Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2018, 02:06 PM - 1 Like   #43696
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
My oldest son is career Air Force active reserves. His hobby and side business is saddle making and leather work.
I thought I'd show off the saddle bags he made for a customer.
The guy wanted a holster built in for his .38 special.
That's beautiful work, Bob!

01-07-2018, 06:37 PM - 2 Likes   #43697
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here`s a curve-ball that should help us keep from thinking about the livE hociR 3K.
Made some Chicken & Roasted garlic risotto. The chicken was browned with Finlandia butter.
Healthy, nah, tasty, absolutely.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
01-07-2018, 10:46 PM   #43698
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
England all out 346.

By the end, because they had passed half the score to make Australia bat again (before they were all out) the Barmy Army were singing "half way there".

The Barmy Army are England supporters who go for a holiday in Australia during the Ashes tours to go to the tests to do barmy things like drinking too much and singing supporter songs, just like other England supporters do at the soccer games. All part of the fun of cricket. You see cricket is a whole multimedial multimodal entertainment experience.

England captain Joe Root was in hospital in the morning with a viral gastro (means lots of technicolour yawning). He got himself discharged and came to the SCG so he came on to bat after another batter fell. The rules of cricket do allow a batter to have an interrupted inning for reason of illness or injury. Injury (retired hurt) is common, and if the team need them back they may come back later in the innings, suffering impairment. Also, a batter is allowed to bat with a runner, if the batter is unable to run for themselves. The batter faces the ball and does the hitting. The runner stands about 20 yards to one side of the pitch and does the running for scoring run runs. Coordinating that often does not work very well, so runouts are relatively common. Also, the real batter is batting under impairment and so is likely to not do well.
01-07-2018, 10:53 PM   #43699
Pentaxian

Watchout, Aspall cider company has been sold to Molson Coors. Guess tha means they will bulk manufacture the cider by using apples from the correct source location, but thinning the fluid with water to make enough to fit their market. Is that how they get Coors to be a 'dirty waterish' as they do? Then add alcohol from some cheap source of pure spirit to keep the average alcohol by volume correct.

Actually, I tried cider and decided I do not like it. Too sweet for me.

01-08-2018, 08:22 AM - 1 Like   #43700
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for the compliments on my son's leather work.
ccc, he called them saddle bags, that's all I know.
When he has the time, I want him to make me a wrist strap for my KP, stamped with PENTAX, not HOCIR. (sorry for the gear talk)
Here's a couple of his saddles:

01-08-2018, 09:10 AM - 1 Like   #43701
Veteran Member

Thanks for the compliments on my son's leather work.
ccc, he called them saddle bags, that's all I know.
When he has the time, I want him to make me a wrist strap for my KP, stamped with PENTAX, not HOCIR. (sorry for the gear talk)
Here's a couple of his saddles:
excellent work...it's nice to see traditional saddles made anew

if you watch the really old westerns you'll see they have tall cantles (the back of your butt bit) and horns
in the films when we were growing up they are lower
then like everything else the traditionalists got in a snit, so several of he new films have returned to the older style of tack
01-08-2018, 01:31 PM - 1 Like   #43702
Pentaxian

I give you, due to popular demand, a couple of pictures from near the site of the Battle of Radcot Bridge, 1387. I took these this morning on the way to work, about 7:30, so it was dark. One is looking towards Farringdon, at the top of the hill. This is the Farringdon in Oxfordshire, not the London tube station of the same name, and the other is looking from the same place, along the road to Littleworth and Thrupp towards the bridge.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
01-08-2018, 02:39 PM   #43703
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ccc_ Quote
excellent work...it's nice to see traditional saddles made anew

if you watch the really old westerns you'll see they have tall cantles (the back of your butt bit) and horns
in the films when we were growing up they are lower
then like everything else the traditionalists got in a snit, so several of he new films have returned to the older style of tack
I wonder how many of these saddles were actually used in the west by those who were not " cow boys " and needed the saddle horns

McClellan saddle | Military Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia

" . . . The saddle also saw considerable civilian use, and was made for civilian sales by a variety of manufacturers . . . "

do the " traditionalists " ever talk about them?
01-08-2018, 03:03 PM - 1 Like   #43704
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
I wonder how many of these saddles were actually used in the west by those who were not " cow boys " and needed the saddle horns

McClellan saddle | Military Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia

" . . . The saddle also saw considerable civilian use, and was made for civilian sales by a variety of manufacturers . . . "

do the " traditionalists " ever talk about them?
if you look you will see them but you can't work cows in the style we know without the horn
think of the horn as a belay point

there are all sorts of almost fetishistic regard for whichever bit of gear someone believes in

mcclellans are supposed to be light and an almost minimalist approach to saddlery...like a k1000 to photography

we've just about exhausted what I know about tack
01-08-2018, 03:34 PM   #43705
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

if you look you will see them but you can't work cows in the style we know without the horn
think of the horn as a belay point

there are all sorts of almost fetishistic regard for whichever bit of gear someone believes in

mcclellans are supposed to be light and an almost minimalist approach to saddlery...like a k1000 to photography

we've just about exhausted what I know about tack
yeah, I realized they weren't designed to be a " working saddle " for the cow boys

you are correct, as far as i know, that the " saddle horn " was used with the rope to control the animal being roped, whether it was cattle or horse

but it appears that the McClellan was useable by those who did not need a saddle horn and it would not surprise me that a number might have been " liberated " legally or illegally from the military
01-08-2018, 04:20 PM   #43706
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
yeah, I realized they weren't designed to be a " working saddle " for the cow boys

you are correct, as far as i know, that the " saddle horn " was used with the rope to control the animal being roped, whether it was cattle or horse

but it appears that the McClellan was useable by those who did not need a saddle horn and it would not surprise me that a number might have been " liberated " legally or illegally from the military
sure, as I said you will see them in movies and photos
it was a style that could purchased commercially, parallel to military usage
I hear it is still popular for American endurance riding

somewhere I think I have instructions for making one
however saddlemaking just seemed like too much effort for someone as lazy as I am

I do have a pdf of an army saddler's bench/tool chest that a reenactor was kind enough to send me...in case you want to try and stitch one up

Last edited by ccc_; 01-08-2018 at 04:36 PM.
01-08-2018, 04:22 PM   #43707
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

sure, as I said you will see them in movies and photos
it was a style that could purchased commercially parallel to military usage
I hear is still popular for American endurance riding

somewhere I think I have instructions for making one
however saddlemaking just seemed like too much effort for someone as lazy as I am

I do have a pdf of an army saddler's bench/tool chest that I reenactor was kind enough to send me...in case you want to try and stitch one up
Moi

not bloody likely

you might offer it to robtcorl's son
01-08-2018, 07:31 PM - 3 Likes   #43708
Veteran Member

01-08-2018, 07:35 PM - 1 Like   #43709
Veteran Member

Thanks Bert, this thread was on life support and needed a bacon injection.
01-08-2018, 07:41 PM   #43710
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks Bert, this thread was on life support and needed a bacon injection.
bag pipe music would have woken me up

while not tempting me to ruin my diet