Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2018, 04:08 AM - 3 Likes   #57586
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A friend of mine walked out of his business yesterday, crossed the parking lot to go for a (group) bike ride from our local cycling shop and collapsed right there. Very luckily, for him, several of our cycling mates were also there. One called the ambulance, the other started CPR immediately and yet another (a medical doctor) helped.

The ambulance arrived within 4 minutes - this was right in the middle of town. They had to shock him twice to get his heart firing. Hauled off to Emergency dept at local hospital and then flown to Wellington where they inserted a stent this morning. I spoke with him this afternoon. He's OK, on the mend - should be out of hospital tomorrow.

Several things here worked perfectly in his favour: At least 3 people knew how to perform CPR correctly and did so within seconds of him hitting the deck. The ambulance that arrived was the one with the onboard defib machine and it was there in four minutes. If he had already been on his bike ride when this happened, he may have been 25km out of town and not in an area with mobile phone coverage. Had that occured, the outcome would have been very different.

Make sure you guys know what to do in an emergency. He said he had no warning. One second he felt fine, the next he was out. He did say that it would have been the perfect way to check out of this world. But perhaps not just yet!

Last edited by MarkJerling; 09-20-2018 at 05:50 AM.
09-20-2018, 07:37 AM - 1 Like   #57587
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
So you got something for free at a supermarket and your complaining ?

Dave
I can bottle some up to send you Dave.
Are you working out of the Florida studio today?
09-20-2018, 09:51 AM   #57588
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
I can bottle some up to send you Dave.
Are you working out of the Florida studio today?
Hi Bob

No need to bottle any ...we've got plenty already
My studio view is ... a rolling hillside populated with field lice and a blowing wind.....does that sound like Florida ?

Dave
09-20-2018, 10:08 AM   #57589
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
A friend of mine walked out of his business yesterday, crossed the parking lot to go for a (group) bike ride from our local cycling shop and collapsed right there. Very luckily, for him, several of our cycling mates were also there. One called the ambulance, the other started CPR immediately and yet another (a medical doctor) helped.

The ambulance arrived within 4 minutes - this was right in the middle of town. They had to shock him twice to get his heart firing. Hauled off to Emergency dept at local hospital and then flown to Wellington where they inserted a stent this morning. I spoke with him this afternoon. He's OK, on the mend - should be out of hospital tomorrow.

Several things here worked perfectly in his favour: At least 3 people knew how to perform CPR correctly and did so within seconds of him hitting the deck. The ambulance that arrived was the one with the onboard defib machine and it was there in four minutes. If he had already been on his bike ride when this happened, he may have been 25km out of town and not in an area with mobile phone coverage. Had that occured, the outcome would have been very different.

Make sure you guys know what to do in an emergency. He said he had no warning. One second he felt fine, the next he was out. He did say that it would have been the perfect way to check out of this world. But perhaps not just yet!
A coworker died of a massive heat attack a couple Saturday’s back, at home, I believe.

He was young, 42, but overweight, out of shape, and smoked.

Sad that he passed, to be sure.

09-20-2018, 11:08 AM   #57590
Veteran Member

My studio view is ... a rolling hillside populated with field lice and a blowing wind.....does that sound like Florida ?
Sounds like Kansas, except for the field lice.
Are you sure that's not wheat chaff you're seeing?
09-20-2018, 11:33 AM - 1 Like   #57591
Veteran Member

Luck was on his side that day...

...well depends on your definition of luck, I wouldn't call getting a heart attack particularly lucky...
09-20-2018, 12:39 PM   #57592
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

... a rolling hillside populated with field lice .......
Field lice?

09-20-2018, 12:46 PM   #57593
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
A coworker died of a massive heat attack a couple Saturday’s back, at home, I believe.

He was young, 42, but overweight, out of shape, and smoked.

Sad that he passed, to be sure.
Ouch. Sorry to hear that.
My friend is a skinny cyclist. Go figure!
09-20-2018, 12:46 PM   #57594
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Luck was on his side that day...

...well depends on your definition of luck, I wouldn't call getting a heart attack particularly lucky...
Very lucky. If it was 30 minutes later.....
09-20-2018, 12:47 PM - 1 Like   #57595
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Of course, he's still lucky. The whole escapade will cost him $0.
09-20-2018, 01:19 PM   #57596
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

That's definitely fit to scare you! I attended a 4-hour first aid course including the use of defibs a few years ago. It was a really good course with practical excercises and role play, and a real confidence booster. They recommend attending such a course at least every five years. I think the last time I went through anything like this (sans the defib) was my last army excercise some ten years earlier.
09-20-2018, 01:53 PM - 1 Like   #57597
dbs
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Field lice?
Hi Racer

Sheep...
.Not as many per head compared to NZ...
.But there everywhere

Dave
09-20-2018, 02:05 PM - 4 Likes   #57598
Veteran Member

Hi Racer

Sheep...
.Not as many per head compared to NZ...
.But there everywhere
Dave
09-20-2018, 02:06 PM   #57599
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Of course, he's still lucky. The whole escapade will cost him $0.
Socialized health care?
09-20-2018, 02:17 PM - 2 Likes   #57600
dbs
Pentaxian

Good Morning Ladies and Gentlemen

Well.....

Watchout for friends and aquaintances....some are checking out far too early

Maybe a BACON bbq is in order

Dave