Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2018, 12:41 AM   #44266
Insanely humble
Loyal Site Supporter
savoche's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Lowlands of Norway
Posts: 12,859
QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
Ah, the joys of tinnitus... Years of loud music, firearms, loud music... Mine is a high-pitched whistle that is present 24/7/365.24, worse in the left ear.

For me, certain things can help to 'mask' it out. Bagpipes, didgeridoos, and some other oddball musical stuff - something about the frequency patterns gets into my brain and cancels out the whistle. Which is why my Youtube history has so many really weird music videos listed! Like this one:
Then this one might actually work as well. I had no idea they did throat singing in Sardinia/Sardegna before I bought a CD with these guys blindly back when good music shops still existed. I did not at all know what I had bought until I got home and popped it into the player. I couldn't stop laughing - and at the same time found the music very fascinating. Fascinating to the degree that my username is the name of one of the voices in the Sardinian song tradition



02-02-2018, 04:08 AM   #44267
Moderator
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter
Racer X 69's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Great Pacific Northwet
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,163
And people complain about bagpipes.

Sheesh!
02-02-2018, 05:49 AM - 2 Likes   #44268
Insanely humble
Loyal Site Supporter
savoche's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Lowlands of Norway
Posts: 12,859
People complain too much. They should solve the problem instead.

02-02-2018, 05:59 AM - 1 Like   #44269
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2011
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,241
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
People complain too much. They should solve the problem instead.


Do you mean people are from England?

02-02-2018, 06:04 AM - 3 Likes   #44270
Insanely humble
Loyal Site Supporter
savoche's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Lowlands of Norway
Posts: 12,859
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Do you mean people are from England?
They don't have a monopoly on complaining...

...while the Swedes (as opposed to the swedes) solve their problem by sending it on to others.

02-02-2018, 08:25 AM - 1 Like   #44271
Pentaxian
RoxnDox's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Gig Harbor, Washington, USA, Terra
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,647
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Then this one might actually work as well. I had no idea they did throat singing in Sardinia/Sardegna before I bought a CD with these guys blindly back when good music shops still existed. I did not at all know what I had bought until I got home and popped it into the player. I couldn't stop laughing - and at the same time found the music very fascinating. Fascinating to the degree that my username is the name of one of the voices in the Sardinian song tradition

Tenore Su Remediu de Orosei -Su Dillu- - YouTube
Interesting, I had no idea throat-singing was found anywhere in Europe. That clip didn't have quite the right sound, but it does give me more to look for, thank you!!
02-02-2018, 01:26 PM - 1 Like   #44272
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
BigMackCam's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North-East of England
Posts: 11,892
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
... recently bought an Aldi "Macaulay" brand to try... will report back
I'm reporting back on my Aldi-bought haggis, which turned out to be "Halls" and not "Macaulay" brand...

It was very nice indeed, but not as peppery as I'd have liked. I remedied that by seasoning my beef stock gravy with a healthy dose of freshly-ground black pepper, and that added the "kick" it needed.

Would have been nicer still with a small glass of decent single malt whisky, but it was a little early in the day for imbibing - even by my relaxed standards
02-02-2018, 02:34 PM - 2 Likes   #44273
Pentaxian
RoxnDox's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Gig Harbor, Washington, USA, Terra
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,647
And now for something completely different...


(hey, it's not bagpipes. Or haggis, lutefisk, vegemite, or any of those other ethnic "foods" this thread keeps mentioning!)

02-02-2018, 03:59 PM   #44274
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter
aslyfox's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Topeka, Kansas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,833
Sad news

no matter how you look at it

Nigel, the world's loneliest bird, dies next to the concrete decoy he loved - The Washington Post

whether it was its demise and/or its sexless life caused by the treachery of the humans who lured it to its locale

sad news indeed

On Thursday, Friends of Mana Island posted an original poem dedicated to the lonely castaway:
To Nigel

You stayed awhile on Mana Island,
Attracted by your concrete mates

You built a nest, you did your best
But only Norman dropped on by.

We weeded, we painted, we sprayed guano around.
We hoped you’d find the real thing.

Three newbies arrived, a Christmas surprise,
But suddenly you are gone.

