Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2018, 04:42 PM   #47416
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
My goals here are "the free K-1 thing" right now.
My wife worked from home today, so I could spend only so much time on the computer.
I made enough posts elsewhere to "be in second place" when dinner time came here, even though I'd posted only twice in this thread.
I think that is getting the job done.
I'm slacking today, not even in the top 10 list...

06-07-2018, 05:21 PM - 1 Like   #47417
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I'm slacking today, not even in the top 10 list...
06-07-2018, 06:00 PM   #47418
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Well Mark, I just sold my larger Weber smoker, so let's see...
Four Weber kettles, one small Weber smoker, and one Weber Q gas grill. Can't remember the last time I cooked on the gas Q.
Also a Kamado ceramic, and a Santa Maria grill. The Santa Maria needs to be sold too.
I killed the collecting bug when it ws young, not like some Weber nuts.
So it looks like you must keep them in the garage Bob.

So where do you and Mrs. Bob park your cars?
06-07-2018, 07:15 PM   #47419
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I must be smart, not just smarter. I play for the Enlightened, after all.

In the game called Ingress - mentioned by @VoiceOfReason a few posts back.
I've slacked off and only hit level 12 since then.

06-07-2018, 07:37 PM   #47420
Veteran Member

I am only averaging about 40 posts per day this month. You guys don't need to just live here, you know people are actually posting pictures that need comments. Heck even insults if you are looking at any of mine!
06-07-2018, 08:34 PM   #47421
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
I am only averaging about 40 posts per day this month. You guys don't need to just live here, you know people are actually posting pictures that need comments.
I am trying to comment on lots of pictures...

Heck even insults if you are looking at any of mine!
Got it!
06-07-2018, 09:23 PM   #47422
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
this thread is educational ?

or

is it cautionary

[ needs more " b " - bacon and bag pipe - IMHO, YMMV ]

---------- Post added 06-07-18 at 08:29 ----------

in case you haven't spent enough $$$

or accumulated enough student loan debt

In Australia students pay for Bachelor and Masters courses. But have a life time entitlement for enrolment in PhD (4 years FT equivalent), if they qualify for entry. Universities get a discount on the fee rate for all their PhD students, which is paid after graduation, if the student takes too long or does not finish. Even with that help, the financial outcomes for PhD study are insufficient for students to choose to spend years of their life trying to get one, because many employers look at a PhD as 'over qualified' not useful for a wide ranging role. Therefore, to get PhD students universities need to market internationally and also stump up the money from other sources to pay for scholarships.

06-07-2018, 09:28 PM   #47423
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Well Mark, I just sold my larger Weber smoker, so let's see...
Four Weber kettles, one small Weber smoker, and one Weber Q gas grill. Can't remember the last time I cooked on the gas Q.
Also a Kamado ceramic, and a Santa Maria grill. The Santa Maria needs to be sold too.
I killed the collecting bug when it ws young, not like some Weber nuts.

Over here that lot would fill the garden (the house and shed would be full of other stuff) and you would have nowhere to stand around and cook and the car would already be parked in the driveway or out in the street to enable quick getaway.

Believe it or not, car insurance costs extra if you say you keep the car in a garage.
06-08-2018, 12:23 AM   #47424
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
I've slacked off and only hit level 12 since then.
I crawled my way to 16 last month. AP started rolling in much faster after I got a new job in the city centre.
06-08-2018, 12:32 AM - 1 Like   #47425
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

You guys don't need to just live here

Good one
06-08-2018, 02:19 AM   #47426
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Believe it or not, car insurance costs extra if you say you keep the car in a garage.
That doesn’t make any sense. Parked outside a vehicle is at more risk to theft or vandalism.

And insurance companies are all about reducing risk and their obligation to pay claims.
06-08-2018, 04:51 AM - 3 Likes   #47427
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Remind us Bob - How many Webers do you have?
Are we talking carburetors?
06-08-2018, 04:57 AM   #47428
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
That doesn’t make any sense. Parked outside a vehicle is at more risk to theft or vandalism.

And insurance companies are all about reducing risk and their obligation to pay claims.

I know, I know.

Probably because the garages are the right size for English cars from the 40s. Also the roads and the carparks. But many people get big SUVs. The solution is either to make the facilities match the current size of vehicles, or require all vehicles to be of a size that fits the facilities. Many people say they could not freely open the doors of their car in the garage, with nothing else in the garage, so risk of scraping the side getting through the door.

