave the house!
I don't blame you. Now that I'm retired and I don't have to leave the house every day, I find that +15C is my cut-off temperature. If it's below +15C, then I have to have a very good reason for leaving the house.
01-01-2018, 02:46 AM   #43529
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RichardS Quote
It was a long time ago and I can't remember every detail, but this is about right. Way back in the last millenium (about the 1960s), there was no link between cigarette smoking and cancer in France. It seemed that, if you smoked Gauloises or Disque Bleu, you could not get cancer. After all the studies trying to link cancer with cigarette smoking, the government decreed that there was no link in France.

The government owned the cigarette factories.

Eh.

Sorry for talking about photography, but I recall seeing a photo of one of the early Tour de France races showing the cyclists, themselves, smoking whilst racing. Smoking was actually believed to be good for one's performance. Would it have been banned as a performance enhancing drug if the current sensitivities were around over that issue? Apparently during WWII death by heart attack decreased at the same time as there was a decrease in the availability of tobacco to the general public.

The problem of proving these things:

There is a lot of correlational evidence.
There is evidence of the presence of various carcinogens in the smoke.
But can you prove that smoking CAUSED the cancer and not something else, or that the specific combination of carcinogens in smoke causes cancer?

A large part of that depends on what one considers, or is willing to accept as, proof of cause.

Philosophy, research methods and law collide creating a loud report.
01-01-2018, 02:50 AM   #43530
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RichardS Quote
I don't blame you. Now that I'm retired and I don't have to leave the house every day, I find that +15C is my cut-off temperature. If it's below +15C, then I have to have a very good reason for leaving the house.

Over here that would make you a shut-in.

But more seriously, your sensation on leaving the house would be more like if you applied a rule of about 8C here you would feel about the same as at 15C over there. When I moved I found this difference quite stunning.