Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108820 Likes Search this Thread
07-21-2018, 07:18 AM   #52486
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
I'll probably get a charlie horse tonight, but it's been a good while since I've had a jump out of bed and start walking around cramp.
Those two I had the other night were so intense I couldn't jump put of bed and walk.

It was more like I fell onto the floor next to the bed and writhed in extreme agony. It really sucks when there is nothing one can do except wait for it to subside.

07-21-2018, 07:46 AM - 1 Like   #52487
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Those two I had the other night were so intense I couldn't jump put of bed and walk.

It was more like I fell onto the floor next to the bed and writhed in extreme agony. It really sucks when there is nothing one can do except wait for it to subside.
Actually I used to get them too. A physical therapist gave me two exercises to do. All about restoring proper curvature to your lower back. It is a nerve issue. Felt like someone drive rebar thorough my leg and was heating it with a blowtorch. The one that seemed to work best is a yoga move called the cobra. You lay on your stomach and do a variation of a pushup. You lift your body with your arms while keeping you hips on the ground. This flexes and aligns your lower back. When I started doing these exercises it greatly reduced the problem. If I start feeling one come on simply arching my back from the hips seems to control it.
07-21-2018, 07:59 AM   #52488
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
some people say that if you add ketchup to anything it makes it taste better

I am not one of that group
I call ketchup - red death....can you tell I am not a sugar fan
07-21-2018, 08:02 AM   #52489
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The smoker has left Wyoming, it's now in Ontario

Oregon.
Yeah the highway is closed just down the road from the cottage property I was at two weeks ago taking night shots. I hope they are oky there

07-21-2018, 08:03 AM - 1 Like   #52490
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
hey

Whatcha talkin bout Willis - YouTube

weren't you the guy who was told to read all of the posts in this thread upon penalty of banishment if you didn't

better start saying sorry and/or bacon in your posts again
I don't think I have enough days left ijn my life to fully catch up on this thread!!
07-21-2018, 08:03 AM - 1 Like   #52491
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sorry and bacon
07-21-2018, 08:05 AM - 1 Like   #52492
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
And to think that just a few pages back you claimed to be finished with the catching up

Sly is right. No more doodling around - start reading! The Resident Nerd will hand out the test when he's back.
Wow, you guys are a tough lot! This really is the livE hociR thread

07-21-2018, 08:07 AM - 2 Likes   #52493
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Lycra
aiiayayayyayiiiii!!!!

livE boB
07-21-2018, 08:09 AM   #52494
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
...not if all three are the same person.
Well that's no fun!!

Joking of couse
07-21-2018, 08:13 AM - 1 Like   #52495
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Maybe he decided to take a walk with his camera after getting up this morning.
One of the things I was worried about, thought his "unnamed camera" might have done him in.
07-21-2018, 08:13 AM - 1 Like   #52496
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
It is a nerve issue.
I have considered that myself.

Having had many back injuries I have been in and out of doctor's offices far too many times for consultation and referrals for treatment. I've learned some things to do that help me deal with the chronic neck, midback and lumbar pain that comes and goes. Stretching, fitness regimen, and self hypnosis have combined to make life livable, and sometimes quite enjoyable.

But I also learned early on that the nerves that pass through the areas of injury and degenerative disc disease can become irritated and that results in strange symptoms outside of the spinal region.

It has also become apparent that there are not a lot of good physicians who are experienced in diagnosing and treating those ailments.

And talking with people I know who have had various surgeries for spinal related pain still have the pain, and the new pain from the trauma caused by the surgery.

Having had major surgery on my hip and left foot, and minor surgery on my right hand I know about the side effects of surgeries. Permanent numbness and loss of touch sensation at the surgical site from sensory nerves that were hacked through to correct whatever they are going in to fix.

The recurring pain as metal bits that have been inserted and otherwise attached to bones "settle in". I doubt the pain that comes and goes where the titanium post is inserted into my left femur will ever stop. I also get what I call phantom pain, I feel the pain the joint had before it got replaced. The surgeon who did the job says there is nothing wrong and no reason I should have any pain.

I guess since he says it is so, it is so.

What does he know?

Felt like someone drive rebar thorough my leg and was heating it with a blowtorch.
Interesting way of characterizing the pain.

To me, it feels like the muscle is pulling so tightly towards its center that is is ripping the tendons from the bone, and in turn tearing itself into shreds.

*shudder!*

(Almost got a cramp just composing that!)

*shudder!*

The one that seemed to work best is a yoga move called the cobra. You lay on your stomach and do a variation of a pushup. You lift your body with your arms while keeping you hips on the ground. This flexes and aligns your lower back.
I do that all the time.

Didn't know it was a yoga thing though.

When I started doing these exercises it greatly reduced the problem.
The trouble for me is that I sometimes get lazy and fall out of the daily exercise routines.

