Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108796 Likes Search this Thread
01-21-2018, 08:21 AM - 4 Likes   #44011
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Mrs Bob and I got all of the Christmas stuff finally put away.
It was our first year using a bag for the artificial tree, it stays together and upright.
Getting it stuffed in there and cinched with the straps was a bit of a struggle, but it will be nice when it goes up again.

After all this was done Mrs Bob noticed that her Fitbit was missing, a search around the house and yard didn't find it, so we were pretty sure it must be in with the bagged tree.
What a hassle it would be to look for it there, so I did a little online checking and found there's an android app called Bluetooth Finder.
Alta, the name of her model, came up on my phone and the reading got stronger the closer I got to the tree, and pegged out near the bottom of the bag.
Thankfully there's a little zippered access window down there, unzipped it and there it was on the floor of the bag.
Several points scored for Bobby!

01-21-2018, 08:52 AM - 1 Like   #44012
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
You're stuttering again Bob.
01-21-2018, 09:16 AM   #44013
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
You're stuttering again Bob.
Not anymore
Usually I catch it when it double posts, which has happened fairly often lately.
01-21-2018, 09:36 AM   #44014
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Mrs Bob and I got all of the Christmas stuff finally put away.
It was our first year using a bag for the artificial tree, it stays together and upright.
Getting it stuffed in there and cinched with the straps was a bit of a struggle, but it will be nice when it goes up again.

After all this was done Mrs Bob noticed that her Fitbit was missing, a search around the house and yard didn't find it, so we were pretty sure it must be in with the bagged tree.
What a hassle it would be to look for it there, so I did a little online checking and found there's an android app called Bluetooth Finder.
Alta, the name of her model, came up on my phone and the reading got stronger the closer I got to the tree, and pegged out near the bottom of the bag.
Thankfully there's a little zippered access window down there, unzipped it and there it was on the floor of the bag.
Several points scored for Bobby!
Mrs. Racer's older sister gave us her artificial tree some years back. The way it goes together it wouldn't go into a storage bag like that. Instead it would simply come apart where the branches attach to the 'trunk'. So every year I bring it up from the basement, unpack it and assemble it. I even reinforced the original cardboard box with gaffer's tape. It has held up fairly well over the years, but I'm going to have to make a new base for it. The original one doesn't hold the tree plumb, and has no provisions to set it plumb. My plan is to take a section of a real tree branch of suitable diameter and length, bore a hole to fit the 'trunk', epoxy it on and use the base for a real tree with the adjustment screws to get it plumb. Should work quite well.

There has only been one other 'problem' in recent years.

The 'needles' have begin to fall off. They are simply strips of green plastic, captured in the twisted metal 'branches', and must be getting brittle with age, and are breaking off. Each year we have to vacuum up the fallen 'needles' after setting and decorating the tree, and again after taking it down.

I suppose that in a few more years we will have a bald tree.

01-21-2018, 09:49 AM - 1 Like   #44015
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

On a whim I went looking at artificial Christmas trees.

Found this:

Pretty stoopit, I think.
01-21-2018, 09:51 AM - 2 Likes   #44016
Veteran Member

I suppose that in a few more years we will have a bald tree.

After many years with our old assemble branch by branch tree we bought a 3 section, pre-lit, with fold up branches fake tree..
Love it!
01-21-2018, 10:11 AM - 2 Likes   #44017
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Each year we have to vacuum up the fallen 'needles' after setting and decorating the tree, and again after taking it down.

That artificial tree gives you a wonderful imitation of a real tree!

01-21-2018, 10:13 AM - 1 Like   #44018
Pentaxian

Found this:

Pretty stoopit, I think.

They will not need a big, fast factory to make that one.
01-21-2018, 10:30 AM   #44019
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
Not sure what is worse; 42F or 40C? I think that I prefer the cold
Mmyes, but 42F isn't cold, is it? -42F would be cold. And I would much prefer 40C.

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
Went on holiday to the Kruger national park this Christmas and had 2 weeks of dry 40C.
Yep, was there last week. Only one day over 40C, then the rains arrived and cooled things right down to well under 30.
01-21-2018, 10:32 AM - 3 Likes   #44020
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Found this:

Pretty stoopit, I think.
Oh, an Australian Christmas tree?
01-21-2018, 12:07 PM - 1 Like   #44021
Pentaxian

We have a 6ft high artificial tree that poses a similar issue for getting into its long box (no bag!) and so I fold up the "branches" against the "trunk" - starting at the top - and then progressively tie them in against the "trunk" with nylon cable ties from the top to the bottom. Having done that I can get the tree with an "open" span of around 2ft 10" into a box that is about 10"x10" square cross-section - and I then, again using cable ties pulled up tight, finally get the box secured so I can carry it up to the attic. Not quick or easy but it works - as it did this afternoon !
01-21-2018, 12:50 PM   #44022
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Oh, an Australian Christmas tree?

Even in my over 50 years in Australia I never saw a Christmas tree as tacky as that.
01-21-2018, 02:17 PM   #44023
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Even in my over 50 years in Australia I never saw a Christmas tree as tacky as that.
Well, I was thinking more of the orientation than the tackiness
01-21-2018, 02:18 PM - 5 Likes   #44024
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

It might take some time to get this one warmed up.

01-21-2018, 05:11 PM - 1 Like   #44025
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
It might take some time to get this one warmed up.

Did you remember to plug in the block heater and battery warmer?