Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2014, 04:25 PM   #5146
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jac Quote
If you start in on gardening, you won't have time to decide on a silver or a black K3.
Tasty home grown treats or a camera that will bring ridicule down on my head (more than normal) because of it not being a canikon and owned by a copier company!! Decisions-decisions!

02-10-2014, 05:06 PM   #5147
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Silver without a doubt, that way it would match my gardening tools.
02-10-2014, 05:32 PM   #5148
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
How about a shout out for the old guys! Ole Einar Bjoerndalen! 40yrs old and stomping them all in the 10km Biathalon!!!! I may be weird but I root for who I like regardless of country!!! By the way I couldn't shoot half that well on a bench with sandbags!
02-10-2014, 05:39 PM   #5149
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Joel B Quote
How about a shout out for the old guys! Ole Einar Bjoerndalen! 40yrs old and stomping them all in the 10km Biathalon!!!! I may be weird but I root for who I like regardless of country!!! By the way I couldn't shoot half that well on a bench with sandbags!
We havent had a chance to see it on the west coast.

02-10-2014, 06:06 PM   #5150
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I may be weird but I root for who I like regardless of country!!! By the way I couldn't shoot half that well on a bench with sandbags!
I'm with you. It's not the flag that's competing; it's the athletes. But I did notice that Canada is, quite probably temporarily, at the top of the medal standing. I did notice that. I also noted that no one in the opening ceremony was carrying a K3 but they were probably hiding behind the Japanese flag-bearer.

Last edited by jac; 02-10-2014 at 06:19 PM.
02-10-2014, 06:06 PM   #5151
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jac Quote
If you start in on gardening, you won't have time to decide on a silver or a black K3.

---------- Post added 02-10-14 at 05:55 PM ----------

That is my most used phrase with my boys (who ought to be grand children but ....) "I'm old and I'm grumpy so suck it up". Along with "I'm right and you're wrong, I'm big and you're little and there's nothing you can do about."
I'm embarrassed to admit that I've turned into my mother. I use "because I'm the mama, that's why!"
02-10-2014, 06:13 PM - 1 Like   #5152
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
I'm embarrassed to admit that I've turned into my mother. I use "because I'm the mama, that's why!"
My most frequent is when they tell me its not fair, i come back with "Life aint fair, get over it"

I have turned into my parents.

02-10-2014, 06:14 PM   #5153
Veteran Member

Back in pre-retirement I was a construction supe. I used the same argument, modified slightly: do it my way or it is the highway.
02-10-2014, 06:23 PM   #5154
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by j2photos Quote
My most frequent is when they tell me its not fair, i come back with "Life aint fair, get over it"

I have turned into my parents.
Oh, I use that one too. And my 13 year old daughter hates me. According to her exclamations, she's hated me for at least 3-4 years now. I am SO proud! I MUST be doing something right!
02-10-2014, 06:26 PM   #5155
Veteran Member

Oh, I use that one too. And my 13 year old daughter hates me. According to her exclamations, she's hated me for at least 3-4 years now. I am SO proud! I MUST be doing something right!
Hate just means you are a good Mom
02-10-2014, 06:32 PM   #5156
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
I wont buy a k3 because the improved autofocus might actually get my subject in focus instead of the ^(*^&*^(* reeds to the back and right of it. proper focus would then actually result in more potential keepers and triple my workflow time.

right now I can count on my POS k5iis AF to screw up nearly 8 out of 10 times and render useless OOF blobs. this makes culling my photos easy

out of 194 pics I took on Saturday, 44!!!!! were in focus and those were the ones after I switched over to manual focus.

what good is an AF camera if it can't focus? geez, how tough is it for center point AF to actually focus on the intended target, not the stupid reeds or grasses to the right or left a half a body length, or the REFLECTION!!!! in the water (seriously?). And yes, I have calibrated my lens 3! times to make sure it's not BF/FF. it's spot on, but the damn crappy PDAF hates fur and feathers.

and heaven forbid I actually have branches in front of my subject, that's just not happening
QuoteOriginally posted by waterfall Quote
Are you shooting through viewfinder or live view?
Hey you two! On topic!

I have 3 variants of oranges in my front yard, which people pillage all the time (P***es me off ) In my backyard I have kumquats, grapefruits, lemons, limes, and 2 other variants of oranges. The front yard I can SORTA deal with. When I find people in backyard I lose it, how dare they come in my backyard!
Well I guess there are some good things about California, citrus trees in your yard!

But.

Those pesky fruit thieves?

