Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2018, 04:06 AM   #54901
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Ah, some fine Celtic Biscuits chortling delightfully.

Something is stirring deep inside me . . . . . . . . .
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
That would be gas.

08-21-2018, 04:42 AM - 1 Like   #54902
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
England did not well in the third test at Trent Bridge.

India: 329 all out and 7 for 352 declared, late on day 3.
England in reply to the first innings got 161 all out. So when they came out to bat late on day 3 needed 521 to win. The world record for winning in a fourth innings is over 100 runs less, so something historic was needed.
The latest, on day 4, is 4 for 66. So the guys employed to be batters have all gone back to the pavilion for pints leaving the tailenders and middle order to try to hold out for another 10 hours, with little prospect of rain giving sufficient interruptions to play to save their bacon.

So, maybe, they will be singing "this little piggy went to market, … and this little piggy cried … all the way home."
08-21-2018, 04:44 AM   #54903
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
England did not well in the third test at Trent Bridge.

They are two up in the series, though.

08-21-2018, 05:11 AM   #54904
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
They are two up in the series, though.

Which they did win rather convincingly.

Do you remember the England v Australia test in Adelaide, at the end of a series. Australia were doing really badly and I was looking out of the office window at the approaching rain and the question was whether they could hold out to be saved by the rain (for our American friends that is a typical English approach to test cricket). The last wicket fell, and the rain arrived before all the player would have been off the field and was so torrential that by the time it was time to go home from work there was flooding in the streets.

Oh, for the want of surviving about two more deliveries.

08-21-2018, 05:20 AM   #54905
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Do you remember the England v Australia test in Adelaide, at the end of a series. Australia were doing really badly and I was looking out of the office window at the approaching rain and the question was whether they could hold out to be saved by the rain (for our American friends that is a typical English approach to test cricket). The last wicket fell, and the rain arrived before all the player would have been off the field and was so torrential that by the time it was time to go home from work there was flooding in the streets.

They haven't won too many times in Adelaide ... was this 2010?

We got belted all round the park in that one, 5 for 620.

08-21-2018, 05:24 AM   #54906
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . . I was looking out of the office window at the approaching rain and the question was whether they could hold out to be saved by the rain (for our American friends that is a typical English approach to test cricket). . . .
really, what a concept - being saved by rain, I wonder when it started?

SPAHN, SAIN AND PRAY FOR RAIN!!!!

June 9, 2015

Sixty-seven years ago this year, the Boston Braves won the National League Pennant but lost the World Series to the Cleveland Indians in six games. On September 14 of that year, 1948, Sports Editor Gerald Hern, of the Boston Post, published a poem that went like this;

First we’ll use Spahn, then we’ll use Sain,
Then an off day, followed by rain.
Back will come Spahn, followed by Sain,
Followed, we hope, by two days of rain.

This poem was inspired by the performance of Warren Spahn and Johnny Sain, the workhorses of the National League’s Boston Braves pitching staff who were in the process of carrying the Braves on their shoulders into the World Series.

In an unbelievable stretch of twelve days beginning with a Labor Day doubleheader, the duo had won eight games without losing. On Labor Day, Spahn won the first game of the twin bill, pitching 14 innings and Sain came back and won the second game. There followed 2 days off for rain and Spahn won the next day and Sain pitched the win the following day. Three days later, Spahn won again and Sain won the next day. Then, after a day off, Spahn won the first game of a doubleheader and Sain won the second.

I don’t know if this is the greatest achievement by a pitching twosome in the history of the game but I would doubt if any pair ever put together such a stretch. Going into Labor Day, the Braves had a 2 ½ game lead over the Dodgers and Cardinals but ended the season with a 91-62 record, 6 ½ games ahead of the second place Cardinals. . . .

SPAHN, SAIN AND PRAY FOR RAIN!!!! | baseballworldbjt

for those not familiar with baseball, a starting pitcher usually has 4 days off after a start

Last edited by aslyfox; 08-21-2018 at 05:30 AM.
08-21-2018, 05:46 AM - 1 Like   #54907
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Chicken spiedini tonight, it was great, as always.
I'll post the simple recipe if anyone asks.
Looks great, so do tell, sensei!
Here you go.
Restaurants around here make it like my photo above, sliced thin and rolled, but the easy way is to chunk up the breasts, marinate in Italian dressing for 2 or 3 hours in the fridge.
Mix bread crumbs with grated Parmesan at a ratio of about 70% crumbs to 30% cheese, leave chunks wet, roll in the mix, and skewer.
(I like to add some garlic powder to the mix also)
Grill indirect until about done, then direct to brown up a bit. (tend at all times when browning, don't walk away)
Serve with a drizzle of melted butter mixed with some minced garlic, and a lemon wedge.
Use either regular bread crumbs or Panko. Boneless, skinless thighs work well too, leave whole, bread, then skewer.

08-21-2018, 05:50 AM   #54908
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

That sounds like a lot of boundaries. Is the Adelaide ground small? Or did the Australian side just forget how to play?
08-21-2018, 05:51 AM   #54909
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

That sounds like a lot of boundaries. Is the Adelaide ground small? Or did the Australian side just forget how to play?
08-21-2018, 05:53 AM   #54910
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Ooh, haven't had a double posting in a long time now!
08-21-2018, 05:53 AM   #54911
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

08-21-2018, 05:54 AM - 1 Like   #54912
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Here you go.
Restaurants around here make it like my photo above, sliced thin and rolled, but the easy way is to chunk up the breasts, marinate in Italian dressing for 2 or 3 hours in the fridge.
Mix bread crumbs with grated Parmesan at a ratio of about 70% crumbs to 30% cheese, leave chunks wet, roll in the mix, and skewer.
(I like to add some garlic powder to the mix also)
Grill indirect until about done, then direct to brown up a bit. (tend at all times when browning, don't walk away)
Serve with a drizzle of melted butter mixed with some minced garlic, and a lemon wedge.
Use either regular bread crumbs or Panko. Boneless, skinless thighs work well too, leave whole, bread, then skewer.

Okay, they're a bit like chicken rissoles, without mincing the meat - they look fantastic, Bob!

08-21-2018, 05:56 AM   #54913
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Even two in a row...
08-21-2018, 05:56 AM   #54914
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote

for those not familiar with baseball, a starting pitcher usually has 4 days off after a start
Yeah, I remember being stunned by seeing footage of Roger Clemens putting his arm in a barrel of ice as soon as the game finished to be ready for I think a 3 day start.

08-21-2018, 06:13 AM   #54915
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah, I remember being stunned by seeing footage of Roger Clemens putting his arm in a barrel of ice as soon as the game finished to be ready for I think a 3 day start.
I have never played ball but it is usual that after a starting pitcher has left the game, they wrap his pitching arm up with ice bags underneath apparently from the shoulder down t