Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108795 Likes Search this Thread
06-17-2018, 08:11 PM   #47971
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
You came close to 100 by this chain of posts wondering if you'd make it.
Really, I never noticed that

06-17-2018, 09:14 PM - 4 Likes   #47972
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Oh, completely unrelated, I'll point out that I dated a vegetarian - once. Not my proudest moment.

By what method, radio carbon or counting the rings?
06-17-2018, 09:15 PM   #47973
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
By what method, radio carbon or counting the rings?
That did make me laugh out quite loudly...
06-17-2018, 09:19 PM   #47974
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Good point.

I bet the vegetarians and vegans don't see it that way though.

Oh well. That much more steak, er, processed grass, for me.

If they do not see it that way, then I guess they need spectacles.

06-17-2018, 11:21 PM   #47975
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
80 posts today, is that excessive?
Nah...
06-17-2018, 11:22 PM - 1 Like   #47976
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I read a story the other day. A woman in Texas saw a rattlesnake in the flowerbed. Her husband came to the rescue and severed the snake's head with a shovel.

Knight in shining armor, right?

Our hero bends down to pick up the severed head and it bites him.

Wifey is a nurse, gives first aid, loads the quickly deteriorating warrior into the car and heads to hospital. Part way there she dials 911 and the send a helicopter to life flight the poor guy to a trauma unit well versed in snakebites.

Even though the snake wasn't very big it still became very serious because a living snake will strike, bite and withdraw. The decapitated snake no longer had a body to pull back, and nearly every drop of venom was injected into the dude.

Nearly killed him.
Ouch.

Shouldn't he be fined, too? If not for killing the snake then at least for his stupidity?
06-17-2018, 11:23 PM - 1 Like   #47977
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
I want to be irreverent too!
I'll check with my wife, but I'm fairly certain I am already.

06-17-2018, 11:31 PM - 2 Likes   #47978
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
So today was Father's Day. Wife want to take me to a movie so we went to see Solo. Being an old pro at marriage I picked a movie I knew that she would like. Then out to dinner and a 12 ounce prime rib.

We got married in 1976. We have been going to Star War movies together since 1977 when the first one came out. We had just purchased a new house and were so broke we had to save up for three weeks to afford the tickets. Since Star Wars came out we have purchased two houses, 14 or so automobiles, had 4 children, been scout leaders. coaches, and all the other normal parenting stuff. I once figured that we had probably changed some 15,000 diapers. Went on some epic family vacations too. One lasting 5 weeks and covering 9,100 miles of driving. Take that National Lampoon. We have been promoted to grandma and grandpa. We have become orphans and buried a son. Been one heck of a ride. All in all, a pretty normal life. It only becomes awesome when, in retrospect, you add it all up.

It looks like both us and Star Wars are still going pretty strong.
Nice résumé. And you're right - one should look back once in a while and add up the significant stuff. The sum will quickly be awesomeness

Well, not for me, I guess. Although I have seen all the three original Star Wars movies and one of the newer ones, none of them has been with my wife

06-17-2018, 11:57 PM - 3 Likes   #47979
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I'm pretty sure I saw one recently that was more like 2:1, but I can't remember who, and it definitely wasn't anything like LeROlls overall numbers.

If you do a lot of short posts thanking people for commenting etc, that really doesn't help your ratio. You don't get likes for just general hobnobbing and being a decent bloke.But that still adds a lot to the forum.
Yeah, I don't see much in it. But it's still nice to be able to congratulate someone based on that. Conversation was on the number of posts, and in particular about reaching a round number "milestone" which is theoretically even more irrelevant, so...

About LeRolls... 1. he's a very good shot 2. may I say that I *think* subject matter plays a role?
06-18-2018, 12:39 AM   #47980
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
may I say that I *think* subject matter plays a role?
Nah, you think?

06-18-2018, 01:53 AM - 1 Like   #47981
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Read an article on TechCrunch about Facebook's AI now "correcting" shots where people blink.

At least they are right about one thing: "It would be a little creepy, but that’s pretty standard for Facebook".
06-18-2018, 02:18 AM - 1 Like   #47982
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Shouldn't he be fined, too? If not for killing the snake then at least for his stupidity?
Well it isn’t illegal to dispatch a rattlesnake, they are considered a nuisance.

There is even the annual Rattlesnake Roundup out in Sweetwater, Texas. Thousands of snakes are collected and eaten each year.

But yes, it is pretty stupid to reach down to pick up a freshly killed venomous snake.
06-18-2018, 02:21 AM - 1 Like   #47983
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Facebook is an evil organism that must be stopped.
06-18-2018, 02:30 AM - 1 Like   #47984
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
With no interest in the World Cup, I went channel surfing.
Found Shirley's favorite, Blazing Saddles, been awhile, still hilarious.
Note, even if the USA was in the WC I would have no interest.
I'm with you there. We (Australia) are in the WC and, while I hope that we do well, I have no interest in watching. I stopped watching TV in 2010. I'd rather read a book.

I used to watch a lot of sport on TV, but then things changed, for me, in the early 1980s. Aussie rules changed from a sport into an entertainment. The administrators awarded themselves million dollar salaries, the players became full-time and the sport disappeared. Instead of the clubs recruiting from their support base, they brought in the draft. That was designed to equalise results. Ticket prices went through the roof. The administrators sold TV rights for huge sums. It became as authentic as TV wrestling. Sports grounds were sold for real estate development. Ugh! Ugly.
06-18-2018, 02:34 AM   #47985
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This just isn't right.

Are the pink bits Spam?