I have 6.17 acres in the country. If I catch someone on it, and they are not invited, well:

What?!? Noooo!!!!
There was snow in Virginia on I-77 from the North Carolina line to Wytheville today.

And it was good!

QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
Some Philistines will mix anything with Coke (even -- <blech> scotch). Good bourbon (sippin' whiskey) ought not to be mixed with anything, except maybe the legendary Branch Water.

Can't buy a K-3 until Branch Water appears in Miami.
I never mix pop with good booze. Ever!

What kind of tree does this Branch Water come from?

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Never insult a good sour mash with the introduction of anything sweeter than branch water.
Again with the Branch Water.

From where does it come?

QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
viewfinder, live view is extremely inconvenient when shooting animals with longer lenses

when it comes to wildlife I need a reasonable amount of point and shoot accuracy because of moving target factor

what I don't expect is the AF (single fixed center point) to lock on random clumps of grasses or tree limbs nearly 20-25% of the image frame away.

ever since the summer when I went to Yellowstone and have really advanced my pursuit of wildlife, I've wanted to throw my damn camera in the grabage a few times when it's missed critical images, preferring to lock onto random objects rather than the subject. it's especially apparent on smoother furred or feather wildlife where I guess there's not enough edges for the PDAF to understand what it's supposed to focus on. its further exacerbated but lighter to medium toned birds or animals.

I can't tell you how absolutely unnerving it is to raise your camera to take a picture knowing that there's an 80% that the picture will be worthless because the AF picks a different target. It's bordering on enough to make me decide I'm not buying a K3 because I'm buying a d800 instead

I have read a couple articles across the web where this phenomenon has been documented, so I know it's not a photographer issue. it's actually another reason I'm hesitant to buy a K3. I'm not entirely convinced Ricoh has fixed this atrocious error.

There was another thread on here entitled "why is the K3 considered a pro camera?" the answer is very simple, until ricoh fixes their AF failure rate, no sports/wildlife shooter would consider it.

I'm stuck with my K5iis right now, so ricoh has about another year to come out with the next gen camera that addresses these AF issues. If they don't, I can see a big chunk of my budget going toward a system that functions beyond 2 sec MUP images.
That's it! I'm callin' a m0dUlAt0r!

I thought Everclear was solely a cleaning fluid?
Everclear makes a great fruit spodie! Lots of fresh fruit cut up, then soaked overnight in the Everclear. Then eat the fruit.

Mmmmm . . . . . tasty!

QuoteOriginally posted by waterfall Quote
For what it's worth, my K30 AF does not present your issues. For example, in my Forum album I have a snowy egret shot from about 75 yards, and the camera correctly focused on the white bird, with reeds presenting as foreground background. There is a single reed crossing the near eyeball, but the bird and the eye are sharp. So maybe the next gen focus engine after K5iis was improved? I don't have a satisfactory answer or tip for you. Your images are superb, BTW. Sad you have to trash many.
M0dErAt0R! Where are you?

Never trust a drink that can catch fire!!
I love the Flaming Moe!

02-10-2014, 06:40 PM   #5157
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Hey you two! On topic!

Well I guess there are some good things about California, citrus trees in your yard!

But.

I have 6.17 acres in the country. If I catch someone on it, and they are not invited, well:

There was snow in Virginia on I-77 from the North Carolina line to Wytheville today.

And it was good!

From where does it come?

Everclear makes a great fruit spodie! Lots of fresh fruit cut up, then soaked overnight in the Everclear. Then eat the fruit.

Mmmmm . . . . . tasty!

I love the Flaming Moe!
Feel better? Caught up?
02-10-2014, 06:42 PM   #5158
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Feel better? Caught up?
~ Yup. ~
02-10-2014, 06:43 PM   #5159
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Hey you two! On topic!

But.

And it was good!

From where does it come?

Mmmmm . . . . . tasty!

I love the Flaming Moe!
Lordy, Lordy, such bother about a little techy discussion to prevent or cause a fellow forum member from the dreaded purchase of a K3. Nomadking needs advice that I cannot provide. He is ready to "Not Buy a K3." He seems poised to buy, pause for effect, Canikon. Well I am asking for first right of refusal on Pentax primes, especially his 300!

I won't buy a K3 until I buy the 300mm.
02-10-2014, 06:44 PM   #5160
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Stop! friggin posting so I can catch up. Went to bed and to work. Got back to 3+ pages. that just keep rolling like a mud-slide.
« AF1 vs AF2 | - »