Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108795 Likes Search this Thread
02-20-2018, 07:18 AM   #44596
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Can't remember the last time I was on any sort of public transport, so I'm behind the times yet again.
I base all my transportational need on public transport. My 1 year bus pass costs around $900. Cheap. My bus stop is a 4 minute walk away, the ride to the city centre is less than 20 minutes, and there are 18 (I think) departures an hour each direction in peak hours, down to 12 the rest of the day.

The metro is quicker, but that's a 12 minute walk away and less frequent.

Oh, and between 1 and 5 AM there's only one bus every half hour each direction. But if I'm out at that time of day I usually feel the need to walk home anyway...

Still, the area I live in is not very urbane. A ten minute walk takes me into the woods - proper woods that cover some 300 sq km/115 sq mi (Marka, Oslo - Wikipedia)

02-20-2018, 07:26 AM   #44597
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Trains?
Yep, that's an "el loco"

Buses too. But they rely on being connected to the grid.
Trolleybuses are sort of a crossover between bus and tram. Makes sense as long as they have an engine that can take them around obstacles. Trams are quite useless at that... Around here the trams share the street with other vehicles. Which leads to total chaos if one breaks down in the wrong spot and blocks all the other trams. Which in turn block all other traffic. Yay.
02-20-2018, 07:28 AM   #44598
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

The KiloCycle. 0 to 60 mph in 0.8 seconds.
But does it count if there's no sound?
02-20-2018, 07:38 AM   #44599
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In the US mass transit is generally a joke outside of major metropolitan areas

It is as bad as travelling by rail

OR travelling between cities via buses

Unfortunately

02-20-2018, 08:13 AM - 1 Like   #44600
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
But does it count if there's no sound?

It makes a sound. Listen closely.

Not quite the racket that a top fuel bike makes though.

02-20-2018, 08:17 AM - 1 Like   #44601
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Still a long way to go before electric can outpace a top fuel car though.

02-20-2018, 08:18 AM   #44602
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Still at work, so there's definitely no sound! Besides, I'm not sure I can differentiate it from my tinnitus

Will check it out later, though

02-20-2018, 04:59 PM - 1 Like   #44603
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not quite the racket that a top fuel bike makes though.

Larry McBride Best Run on New Top Fuel Bike! - YouTube
Haven`t been to Budds Creek in ages.
02-20-2018, 06:43 PM - 1 Like   #44604
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is almost as good as Bacon.
02-20-2018, 11:09 PM   #44605
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
In the US mass transit is generally a joke outside of major metropolitan areas

It is as bad as travelling by rail

OR travelling between cities via buses

Unfortunately

I once was travelling to US and had two events I would go to a week apart, one on east coast, other on west coast. So I looked at the idea of travelling on the ground just to see the places that are not airports or the spot places the event I go to are at. But I was not in a position to drive. So I looked at bus or train, and for that distance train is more attractive - get up and move about.

I could not find a route that could get me across the country in the week I had and at a fare less than the price of flying and paying for hotels for all the nights. And I would have had the inconveniences of travelling all the time. What a pit, because I have often thought a ground trip across US would be interesting.

Problems on the schedule were things like waiting a day or two at some changing station along the way because of the sparse timetable.

BTW: in the end I went to one of the events and then home. No-one in the US got my money for the other event or the trip between the events.
02-21-2018, 12:47 AM   #44606
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
I once was travelling to US and had two events I would go to a week apart, one on east coast, other on west coast. So I looked at the idea of travelling on the ground just to see the places that are not airports or the spot places the event I go to are at. But I was not in a position to drive. So I looked at bus or train, and for that distance train is more attractive - get up and move about.

I could not find a route that could get me across the country in the week I had and at a fare less than the price of flying and paying for hotels for all the nights. And I would have had the inconveniences of travelling all the time. What a pit, because I have often thought a ground trip across US would be interesting.

Problems on the schedule were things like waiting a day or two at some changing station along the way because of the sparse timetable.

BTW: in the end I went to one of the events and then home. No-one in the US got my money for the other event or the trip between the events.
I live in Kansas, to travel to Florida by rail, I would have to go east and North to Chicago, East to New York, then south to Florida

By road, I would go south east to Florida
02-21-2018, 03:39 AM   #44607
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

The rail system in North America is a joke. Routes and schedules are uncoordinated. I took the train from Seattle to Modesto, California once. Driving by car would have been faster, and cost less.

In the five years I worked as a truck driver I covered 800,000 miles. I passed through all of the Lower 48 and 6 Canadian provinces. It would take just over 3 days to go from Seattle to Miami.

I covered that route a hundred times or more.

You could have rented a car, taken your time and enjoyed the drive, seen the sights, and made the trip with no problem.
02-21-2018, 08:53 AM - 2 Likes   #44608
Veteran Member

I would love to take the train known as the Canadian from Toronto to Vancouver (passing throught the rockies) if you were to grab an upper and lower berth (so not an actual sleeper room just the hallway) for you and your sig other it costs just shy of 10 grand Canadian. and takes 3.5 days .. the observation car is amazing though and if you could book to hit northern Ontario and Rockies fall colours it would be stunning (I hear the winter trip is amazing) , the prestige class which gives you a sleeper and all the first class amenities including a personal concierge sounds like the Canadian version of the orient express 11-13k for 2 depending on when you travel ....hell i could take the orient express for these prices for the yearly istanbul run
02-21-2018, 08:53 AM - 6 Likes   #44609
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Our deck was burglarized last night.
A small antique stoneware crock was knocked over and broken, the only thing taken was a fresh suet cake.
The wire suet holder is hard for me to open.
I highly suspect the thief has small hands, wears a mask, is a friend to Rupert, and prefers pizza.

Last edited by robtcorl; 02-21-2018 at 11:27 AM. Reason: typo
02-21-2018, 11:26 AM   #44610
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
I highly suspect the thief has small hands, wears a mask, is a friend to Rupert, and prefers pizza.
Rupert didn't always keep the best company, did he...

Good thing he was never misled

Hope you'll get over the loss, though. And your feathered friends as well!