Car insurance here is weird.
1. The car has comprehensive insurance only for named drivers. In Australia it is insured for any licenced driver who the owner has given permission to.
2. A car can be insured for private use, private and commuting to work or private and business use. If you have two places, such as one day here one day there, of work you need business insurance because commuting only allows you to drive to one place of work.
3. Carrying goods related to work counts as business, and so would void insurance, unless insured for business. A lady was caught by police for a minor traffic event. The police noticed a large number of cup cakes in the car and asked why she had so many cakes. She was delivering them from the bakery where she worked to some client. She was then charged with the quite serious offence of driving an uninsured vehicle.
In Australia normal policies say the car is insured so long as it is being used for a legal purpose. (And that seems to be interpreted as the purpose of the journey, not what one was doing at the time of the collision, such as driving through a red light - clearly an illegal purpose.)

It also seems here that insurance companies are in the old days of enforcing all kinds of 'caught ya's' and pedantic detail, rather than just covering themselves with slightly higher premiums, paying out on real events of damage that do not have classic indicators of fraud, saving money on the reduction in claim processing costs.

This is another of the medieval hangovers in the culture here, where it always seems to be assumed that the fiends are doing fiendish things, whereas in Australia there is much more trust and most people look for bigger ways to make their life better than spurious insurance claims - which mean they never actually get the money themselves anyway.
06-08-2018, 05:00 AM   #47429
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

looking for the Weber taste

you don't have to do it yourself any more:

" Give your tongs a rest.
Our experts are grilling delicious food on authentic Weber Charcoal Kettles.

Our Restaurant

The Weber Grill Restaurant is the result of over 60 years of Classic Outdoor Grilling—from the people who invented the Weber Charcoal kettle grill. You‘ll taste the difference that decades of grilling expertise make. More than a steakhouse & BBQ, our chefs are the grilling experts for seafood and vegetable specials as well. Our secret: a commitment to using quality ingredients, innovative recipes, honed grilling technique, and Weber charcoal kettles. We are especially proud of our Hand-Cut Black Angus Steaks, Wood-Smoked Barbecue, Fire-Inspired Seasonal Entrees, Charcoal Seared Burgers and Fresh Grilled Seafood. "

Chicago Restaurant
Indianapolis Restaurant
Lombard Restaurant
Schaumburg Restaurant
St. Louis Restaurant

Weber Grill Restaurant

---------- Post added 06-08-18 at 07:08 ----------

In Australia students pay for Bachelor and Masters courses. But have a life time entitlement for enrolment in PhD (4 years FT equivalent), if they qualify for entry. Universities get a discount on the fee rate for all their PhD students, which is paid after graduation, if the student takes too long or does not finish. Even with that help, the financial outcomes for PhD study are insufficient for students to choose to spend years of their life trying to get one, because many employers look at a PhD as 'over qualified' not useful for a wide ranging role. Therefore, to get PhD students universities need to market internationally and also stump up the money from other sources to pay for scholarships.
in the US publicly paid education is available to all through 12th grade. There are competing private/parochial schools as well No governmental funds are " supposed " to go to those schools

post high school ( 12th grade ), education is funded via scholarship/grants - athletic, academic or private, or by parents and/or student via their own funds and through student loans - private or government funded

then work or further schooling

2 year " community college " or

4 year college/university Bachelor's

+ 1 more year master's degree

+ 3 years after Bachelor's - doctorate PHD

Attorneys say we are awarded Doctorate " The Juris Doctor degree or Doctor of Law degree (J.D.), also known as the Doctor of Jurisprudence degree (D.Jur. or DJur)D Juris Doct " since law school is 3 years after earning the Bachelor's degree

some argue not the same since we don't do the " paperwork "

Last edited by aslyfox; 06-08-2018 at 05:15 AM.
06-08-2018, 05:11 AM   #47430
Veteran Member

1. The car has comprehensive insurance only for named drivers. In Australia it is insured for any licenced driver who the owner has given permission to.
When my daughter was here visiting earlier this year she borrowed my truck.
I warned her about the brake situation, my anti-lock brake sensors need replaced and at times there's a technique for stopping at low speeds.
She bumped a car in a parking lot, and she thought her insurance would cover it, but it was mine.
Haven't received my 6 month renewal yet to see if my rates went up.