Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108807 Likes Search this Thread
09-24-2018, 03:07 AM   #57706
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I still sit down each month and pay all my bills the old fashioned way, with my checkbook.
Cheques ("checks"!) have gone almost totally "out of fashion" here, and many, many companies won't accept them any more - only electronic payments by card or on-line.
Pretty much the only times I use them nowadays are to pay my government tax bills and the guy who services our c/h boiler once a year!

09-24-2018, 03:36 AM   #57707
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
Cheques ("checks"!) have gone almost totally "out of fashion" here, and many, many companies won't accept them any more - only electronic payments by card or on-line.
Pretty much the only times I use them nowadays are to pay my government tax bills and the guy who services our c/h boiler once a year!
I can't remember the last time I saw one. Must be at least 20 years.

I did a quick search on the web and can't find any banks admitting to still issuing them, but I did find one that has a price list that includes the price for redeeming a cheque - about US$7. If it's the same on your side of the North Sea I guess we know why companies refuse to accept them.
09-24-2018, 05:36 AM - 1 Like   #57708
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I do some online bill paying, but Mrs Bob handles most payments and only writes checks.
She likes her paper statements too.
09-24-2018, 05:45 AM - 3 Likes   #57709
Veteran Member

Still battling this stupid cold, it's a week old today, but finally fading.
Last night's shrimp on the barbie:

09-24-2018, 11:56 AM   #57710
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
I do some online bill paying, but Mrs Bob handles most payments and only writes checks.
She likes her paper statements too.
We do about half online, half paper for paying bills. And we do keep paper statements for all bills & accounts.
09-24-2018, 12:36 PM   #57711
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I hate it when someone on occasion sends me an invoice on paper. Or even on email, even if it's a bit less of a hassle when one can copy and paste the details. Thankfully most of the bills are fully electronic. No missed payments, always paid on the date.

I did keep paper copies of most things up until some years ago (ok, maybe ten years, grumble...). Not anymore. It wouldn't make any difference anyway. The computers own us. Totally.
09-24-2018, 12:44 PM - 3 Likes   #57712
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Heck, I even used to carry cash. Stopped that, too, some years ago - but definitely less than ten! I think... Anyway, now it's plastic all the way. Or paying with the phone, even if I don't see the point of it. It's like having a huge battery dependent cc... I don't want my bus pass on the phone, either, as long as I have a choice. It's just too "smart".

Then again, some will use their phones for everything. Don't they have teeth?

09-24-2018, 12:50 PM - 2 Likes   #57713
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I even used to carry cash.
I carry cash for thrift stores.
09-24-2018, 01:15 PM - 1 Like   #57714
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I can't remember the last time I saw one. Must be at least 20 years.

I did a quick search on the web and can't find any banks admitting to still issuing them, but I did find one that has a price list that includes the price for redeeming a cheque - about US$7. If it's the same on your side of the North Sea I guess we know why companies refuse to accept them.
Virtually dead here too. Banks still issue chequebooks on some accounts, mostly business accounts. But most everyone does electronic banking here. I predict that cheques will be a thing of the past here in another 5 years.
Already almost as dead as the fax machine.
09-24-2018, 01:16 PM - 3 Likes   #57715
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
I still use checks (cheques). Whenever a company wants to convert me over I tell them that I will do it when they issue me a binding contract assuming full responsibility for any financial damages I incur when their system is hacked and my accounts affected. They also have to assume responsibility for correcting the issue and getting my credit rating restored.

I have been the victim of ID theft three times including once where the bank I use was hacked and my checking account drained of over $1,200. The bank made it good, but froze my account until a new ATM card could be issued. I was on the road at the time and the only way I found out was that my card would not work and I called the bank to see what was up.

I also pay cash for a lot. Kind of sad when you see a young cashier not being able to count out 93 cents in change and just giving me a dollar instead.
09-24-2018, 01:19 PM   #57716
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I hate it when someone on occasion sends me an invoice on paper. Or even on email, even if it's a bit less of a hassle when one can copy and paste the details. Thankfully most of the bills are fully electronic. No missed payments, always paid on the date.

I did keep paper copies of most things up until some years ago (ok, maybe ten years, grumble...). Not anymore. It wouldn't make any difference anyway. The computers own us. Totally.
I've gone paperless at work. All payments and income is electronic and there are no paper invoices. I use the Xero online accounting system, so that's completely paperless too.
Annie still keeps a paper file at home for home bills.
09-24-2018, 01:21 PM - 2 Likes   #57717
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I carry cash for thrift stores.
You're buying thrift stores?
I'm impressed!
09-24-2018, 01:24 PM   #57718
Veteran Member

I always have a few dollars in my wallet, anywhere from 10 to 50, but do use my debit card most of the time.
09-24-2018, 02:51 PM - 3 Likes   #57719
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Cards for convenience is ok....but
I don't like filling the pockets of the banks....so
Cash for most of my dealings.
Over here the banks have a surcharge on every transaction you make with a card
And I can buy more BACON that way

Dave
09-24-2018, 05:16 PM - 1 Like   #57720
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Then again, some will use their phones for everything. Don't they have teeth?

Hey!

That guy's phone is trying to eat his beer!