Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2014, 02:11 PM   #5116
Site Supporter
Jean Poitiers's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lost in translation ...
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 16,551
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
... And you forgot about the scotch! What's more important than scotch? With a dash of good water? ...
No, a good dash of Mountain Dew ... go ask Joel B. !!!

If a "K-3" were a drink, it would be a mix of what (?!) ... I used to like "7&7" in my mis-spent days of youthful, ignorant bliss ... again, _______________, fill in the blank.

02-10-2014, 02:15 PM   #5117
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 20,450
QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
Bourbon, sir.
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Isn't that the stuff you're supposed to mix with coke? Or with Coke? I'm never sure.

Of course, bourbon casks are nice for ageing Scotch in
Never insult a good sour mash with the introduction of anything sweeter than branch water.

[EDIT]: I just read your appended reply
02-10-2014, 02:22 PM   #5118
Veteran Member
Joel B's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,336
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
If a "K-3" were a drink, it would be a mix of what (?!)
Everclear and orange juice 50/50!!! Actually about killed a friend once with that concoction! He was thinking it was a proper drink, took a big swig and about choked! Oh the language!! I still blush when I think of it!
P.S. I gave up that silliness after highschool
02-10-2014, 02:27 PM   #5119
Inactive Account




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Orleans
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,053
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
If a "K-3" were a drink, it would be a mix of what (?!)
A 24 year old scotch with whiskey stones (weather resistance) served in an easy to hold magnesium alloy tumbler with a dash of dissappointment (Ricoh stamped on the bottom of the tumbler).

02-10-2014, 02:31 PM   #5120
Site Supporter
Jean Poitiers's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lost in translation ...
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 16,551
QuoteOriginally posted by Joel B Quote
Everclear and orange juice 50/50!!! ...
I thought I said a "drink" ... not a "drain cleaner" !!! Yikes ... scary stuff there J
02-10-2014, 02:34 PM   #5121
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,434
QuoteOriginally posted by waterfall Quote
Are you shooting through viewfinder or live view?
viewfinder, live view is extremely inconvenient when shooting animals with longer lenses

when it comes to wildlife I need a reasonable amount of point and shoot accuracy because of moving target factor

what I don't expect is the AF (single fixed center point) to lock on random clumps of grasses or tree limbs nearly 20-25% of the image frame away.

ever since the summer when I went to Yellowstone and have really advanced my pursuit of wildlife, I've wanted to throw my damn camera in the grabage a few times when it's missed critical images, preferring to lock onto random objects rather than the subject. it's especially apparent on smoother furred or feather wildlife where I guess there's not enough edges for the PDAF to understand what it's supposed to focus on. its further exacerbated but lighter to medium toned birds or animals.

I can't tell you how absolutely unnerving it is to raise your camera to take a picture knowing that there's an 80% that the picture will be worthless because the AF picks a different target. It's bordering on enough to make me decide I'm not buying a K3 because I'm buying a d800 instead

I have read a couple articles across the web where this phenomenon has been documented, so I know it's not a photographer issue. it's actually another reason I'm hesitant to buy a K3. I'm not entirely convinced Ricoh has fixed this atrocious error.

There was another thread on here entitled "why is the K3 considered a pro camera?" the answer is very simple, until ricoh fixes their AF failure rate, no sports/wildlife shooter would consider it.

I'm stuck with my K5iis right now, so ricoh has about another year to come out with the next gen camera that addresses these AF issues. If they don't, I can see a big chunk of my budget going toward a system that functions beyond 2 sec MUP images.
02-10-2014, 02:35 PM   #5122
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Alabama
Posts: 2,450
QuoteOriginally posted by Joel B Quote
Everclear and orange juice 50/50!!! Actually about killed a friend once with that concoction! He was thinking it was a proper drink, took a big swig and about choked! Oh the language!! I still blush when I think of it!
P.S. I gave up that silliness after highschool
I thought Everclear was solely a cleaning fluid?
02-10-2014, 02:38 PM - 1 Like   #5123
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Manteca, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,653
QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
I thought Everclear was solely a cleaning fluid?
for your innards.

02-10-2014, 02:49 PM   #5124
Site Supporter
savoche's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Lowlands of Norway
Posts: 8,704
Ok, to sum up: Everclear and other sorts of bourbon mix well with orange juice and pickled herring?

No wonder you guys eat a lot of possum stew!

Just leave the single malt Scotch out of this madness.

I'm waaay too upset to buy a K-3 now!

---------- Post added 2014-02-10 at 22:53 ----------

Oh, and Joel B will never get anywhere near my bottles of Scotch!

