Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-10-2013, 10:32 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Hmm...That seemed to work *really* well for the rebadged - K10D with Samsung.

NOT.

Pentax K10D = Success
Samsung GX10 = Failure

It was 99% the same camera.
(The back of the GX10 camera had more "styling" and some slightly re-branded menuing)

Pentax gave Samsung everything it needed to make the GX10 a success, but no one wanted a Samsung DSLR.

Same for Ricoh. No one *really* wants Ricoh cameras except for the GR crowd and industrial folks.

Let Ricoh try and get a little DSLR cred. It's all they can do.
Maybe someday they *will* put Ricoh up front, and then maybe they can gain some ground, but I hope it's not too much like a Pentax.
I find this to be a VERY good point; whilst I'm using 4 different brands, I'm a brand agnostic.

They don't care about the existing user base. Such companies never do. As long as more customers are joining then leaving they're more then happy.

10-10-2013, 10:34 AM - 1 Like   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Cover-Up?

You know those screen protectors most buyers put on 'The day I got it and it's been on ever since!' (according to the blurb when they're trying to sell it)?
Well, mine has a black frame that nearly covers the Pentax lettering on the back LCD.
I'll bet it would cover 'Ricoh' just as well.
Not that it's deliberate, of course. Just protecting the LCD, in case I ever want to sell it.
Ron
10-10-2013, 10:37 AM - 3 Likes   #33
Pentaxian

To the OP, wow. You seem to care more about the name than about features and value. The K-3 continues to work with all your lenses and adds new features.
10-10-2013, 10:39 AM - 1 Like   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm more committed to the k mount than I am to Pentax. As far as I can recall, Hoya did stick their name on cameras, at least in the menus, as well. Anyway, Ricoh has a nice history and has made some very nice gear over time. The big thing to me is to see that the k mount is going to continue and be invested in. While Hoya continued the Pentax name, they certainly didn't make an investment in the brand necessary to see it grow and prosper.

10-10-2013, 10:40 AM - 2 Likes   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think it's a tribute to the Ricoh SLRs that were once quite popular and in the end, who really cares - it just sounds very, VERY silly, really childish and immature to ditch a fine piece of photographic equipment based on a mere nameplate. The only one shooting himself in the foot is you...
10-10-2013, 10:41 AM - 1 Like   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Well...to draw an automotive parallel...our Outback doesn't say FUJI on the front. Brands do matter, and must be defended and promoted.
No, but the Volkswagen Routan does say Mopar under the hood.

I see that as the same thing as this Ricoh on the back.
10-10-2013, 10:43 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
You know those screen protectors most buyers put on 'The day I got it and it's been on ever since!' (according to the blurb when they're trying to sell it)?
Well, mine has a black frame that nearly covers the Pentax lettering on the back LCD.
I'll bet it would cover 'Ricoh' just as well.
Not that it's deliberate, of course. Just protecting the LCD, in case I ever want to sell it.
Ron
Not sure how it works with the air-gapless LCD. I don't know what people are using for the k-5II also. The Ricoh tag is on the bottom frame, and the LCD is indented into the body a little bit. So putting a LCD cover that sits on the outer frame of the LCD will leave a gap between the cover and the LCD - which probably is not good for glare.

10-10-2013, 10:44 AM - 1 Like   #38
Col
Veteran Member

Wow OP, no wonder you have Likes: 0
10-10-2013, 10:47 AM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't care what is says if it does what I need it to do. It looks like this camera will do that and more.
10-10-2013, 10:51 AM - 4 Likes   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxdude Quote
I think ricoh just shot themselves in the foot.
Actually, I think Ricoh just took Pentax off of life support.
10-10-2013, 10:53 AM - 3 Likes   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
That can be interpreted in two ways...
10-10-2013, 10:54 AM - 1 Like   #42
Veteran Member

Hell, it might bring in more new buyers if it DIDN'T say Pentax on it at all. Those shopping for a first time dslr have been told by their friends with Canikon that Pentax is old school, unsexy, not updated, etc. At least with Ricoh it would be an unknown quantity and Ricoh could mount a slick advertising campaign to build brand awareness.

Anchoring your product with a brand is desirable, but when the brand itself becomes an anchor...

I like the Pentax name, but don't care if Ricoh's name is on the camera as well. Ricoh made capable camera's long before it bought Pentax.
10-10-2013, 10:55 AM - 1 Like   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
This ^^. Really, much ado about nothing.
10-10-2013, 10:58 AM - 2 Likes   #44

While you are painting over that Ricoh logo on the back you might want to paint over the K-3 on the front too.

K3 is the name of a hugely popular Euro girl group! Google K3 or K-3 and look at images. Way to go Ricoh!

Last edited by jeff knight; 10-10-2013 at 11:11 AM.
10-10-2013, 11:13 AM   #45
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by jeff knight Quote
While you are painting over that Ricoh logo on the back you might want to paint over the K-3 on the front too.

K3 is the name of a hugely popular Euro girl group! Google K3 or K-3 and look at images. Ricoh is pretty dumb.

They have a K3 phone so maybe when a pink Pentax K-3 comes out they will use it.