Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2014, 08:37 AM   #5221
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Alabama
Posts: 2,450
Well, I briefly browsed through the pics I got from Wizard World. They're ok, but not great, which I expected. The lighting was difficult. We were pretty high up & far back. They were filming for a reality TV show as well. My longest lens is my 55-300. The reach was ok, but the aperture too small to keep iso down & shutter speed high enough. Plus, I was super tired. After holding the camera for a while, my arms shook. All in all, I learned stuff, which is the point, right?

02-11-2014, 09:32 AM   #5222
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Manteca, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,653
QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
Well, I briefly browsed through the pics I got from Wizard World. They're ok, but not great, which I expected. The lighting was difficult. We were pretty high up & far back. They were filming for a reality TV show as well. My longest lens is my 55-300. The reach was ok, but the aperture too small to keep iso down & shutter speed high enough. Plus, I was super tired. After holding the camera for a while, my arms shook. All in all, I learned stuff, which is the point, right?
Practice makes perfect. Looking forward to seeing shots when you decide to post some.
02-11-2014, 10:11 AM   #5223
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Alabama
Posts: 2,450
QuoteOriginally posted by j2photos Quote
Practice makes perfect. Looking forward to seeing shots when you decide to post some.
I might post some in here. The forum at large scares me.
02-11-2014, 10:13 AM - 1 Like   #5224
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Parallax's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: South Dakota
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 15,591
QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
The forum at large scares me.
No reason it should. You're among friends.

02-11-2014, 10:15 AM   #5225
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 27,263
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
You're among friends.
Define friends...


Steve
02-11-2014, 10:18 AM   #5226
Moderator
Racer X 69's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Great Pacific Northwet
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,596
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
And I'm not even mentioning beavers here, since I'm sure the Canadian ones are faster!
The Canadian beavers?
02-11-2014, 10:23 AM   #5227
jac
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Clyde River, Nunavut, Canada
Posts: 2,363
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
I gotta get a life ... Adam just awarded me a "raffle" ticket ... if I win the K-3, do I have to keep it ?!

Or worse, actually use it ?! J
Hang on to it. You may win a lifetime supply of Ricoh logo labels you can use for defacing Pentax products. Second prize is an all-expense-paid trip to Texas to see the "Running of the Armadilo's". Similar to the "Running of the Bulls" in Spain but without the carnage.

---------- Post added 02-11-14 at 12:29 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote

And I'm not even mentioning beavers here, since I'm sure the Canadian ones are faster!
Tempting. But this is a family forum.
02-11-2014, 10:31 AM   #5228
Moderator
Racer X 69's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Great Pacific Northwet
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,596
QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
The forum at large scares me.

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
No reason it should. You're among friends.
^^^ What he said. ^^^^

02-11-2014, 10:39 AM   #5229
Site Supporter
savoche's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Lowlands of Norway
Posts: 8,488
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
The Canadian beavers?
Yep, they're fiercely quick. Got my Spotmatic across the Atlantic in just a couple of weeks, they did. Expensive, but fast they are.
02-11-2014, 10:52 AM - 1 Like   #5230
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,434
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Yep, they're fiercely quick. Got my Spotmatic across the Atlantic in just a couple of weeks, they did. Expensive, but fast they are.
and beavers can be deadly, just ask that drunk guy in Belarus who tried to photograph a beaver, the bugger bit him in the femoral artery and he bled out before his buddies could get him to a hospital. so the morale of that story is, when drunk don't mess with a beaver!

Beaver Bites Man To Death: Animal Bit Through Fisherman's Artery As He Was Taking Its Picture In Belarus

in other thread topics... did someone say ABBA?

I have their 3 CD International Hits collection I picked up when stationed in Frankfurt Germany in the 90's

If my house was burning, that, my computer and my cat would be the 3 things I HAD to save.
02-11-2014, 10:54 AM   #5231
Moderator
Racer X 69's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Great Pacific Northwet
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,596
QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
Well, I briefly browsed through the pics I got from Wizard World. They're ok, but not great, which I expected. The lighting was difficult. We were pretty high up & far back. They were filming for a reality TV show as well. My longest lens is my 55-300. The reach was ok, but the aperture too small to keep iso down & shutter speed high enough. Plus, I was super tired. After holding the camera for a while, my arms shook. All in all, I learned stuff, which is the point, right?
I find that if presented with that type of difficult conditions I underexpose a bit, then make adjustments in Photoshop later. Saved lots of shots that way!
02-11-2014, 11:01 AM   #5232
Site Supporter
savoche's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Lowlands of Norway
Posts: 8,488
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I find that if presented with that type of difficult conditions I underexpose a bit, then make adjustments in Photoshop later. Saved lots of shots that way!
Agreed. Underexposing at high ISO does give noise. But noise I can live with, but not blurry pictures.

Is that why I won't buy a K-3?
02-11-2014, 11:02 AM   #5233
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Alabama
Posts: 2,450
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I find that if presented with that type of difficult conditions I underexpose a bit, then make adjustments in Photoshop later. Saved lots of shots that way!
I guessed. None of them are exceptionally sharp. Most likely due to how tired I was. I've never really paid much attention to how heavy the camera + 55-300 is. I had worked a 12 hour noc & only catnapped an hour or so during the car ride over. So, there was lots of camera shake. I could have benefited from even a monopod.
02-11-2014, 11:50 AM   #5234
Site Supporter
savoche's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Lowlands of Norway
Posts: 8,488
QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
I guessed. None of them are exceptionally sharp. Most likely due to how tired I was. I've never really paid much attention to how heavy the camera + 55-300 is. I had worked a 12 hour noc & only catnapped an hour or so during the car ride over. So, there was lots of camera shake. I could have benefited from even a monopod.
Too slow shutter speeds and long lenses are hard to handle at the best of times. Lack of sleep is as bad as being drunk, so no wonder if you had a hard time! But yeah, a monopod wouldn't be a bad idea.
02-11-2014, 12:08 PM   #5235
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Manteca, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,653
QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
I might post some in here. The forum at large scares me.
You should post, look at my pictures, I am a terrible photographer but I still post.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
arctic cold, bacon, basque paella, beer, caffeine, camera, canada, catch 22, cheddar, cheese, dachsunds, dew, drink, dslr, gin, igunaq, k-mount, k3, kids, lutefisk, marital relations, mother, mountain, norm, patent, pentax k-3, pentax lens, possums, research, ricoh, sandwich, scotch, shirley, snoring, spam, toilet, tokyo, veggies, vermont, world
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
why I will buy a K3 chicagojohn Pentax K-3 80 09-18-2016 08:42 AM
Suggestion Neutralize the 'why I won't buy a k-3' thread crewl1 Site Suggestions and Help 61 10-04-2014 05:08 PM
Why I Won't Be Buying A K5IIs Racer X 69 Pentax K-5 40 02-03-2014 08:12 PM
Why I don't buy Pentax lenses keyser Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 44 12-20-2012 01:58 AM
I feel so old: 8 things the facebook gen won't buy Nesster General Talk 27 04-22-2012 11:01 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:49 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top