Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108807 Likes Search this Thread
03-02-2018, 07:18 AM   #44791
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
June, 1987 on a remote fishing lake in Ontario, about 50'N, the farthest north I've ever been, it seemed like it never got totally dark. Always at least a faint glow.
Yeah, that's the upside of living this far north. The summers are lovely - if not always warm and sunny. That, together with some other perks, make up for the winters. I think.

I've been north to 70°. The sun stays up from mid-May to mid-August - with the golden hour lasting all through the night

03-02-2018, 07:51 AM - 3 Likes   #44792
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
it is believed that the idea of " Daylight Savings Time " originated with Benjamin Franklin:

" Idea of Daylight Saving Time
The idea of daylight saving was first conceived by Benjamin Franklin during his sojourn as an American delegate in Paris in 1784, in an essay, "An Economical Project." "

History & info - Daylight Saving Time idea from Benjamin Franklin
03-02-2018, 08:08 AM   #44793
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
blanket - ha ha

ben wasn't trying for a longer day in terms of time

he wanted a day where more sunlight would be available for activities lit not by candles but by sunlight

so he wanted to adjust the habits of the people so you rose from slumber earlier and had more light available later in the day for activities in sunlight

that's in the letter he sent to the publication

". . . This event has given rise in my mind to several serious and important reflections. I considered that, if I had not been awakened so early in the morning, I should have slept six hours longer by the light of the sun, and in exchange have lived six hours the following night by candle-light; and, the latter being a much more expensive light than the former, my love of economy induced me to muster up what little arithmetic I was master of, and to make some calculations, which I shall give you, after observing that utility is, in my opinion the test of value in matters of invention, and that a discovery which can be applied to no use, or is not good for something, is good for nothing. "

" estimating seven hours per day as the medium quantity between the time of the sun's rising and ours, he rising during the six following months from six to eight hours before noon, and there being seven hours of course per night in which we burn candles, the account will stand thus;--
In the six months between the 20th of March and the 20th of September, there are
Nights 183
Hours of each night in which we burn candles 7
Multiplication gives for the total number of hours 1,281
These 1,281 hours multiplied by 100,000, the number of inhabitants, give 128,100,000
One hundred twenty-eight millions and one hundred thousand hours, spent at Paris by candle-light, which, at half a pound of wax and tallow per hour, gives the weight of 64,050,000
Sixty-four millions and fifty thousand of pounds, which, estimating the whole at-the medium price of thirty sols the pound, makes the sum of ninety-six millions and seventy-five thousand livres tournois 96,075,000
An immense sum! that the city of Paris might save every year, by the economy of using sunshine instead of candles."

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-02-2018 at 08:20 AM.
03-02-2018, 10:37 AM - 1 Like   #44794
Veteran Member

Enough on that topic.
Back to important stuff:
Bacon fat is the key to the best chocolate chip cookies

03-02-2018, 11:03 AM   #44795
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Enough on that topic.
Back to important stuff:
Bacon fat is the key to the best chocolate chip cookies
can't vouch for the historical accuracy of this but I did find this:

Ben Franklin's Sandwiches

Two eggs, your choice of Bacon, Sausage or Ham, plus Cheddar Cheese all on a 7” French or Wheat Roll - Topped with a touch of Mayo and a tad of Mustard, Lettuce, Tomato, light Onion and Black Pepper.

Bacon
, Tomato, Avocado & Jack Cheese
03-02-2018, 01:16 PM   #44796
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Yes, except it looks like on your shortest days at 40°S the sun is up roughly 8am to 5pm? Here at 60°N it's 10am to 3pm. With the sun 7 degrees above the horizon at noon.

The poor sods on the Svalbard islands have their last sunset of the year on October 25th, and first sunrise on February 16th. I'm not at all certain I could handle that OTOH, I wouldn't mind the period with no sunsets between April 20th and August 23rd
I don't think I'd cope well with that. The 07h47 to 17h00 days in mid winter is bad enough. Annie and I often remark how nice summer is when, in mid summer, we have 05h42 to 20h56 daylight hours.
03-02-2018, 02:34 PM - 1 Like   #44797
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Annie and I often remark how nice summer is when, in mid summer, we have 05h42 to 20h56 daylight hours.
If you ever come to Norway around mid summer you're welcome for a sundowner around 11 pm on our little island

Well, "our" little island

03-02-2018, 05:04 PM - 1 Like   #44798
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
One of my grand-uncles pulled his own tooth. Went down into the basement with a set of pliers. Came up rather pale. But it worked.

03-02-2018, 05:21 PM   #44799
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Time change April 11, more daylight................... in the evenings.

I think changing our clocks twice a year is stoopit.

It accomplishes absolutely nothing save for giving lazy people an excuse for being late in the spring time change.

And don't get me started on the morons who try to use it as an excuse for tardiness when the clocks are changed in the fall.
03-02-2018, 05:45 PM - 3 Likes   #44800
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah, that's the upside of living this far north.
And it can be the down side as well.
Walking out of a dimly lit bar at 2:30 AM to daylight... can be a brutal wake up... Been there, done it!
03-02-2018, 06:46 PM - 2 Likes   #44801
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Walking out of a dimly lit bar at 2:30 AM to daylight... can be a brutal wake up... Been there, done it!
That just gave me a shudder I can't easily shake.
03-02-2018, 06:57 PM - 1 Like   #44802
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That just gave me a shudder I can't easily shake.
Yes sir.
Gnawing off ones arm has not even set in yet!
03-02-2018, 11:24 PM   #44803
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I think changing our clocks twice a year is stoopit.

It accomplishes absolutely nothing save for giving lazy people an excuse for being late in the spring time change.

And don't get me started on the morons who try to use it as an excuse for tardiness when the clocks are changed in the fall.

But they had to stay up to the time when the time legally changes.

I once had to call police to a car rash event which happened at about the time change time. That was a bit difficult to answer the question - when did it happen.

Someone else had gone around the roundabout and not come out on the street, instead they went back of car into the property owner's fence and broke it down.
03-03-2018, 05:54 AM - 1 Like   #44804
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Yes sir.
Gnawing off ones arm has not even set in yet!

So she was coyote ugly?
03-03-2018, 06:01 AM   #44805
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
But they had to stay up to the time when the time legally changes.

I never do.

I either change them on the eve before going to bed, or the morning after while having morning coffee.

These days I am rarely up past 7pm, since it is my habit to rise at 2:15 am or so to get ready for work. No way I'm, staying up to midnight to accommodate a stoopit custom that I do not wish to be part of.