Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108795 Likes Search this Thread
08-10-2018, 12:43 PM - 1 Like   #54106
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I did. It's actually a pretty cool song.
I gave it a few seconds, way too heavy for me, Mrs Bob said "That was annoying." I agree.

08-10-2018, 01:59 PM   #54107
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

( In keeping with the terms and conditions for site users, insert string of profanities of your choice here.)

Well today did not go as planned. I spent the morning working on a few of my rifles and and was going to head to the range for some shooting time. Fist off, the batteries in my Eotech red dot leaked and ruined $500 worth of holographic sights. They are over 10 years old so no use in trying to get the battery manufacturer to replace it once they depreciate it.

So I removed the sights and took of for the range anyways to shoot over the iron sights on the rifles. About 1/2 mile form home a car swerves into my land forcing me to brake pretty hard. At that point the car shuts itself down. I try to restart it but it runs for a second and then the engine dies again. That is that. So I get a tow to the dealership to effect needed repairs as the truck is still under warranty. (Free towing. Thank you AAA). Once in the service bay the tech finds that the diagnostics are saying that the Mass Air Sensor is bad. Sure enough he is right.

It seems that some mice had gotten into my air intake system and eaten a six inch hole in my air filter. Little bits of filter material had found their way into the mass air sensor. When the MAS is not happy the truck will not run. Thankfully the tech was able to clean out the sensor and the mouse nest and get the truck running again. Needing a new MAS would have added about $300 to the repair.

So I am out $750 and I didn't even have to lift a finger. Attached is a shot of the mouse eaten air filter. It was only a week old too. Less than 100 miles driving on it. Kind of looks like modern art so I am going to ask SWMBO if I can hang it on the wall. Update, SWMBO just gave me the "The Look". Maybe I need to spray paint it first.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 5c  Photo 
08-10-2018, 02:10 PM   #54108
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
So I am out $750 and I didn't even have to lift a finger. Attached is a shot of the mouse eaten air filter. It was only a week old too. Less than 100 miles driving on it. Kind of looks like modern art so I am going to ask SWMBO if I can hang it on the wall. Update, SWMBO just gave me the "The Look". Maybe I need to spray paint it first.
Seems like you need keep a cat (OOPS, initially wrote "car" ) under the bonnet (hood! ) to deal with the mice

Or else, put some cheese (bacon????) on the ground near where the vehicle is normally kept at home to entice the mice to leave their nice warm "mobile home"

Last edited by jeallen01; 08-10-2018 at 02:20 PM.
08-10-2018, 02:23 PM - 1 Like   #54109
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Best SOS I have ever had, (Sorry Mom,) Was at the Marine Corps Chow hall at the rifle range at San Onofre California. Amazing and I have had a lot of different SOS recipes over the years.
My Cheddar cheese bread that a nearby bakery makes is amazing. I will take a picture when I buy another loaf tomorrow.
I've never heard of SOS. So, google. Well I never!

08-10-2018, 02:30 PM - 2 Likes   #54110
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Jeez... Tough crowd

I'm here every night. Don't touch the nuts.
08-10-2018, 02:32 PM   #54111
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Kind of looks like modern art so I am going to ask SWMBO if I can hang it on the wall. Update, SWMBO just gave me the "The Look". Maybe I need to spray paint it first.
Do let us know how that goes!

Otis' smaller rodent friends seem to have exacted revenge on you for something.
That's pretty expensive. Could have bought a pretty nice new lens for that!
08-10-2018, 02:36 PM - 3 Likes   #54112
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Otis
Don't touch the nuts
Those words needed to be put together.

Last edited by robtcorl; 08-10-2018 at 02:52 PM.
08-10-2018, 02:51 PM - 2 Likes   #54113
Veteran Member

Mrs Bob just brought a peach cobbler out of the oven.
Dinner will be grilled burgers, and guess what's for dessert?
with ice cream
08-10-2018, 02:53 PM - 1 Like   #54114
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
Big Brother was watching and I am glad he was

" A man and his teenage son have been charged with illegal hunting after killing a female black bear in her den in southern Alaska and then shooting her two “shrieking” newborn cubs, . . .

The hunters were apparently unaware that the bears were part of a study by the United States Forest Service and the Alaska Department of Fish and Game aimed at learning more about the species and individuals’ habitats. The mother bear, or sow, had been fitted with a GPS tracking collar, and a camera monitoring her den captured the killings on video, the state troopers said. "

Hunters Andrew and Owen Renner charged after killing mother bear and newborn cubs - The Washington Post

throw the book at these guys

they are not representative of true hunters who are overwhelming ethical
Grrrr, *******s like that deserve more than just a book thrown at them. Stoning seems about right.
08-10-2018, 02:56 PM - 3 Likes   #54115
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Do let us know how that goes!

Otis' smaller rodent friends seem to have exacted revenge on you for something.
That's pretty expensive. Could have bought a pretty nice new lens for that!
Not sure. Last fall I set aside almost 800 walnuts for the neighborhood squirrels. In fact Rupert awarded me a "Citizen Squirrel Award". I think it his last award granted and I will treasure it. I even keep the cat inside. Or if he is outside, he is on a leash.

So I am declaring war on such critters. Earlier this week I discovered a nest near the brakes master cylinder. They had started chewing into the main wiring harness cable. Luckily I caught that one in time. I don't even want to think how much it would have cost to replace the wiring harness in the truck. I was nice and got taken advantage of. No more Mr. Nice Guy. The rodents did not chews wisely so they are going to pay the price.

Proof of said award.
Attached Images

08-10-2018, 04:03 PM   #54116
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
From two consecutive homes we learned that mice will go where-ever cats are restricted from going, so I let our cats (*) explore our garage every so often, especially in the Autumn. If there are currently any mice there, our senior cat has a proven ability to locate them regardless of where they are hiding, and I've been told that cats will rub against things to leave a distinctive oder behind. My goal is to make our garage a place which makes mice feel a distinct desire to go elsewhere.

(*) Younger cat is a "rescue cat", and is quite timid about leaving the house, but the senior cat {age 15} still retains her innate curiosity.
we live in a house built in 1978

we often find we have " guests "

my solution, since I don't like cats, is to get a constrictor snake

for some reason my wife didn't agree

can't figure out why, quiet, keeps out of the way and effective

sounds like it would do the trick
08-10-2018, 04:19 PM   #54117
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
As a chemist, my wife's solution, before we had a cat, was to use poison ... but the poison kept disappearing. She eventually discovered that our daughter, who was maybe seven at the time, was throwing the poison in the trash because she felt sorry for the mice.
my wife's small dog, a Japanese Chin, rules out putting out posion
08-10-2018, 04:21 PM   #54118
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Good Morning Ladies and Gentlemen

Well..........
Sleep ,Food and Cats to eat mice,Stone the Riflemen,and photos
People not happy Jan and others well......

Dave
08-10-2018, 04:26 PM   #54119
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
And Whoops I forgot about the nuts

Anyway off now to maybe use the camera if the sun shines

Dave
08-10-2018, 05:26 PM - 1 Like   #54120
Veteran Member

Get an oiled permanent K and N filter for about 50 bucks and a cleaning and re-oil kit for another 15-20. Cheaper than 2 plain old air filter replacements in most cases,and easy to clean and re-oil. Gives you another excuse to get under the hood and check fluid levels and look for vermin elsewhere once or twice a year.
« AF1 vs AF2 | - »