Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108796 Likes Search this Thread
01-15-2018, 11:19 PM   #43876
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
So, do only teenage boys fart?

It is the teenage boys that have an overly great fascination with that subject.

01-16-2018, 12:32 AM   #43877
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Just like the good ol' Lee-Enfield .303s were used on everything from rats to polar bears and elephants.
and cows. I don't know if this is true, but there was a story going around when I was in the cadet force at school that a boy at another school had loaded a piece of pencil in front of a blank and took a pot-shot at a cow, never thinking that anything untoward could happen.

I have a fondness for the SMLE. The school cadet force upgraded from the Mk III to the No. 4 Mk 1 in the early/mid 1960s. As a member of the school's shooting team, I was issued with a specially selected/accurised/whatever weapon fitted with a target sight that had horizontal as well as vertical adjustments. It was a lovely thing. The bolt action was incredibly smooth and left my finger right next to the trigger ready for the next shot. My left arm was locked in the sling, the rifle didn't move and I never lost the sight picture. Some things just feel right.

---------- Post added 16-01-18 at 18:40 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Chicken livers are the only offal I'll eat.
Crispy fried, or cooked in garlic butter, either way always topped with a big dash of Tabasco.
Chicken livers are an essential ingredient in Bolognese pasta sauce. There may be some Italian cooks who don't agree, but they are wrong.
01-16-2018, 02:13 AM   #43878
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
I am watching an old black and white classic film

" Rio Grande " directed by John Ford

Rio Grande (1950) - IMDb

just saw the scene where Tyree ( the recruit wanted for manslaughter ) steals the Colonel's horse to escape, you can see him grab a McClellan saddle to use on the horse

Wayne played the Colonel, Maureen O'Hara played his wife and Ben Johnson played Tyree
It may have been a black and white film, but it was easy to see that Maureen O'Hara had red hair.

---------- Post added 16-01-18 at 20:20 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
They're not really anti-flatulence... you still pass wind; they just filter the gas.

For true anti-flatulence, you need one of these (use at own risk)...
you also need a mallet.
01-16-2018, 02:29 AM   #43879
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RichardS Quote
you also need a mallet.
I should have mentioned, that photo of the cork was reproduced larger than actual size...

01-16-2018, 02:37 AM   #43880
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Goat curry is good.
It's not goat curry, it's curried goat.
01-16-2018, 03:40 AM   #43881
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Was that a normal commercial flight, or just a 'to show we can' flight?

If the plane can do that, why were the pilots at San Diego bothered by the too tall nearby building.

Or are they planning this for routes in the highlands of New Guinea?
That video was shot at Farnborough. Manufacturers perform stunts like that to demonstrate the performance capability of their aircraft.

So, a basic crew, and an otherwise empty airplane.
01-16-2018, 06:34 AM - 1 Like   #43882
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
That video was shot at Farnborough. Manufacturers perform stunts like that to demonstrate the performance capability of their aircraft.

So, a basic crew, and an otherwise empty airplane.

Not that far down the road from where I live, now.
Except this is England and one travels on the Carpark4 followed by the Carpark 25, and a few minor roads to get there. Could take till tomorrow to go 50 miles.

01-16-2018, 07:20 AM   #43883
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RichardS Quote
I have a fondness for the SMLE. The school cadet force upgraded from the Mk III to the No. 4 Mk 1 in the early/mid 1960s. As a member of the school's shooting team, I was issued with a specially selected/accurised/whatever weapon fitted with a target sight that had horizontal as well as vertical adjustments. It was a lovely thing. The bolt action was incredibly smooth and left my finger right next to the trigger ready for the next shot. My left arm was locked in the sling, the rifle didn't move and I never lost the sight picture. Some things just feel right.
Would love to get one one day, think it would be fun to shoot.
01-16-2018, 07:30 AM - 1 Like   #43884
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Almost home again. Just a bit delayed. At all stages of the journey. Which is probably why we didn't miss any of our flights. Just missed the airport shuttle we had aimed for - and the next was cancelled. So yeah, the one hour and a half delay seems to follow us all the way home. Not too bad, then, and all the luggage has arrived. Nice not having to wear sandals in the snow
01-16-2018, 07:38 AM   #43885
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Almost home again. Just a bit delayed. At all stages of the journey. Which is probably why we didn't miss any of our flights. Just missed the airport shuttle we had aimed for - and the next was cancelled. So yeah, the one hour and a half delay seems to follow us all the way home. Not too bad, then, and all the luggage has arrived. Nice not having to wear sandals in the snow
glad you made it back

but why the delay

we want photos posted

now
01-16-2018, 07:43 AM - 1 Like   #43886
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Almost home again.
Welcome back to reality.
01-16-2018, 08:45 AM - 2 Likes   #43887
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

glad you made it back

but why the delay

we want photos posted

now
Thank you! But you really shouldn't mention photo related stuff in this thread. It's just for other stuff. Lots of stuff. Almost any stuff. But not photo stuff.

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Welcome back to reality.
Thanks - I think...

The next shuttle bus was also cancelled, something about a semi that blocked the road. So we ended up taking a different one. Not as convenient, but it got us home.

In the mean time I picked up some bottles of shoe polish at the airport. Couldn't resist a South African one named "Rupert & Rotschild" - I really didn't know old Rupert was involved in the shoe polish business. I'll think of him when I drink it.
01-16-2018, 08:56 AM   #43888
Pentaxian

Would love to get one one day, think it would be fun to shoot.
Wayyyyy back when I were aboot young Bert's age, my dad found a .303 (Mk IV I believe) at a garage/estate sale, an elderly widow thinning out the late hubby's stuff. He paid the princely sum of $10 for it. Very nice rifle, my older brother kinda took possession of it and eventually pawned it (and never retrieved it, the idjit!). Would love to still have it around...
01-16-2018, 09:11 AM - 1 Like   #43889
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Just like the good ol' Lee-Enfield .303s were used on everything from rats to polar bears and elephants.
My brother's got one. Just for fun. He's also got a 7.92×57mm Mauser. Just for fun. So do I, come to think of it. Has somewhat more of a punch.
01-16-2018, 09:19 AM   #43890
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

On my one and only trip so far to Tanzania I mentioned that I thought the AKs being carried by the Rangers would not be effective against large game

I was told that other than noise that could be right but they were carried not for animals but because of poachers
One of the rangers on our walks was doing anti-poaching patrols for decades. Not sure what he used back then, but now it's a .458 or somesuch. Those guys handle them as if they weigh nothing - and can work that bolt very quickly. I wouldn't want to be a poacher with those guys around.