Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108820 Likes Search this Thread
01-16-2018, 09:33 AM - 1 Like   #43891
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RichardS Quote
You're not wrong. Way back in ancient times, when newsgroups were the way to communicate, I used to be a regular on alt.2eggs.sausage.beans.tomatoes.2toast.largetea.cheerslove, the newsgroup dedicated to the FEB. The group name completely destroyed the rules about group naming, but it got in somehow and the powers that be (or were) let it survive because it was very active. The alt hierarchy was a bit permissive.

Although not part of the group name, bacon was a major topic. There were many recipes posted. Bacon featured. There were posts about where to buy the best bacon and north American members were not left out. Mail order sources were a regular feature. I don't think that we were able to help our Greek member

We were almost as good at sticking to the topic as this thread. The very first selfie I can remember was taken with a xatneP film camera using a mirror and posted to the group in around 2000. She was a part Comanche horse gentler, working on a horse breeding ranch in, I think, OK or KY. There is at least one other PentaxForums member who used to subscribe to that group. He (you know who I mean ) may remember the discussion we had about why Kentucky jam (jelly) was not really a very good substitute for marmelade.
Hmmm, I feel my ears burning, almost like someone was talking about me.

I still really miss that froup Richard and all the international camaraderie that went with it. I voted for the inclusion of the group in the 'alt.' hierarchy when it was proposed and made my first post just a couple of days after it was created. We had a truly great and very varied bunch of regulars (much like this place) and it was just like sitting in an old, run down, cafe that everyone loved. It even developed it's own quirks that used to puzzle newcomers, like the constant references to the anteaters that lived under the tables (they lived on all the spilt sugar), the overflowing ashtrays, the perpetual biscuit (cookie) barrel and of course Dimmer's arse candles!

Happy days!

EDIT: I just did some trawling though old bookmarks and discovered that Humbug's old website still exists after all these years! http://cheerslove.org.uk/

Last edited by Tako Kichi; 01-16-2018 at 10:02 AM.
01-16-2018, 09:45 AM - 1 Like   #43892
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
My brother's got one. Just for fun. He's also got a 7.92×57mm Mauser. Just for fun. So do I, come to think of it. Has somewhat more of a punch.
At one time I had over military surplus 70 rifles in my collection. Most of it has been sold off now. All of my Mausers are gone. I only regret selling one Mauser. A 1918 Danzig that had been reworked by the Weimar republic with modern sights. It was called a transition rifle. A beautiful long barrel rifle. I should have kept it that one. I am partial to long barrel rifles.

I also had a lot of Russian and Finnish military rifles. The Finnish rifles were all excellent shooters. They had the tightest firearm accuracy specs of any military involved in WWII. I still have an M39. It is my can't miss rifle. The only problem is that when the temps drop way below freezing and the wind starts howling the old girl screams to go the range.

I still have one Russian WWII sniper rifle too. The accuracy of that rifle stunned me when I it set up. In the right hands, not mine, it is a 1,000 meter rifle. Accuracy is about .5 MOA with Privi Partizan commercial ammunition. Single hole at 100 yards.

Nowadays, I mainly shoot sporting clays and some 22lr when I go to the range. Sporting clays is a lot of fun. Something about smashing the heck out of clays as they fly or bounce by is very satisfying. Vents a lot of frustrations. I have always found shooting sports very relaxing. To do it well, you have to control your breathing, your heart rate and clear your mind of everything else. It's more of a meditation than anything else. Probably why I enjoy nature photography so much.
01-16-2018, 11:10 AM - 3 Likes   #43893
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Just so you guys know I ain't kidding when I tell you there are dangerous animals in the bush - here's a specimen of the rare firebreathing nyala of Southern Africa

01-16-2018, 11:19 AM   #43894
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thank you! But you really shouldn't mention photo related stuff in this thread. It's just for other stuff. Lots of stuff. Almost any stuff. But not photo stuff. . . .
shouldn't mention

but ok to post a photo ???

[ liked the photo ]

01-16-2018, 11:39 AM   #43895
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
shouldn't mention

but ok to post a photo ???

[ liked the photo ]
Nonono. Photos are ok. As long as the topic is not something to do with photo.

See?

Simple!

And thanks
01-16-2018, 12:53 PM   #43896
Veteran Member

Nonono. Photos are ok. As long as the topic is not something to do with photo.
And as long as it isn't taken with a third numeral xatneP camera.
01-16-2018, 01:05 PM   #43897
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tako Kichi Quote
And as long as it isn't taken with a third numeral xatneP camera.
Indeed.

Or at least we try to ignore the fact if it is done

01-16-2018, 01:21 PM   #43898
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Nonono. Photos are ok. As long as the topic is not something to do with photo
... and doesn't encourage anyone to buy a K-3, of course
01-16-2018, 01:28 PM - 1 Like   #43899
Pentaxian

Just so you guys know I ain't kidding when I tell you there are dangerous animals in the bush - here's a specimen of the rare firebreathing nyala of Southern Africa
Ooh, green flames! Exotic...
01-16-2018, 05:07 PM   #43900
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
It is the teenage boys that have an overly great fascination with that subject.
I must say that I have long outgrown the teenage fascination with such things.

But.

It is still a daily occurrence. Part of normal everyday life. If one is eating a good, healthy, high fiber diet, there will be gas. More fiber, more gas. In fact, I just had a physical and discussed it in depth with my physician. You see, I had to make radical changes to my diet and lifestyle a year ago last September. A bout of pancreatitis triggered by fatty liver, which was the culmination of a lifetime of eating whatever I wanted, whenever I wished. Many years of rich foods, lots of dairy (hey, they said dairy is good, one of the main foods in the food pyramid!), plenty of red meat, salty snacks, sweets, etc. Nowhere near enough exercise, even though I have always led a very active lifestyle.

So I made radical changes to my diet.

I began to exercise everyday.

I was a total vegetarian for several months, but added in mostly fish, and then some poultry and pork. Quit dairy completely, as well as most other fats. No highly refined sugars.

Now, 16 months later, I am in better shape than I was 30 or 40 years ago. The bloodwork shows much improved cholesterol, among other things. I'm sleeping better. Lost more weight (I was 240lbs {108.9 kg} when I quit driving trucks and went to work in the Big Shed, now I am under 180 {81.7kg}), and continue to drop pounds.

And because of the diet, my digestive system is functioning very well again.

Almost too well.

But the doctor says everything is good.

Even if it comes with a highly active fumigation device.
01-16-2018, 05:10 PM   #43901
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
Ooh, green flames! Exotic...
I believe the FFO is BW!
01-16-2018, 05:13 PM - 2 Likes   #43902
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Green fire.

Must have eaten jalapenos.
01-16-2018, 05:22 PM   #43903
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tako Kichi Quote
Hmmm, I feel my ears burning, almost like someone was talking about me.

<snip>

EDIT: I just did some trawling though old bookmarks and discovered that Humbug's old website still exists after all these years! 2 eggs, sausage, beans, tomatoes, 2 toast, large tea, cheerslove!
I had no idea it was still going. Thanks for the link.
01-16-2018, 05:57 PM   #43904
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
still have an M39.
I never had an opportunity to fire one, heard stories thou.
I like his videos.
01-16-2018, 06:04 PM   #43905
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RichardS Quote
I had no idea it was still going. Thanks for the link.
No problem, I spent several hours this afternoon/evening trawling through all the old threads and conversations. Many, many, names that brought back fond memories and a lot I'd forgotten plus at least one that is better left forgotten! Made me quite nostalgic but there were some that had me laughing so hard I was almost choking!