My precious...
02-10-2014, 02:58 PM   #5125
Site Supporter
waterfall's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Northern Minnesota
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,772
QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
viewfinder, live view is extremely inconvenient when shooting animals with longer lenses

when it comes to wildlife I need a reasonable amount of point and shoot accuracy because of moving target factor

what I don't expect is the AF (single fixed center point) to lock on random clumps of grasses or tree limbs nearly 20-25% of the image frame away.

ever since the summer when I went to Yellowstone and have really advanced my pursuit of wildlife, I've wanted to throw my damn camera in the grabage a few times when it's missed critical images, preferring to lock onto random objects rather than the subject. it's especially apparent on smoother furred or feather wildlife where I guess there's not enough edges for the PDAF to understand what it's supposed to focus on. its further exacerbated but lighter to medium toned birds or animals.

I can't tell you how absolutely unnerving it is to raise your camera to take a picture knowing that there's an 80% that the picture will be worthless because the AF picks a different target. It's bordering on enough to make me decide I'm not buying a K3 because I'm buying a d800 instead

I have read a couple articles across the web where this phenomenon has been documented, so I know it's not a photographer issue. it's actually another reason I'm hesitant to buy a K3. I'm not entirely convinced Ricoh has fixed this atrocious error.

There was another thread on here entitled "why is the K3 considered a pro camera?" the answer is very simple, until ricoh fixes their AF failure rate, no sports/wildlife shooter would consider it.

I'm stuck with my K5iis right now, so ricoh has about another year to come out with the next gen camera that addresses these AF issues. If they don't, I can see a big chunk of my budget going toward a system that functions beyond 2 sec MUP images.
For what it's worth, my K30 AF does not present your issues. For example, in my Forum album I have a snowy egret shot from about 75 yards, and the camera correctly focused on the white bird, with reeds presenting as foreground background. There is a single reed crossing the near eyeball, but the bird and the eye are sharp. So maybe the next gen focus engine after K5iis was improved? I don't have a satisfactory answer or tip for you. Your images are superb, BTW. Sad you have to trash many.
02-10-2014, 02:59 PM   #5126
Veteran Member
Joel B's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,336
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
I thought I said a "drink" ... not a "drain cleaner" !!! Yikes ... scary stuff there J
Cleans more than drains!! Never trust a drink that can catch fire!!
02-10-2014, 03:03 PM   #5127
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Manteca, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,653
QuoteOriginally posted by Joel B Quote
Cleans more than drains!! Never trust a drink that can catch fire!!
I wouldnt go that far, I love 151. It burns outside the body and inside!
02-10-2014, 03:05 PM   #5128
Veteran Member
Joel B's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,336
Everclear, and anything under the Hawkeye brand is filtered through the best used gym socks made by man!! Basically legalized moon shine!!! Little better than mouthwash and lacks the minty freshness!!
02-10-2014, 03:06 PM   #5129
Site Supporter
waterfall's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Northern Minnesota
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,772
QuoteOriginally posted by j2photos Quote
I wouldnt go that far, I love 151. It burns outside the body and inside!
Also works well as a wound disinfectant. Possibly useful as lens cleaner solution.
02-10-2014, 03:09 PM   #5130
Site Supporter
Jean Poitiers's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lost in translation ...
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 16,551
QuoteOriginally posted by Joel B Quote
Cleans more than drains!! Never trust a drink that can catch fire!!
Kind of like well water that catches fire after there's been "fraking" in the area ... The government in France is wrestling with this issue.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
arctic cold, bacon, basque paella, beer, caffeine, camera, canada, catch 22, cheddar, cheese, dachsunds, dew, drink, dslr, gin, igunaq, k-mount, k3, kids, lutefisk, marital relations, mother, mountain, norm, patent, pentax k-3, pentax lens, possums, research, ricoh, sandwich, scotch, shirley, snoring, spam, toilet, tokyo, veggies, vermont, world
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
why I will buy a K3 chicagojohn Pentax K-3 80 09-18-2016 08:42 AM
Suggestion Neutralize the 'why I won't buy a k-3' thread crewl1 Site Suggestions and Help 61 10-04-2014 05:08 PM
Why I Won't Be Buying A K5IIs Racer X 69 Pentax K-5 40 02-03-2014 08:12 PM
Why I don't buy Pentax lenses keyser Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 44 12-20-2012 01:58 AM
I feel so old: 8 things the facebook gen won't buy Nesster General Talk 27 04-22-2012 11:01 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:05 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top