If I start feeling one come on simply arching my back from the hips seems to control it.

I'm going to have to try to do that the next time I get a cramp. Great tip.

nice
07-21-2018, 08:18 AM - 1 Like   #52497
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
livE boB
I like that, just add long, Long Live Bob!
07-21-2018, 08:27 AM   #52498
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Slept in?

By 6:30 I have already been up for four and a half hours.
So what time do you go to bed? 6pm?
07-21-2018, 08:30 AM - 1 Like   #52499
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

...get up in the morning at 10 o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed

I said I got up later than normal at 6:30.
Normal for me is about midnight, again at 2:30ish, and around 5:00.
Damn BP medicine!

Don't make this an I get up earlier than you contest.
Michael Palin: Ahh.. Very passable, this, very passable.

Graham Chapman: Nothing like a good glass of Chateau de Chassilier wine, ay Gessiah?

Terry Jones: You're right there Obediah.

Eric Idle: Who'd a thought thirty years ago we'd all be sittin' here drinking Chateau de Chassilier wine?

MP: Aye. In them days, we'd a' been glad to have the price of a cup o' tea.

GC: A cup ' COLD tea.

EI: Without milk or sugar.

TJ: OR tea!

MP: In a filthy, cracked cup.

EI: We never used to have a cup. We used to have to drink out of a rolled up newspaper.

GC: The best WE could manage was to suck on a piece of damp cloth.

TJ: But you know, we were happy in those days, though we were poor.

MP: Aye. BECAUSE we were poor. My old Dad used to say to me, 'Money doesn't buy you happiness.'

EI: 'E was right. I was happier then and I had NOTHIN'. We used to live in this tiiiny old house, with greaaaaat big holes in the roof.

GC: House? You were lucky to have a HOUSE! We used to live in one room, all hundred and twenty-six of us, no furniture. Half the floor was missing; we were all huddled together in one corner for fear of FALLING!

TJ: You were lucky to have a ROOM! *We* used to have to live in a corridor!

MP: Ohhhh we used to DREAM of livin' in a corridor! Woulda' been a palace to us. We used to live in an old water tank on a rubbish tip. We got woken up every morning by having a load of rotting fish dumped all over us! House!? Hmph.

EI: Well when I say 'house' it was only a hole in the ground covered by a piece of tarpolin, but it was a house to US.

GC: We were evicted from *our* hole in the ground; we had to go and live in a lake!

TJ: You were lucky to have a LAKE! There were a hundred and sixty of us living in a small shoebox in the middle of the road.

MP: Cardboard box?

TJ: Aye.

MP: You were lucky. We lived for three months in a brown paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six o'clock in the morning, clean the bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down mill for fourteen hours a day week in-week out. When we got home, our Dad would thrash us to sleep with his belt!

GC: Luxury. We used to have to get out of the lake at three o'clock in the morning, clean the lake, eat a handful of hot gravel, go to work at the mill every day for tuppence a month, come home, and Dad would beat us around the head and neck with a broken bottle, if we were LUCKY!

TJ: Well we had it tough. We used to have to get up out of the shoebox at twelve o'clock at night, and LICK the road clean with our tongues. We had half a handful of freezing cold gravel, worked twenty-four hours a day at the mill for fourpence every six years, and when we got home, our Dad would slice us in two with a bread knife.

EI: Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, (pause for laughter), drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our mother would kill us, and dance about on our graves singing 'Hallelujah.'

MP: But you try and tell the young people today that... and they won't believe ya'.

ALL: Nope, nope..
07-21-2018, 08:31 AM   #52500
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Well look who's back.

See, I told 'em you were OK.

Probably out exploring the Great White North in that Subaru, taking pictures, eh?

QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
I call ketchup - red death....can you tell I am not a sugar fan
I have always had a sweet tooth. My sweet palate has matured though.

No corn syrup.

Little, if any white (death) sugar.

Brown sugar in my coffee, sprinkled with butter and some cinnamon on mashed up baked sweet potatoes, sprinkled on pie crust, to make cinnamon toast, and in that stuff that makes apple crisp so delicious.

Mostly I use fresh raw honey though.

In tea, on cereal, toasted english muffins, mixed with peanut butter and spread on toasted english muffins or for a lunchtime sammich on some whole grain bread, drizzled on salmon (along with some secret herbs and spices) while grilling a nice fillet or steak(the belly cuts taste the best because of the higher fat content there).

Sometimes I even just open the jar, dip a spoon in and take a spoonful, just to enjoy the sweet goodness from the honeybees.

My mom (in her 80's) has been a beekeeper for many years now. She places hives in different areas and gets varied shades from light gold to dark amber, almost molasses like grades of honey. The dark stuff has a molasses like taste and quality, the lighter shades are light and unique, some having flavors like lavender or clover.