RIP ‘no mates’ Nigel

[
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
. . . Btw, there's a prize for coming up with a theme we haven't touched on yet. You can see it as part of the test.
and perhaps a new theme for the thread - Scientists misleading birds ?? ]

Last edited by aslyfox; 02-02-2018 at 04:16 PM.
02-02-2018, 04:34 PM   #44275
Moderator
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
MarkJerling's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wairarapa, New Zealand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,143
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
no matter how you look at it

Nigel, the world's loneliest bird, dies next to the concrete decoy he loved - The Washington Post

whether it was its demise and/or its sexless life caused by the treachery of the humans who lured it to its locale

sad news indeed

On Thursday, Friends of Mana Island posted an original poem dedicated to the lonely castaway:
To Nigel

You stayed awhile on Mana Island,
Attracted by your concrete mates

You built a nest, you did your best
But only Norman dropped on by.

We weeded, we painted, we sprayed guano around.
We hoped you’d find the real thing.

Three newbies arrived, a Christmas surprise,
But suddenly you are gone.

RIP ‘no mates’ Nigel

[

and perhaps a new theme for the thread - Scientists misleading birds ?? ]
Pretty sad. Three other real birds have now nested there, so with luck Nigel's lone stand may yet bear fruit.
02-02-2018, 04:52 PM - 1 Like   #44276
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter
aslyfox's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Topeka, Kansas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,833
Laments for " No Mates " Nigel:

Glengarry's Lament - Bing video

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=British+Lord+Lovat%27s+Lament+Bagpipes+...9&&FORM=VDRVRV

as I understand it, the Scottish heritage is strong in New Zealand

Last edited by aslyfox; 02-02-2018 at 05:01 PM.
02-02-2018, 05:31 PM - 1 Like   #44277
Pentaxian
robtcorl's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: St Louis, MO
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 7,690
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
as I understand it, the Scottish heritage is strong in New Zealand
Hope like heck we're not talking bagpipes too, if so, then no wonder gannet birds avoid the place.
02-02-2018, 11:24 PM   #44278
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2011
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,241
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I'm reporting back on my Aldi-bought haggis, which turned out to be "Halls" and not "Macaulay" brand...

It was very nice indeed, but not as peppery as I'd have liked. I remedied that by seasoning my beef stock gravy with a healthy dose of freshly-ground black pepper, and that added the "kick" it needed.

Would have been nicer still with a small glass of decent single malt whisky, but it was a little early in the day for imbibing - even by my relaxed standards


Halls was a brand of soft drink where I grew up. One of the local brands that the big US companies did not like to compete with, so bought them out, and flattened the market with their homogenised, any colour you like as ling as it is black, products.
02-02-2018, 11:29 PM   #44279
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2011
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,241
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
no matter how you look at it

Nigel, the world's loneliest bird, dies next to the concrete decoy he loved - The Washington Post

whether it was its demise and/or its sexless life caused by the treachery of the humans who lured it to its locale

sad news indeed

On Thursday, Friends of Mana Island posted an original poem dedicated to the lonely castaway:
To Nigel

You stayed awhile on Mana Island,
Attracted by your concrete mates

You built a nest, you did your best
But only Norman dropped on by.

We weeded, we painted, we sprayed guano around.
We hoped you’d find the real thing.

Three newbies arrived, a Christmas surprise,
But suddenly you are gone.

RIP ‘no mates’ Nigel

[

and perhaps a new theme for the thread - Scientists misleading birds ?? ]


Can anyone find a prior reference to throat singing?
02-02-2018, 11:35 PM   #44280
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2011
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,241
Defrosting the freezer this morning. Been meaning to do it for weeks. Saturday is good because the fridge is at its emptiest for the week, we go shopping for food on Saturday. Took the freezer stuff and put it in the other fridge and turned off the freezer with the frost. In 30 minutes lots of icy bits are falling off, so it is not taking as long as I expected. I should have the freezer back running abut the time MrsTim is getting up.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
bacon, bagpipes, beer, breakfast, canada, catch 22, cheese, drink, dslr, ford, general talk, gin, guns, igunaq, k-3, k-mount, k3, kids, lutefisk, lycra, marital relations, pentax k-3, possums, sandwich, scotch, shirley, snoring, spam, squirrels, toilet, tokyo
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
why I will buy a K3 chicagojohn Pentax K-3 80 09-18-2016 08:42 AM
Suggestion Neutralize the 'why I won't buy a k-3' thread crewl1 Site Suggestions and Help 61 10-04-2014 05:08 PM
Why I Won't Be Buying A K5IIs Racer X 69 Pentax K-5 40 02-03-2014 08:12 PM
Why I don't buy Pentax lenses keyser Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 44 12-20-2012 01:58 AM
I feel so old: 8 things the facebook gen won't buy Nesster General Talk 27 04-22-2012 11:01 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:47 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top